Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear spoiler

ste m993

Trainee
My rear spoiler does not sit flush to the engine cover.
I have tried putting weight on it,which works for about a day then it lifts again.
Has any body had the same problem?
Has any body managed to fix it?

Steve
94BF0D81-A8AF-4A7D-BEF9-0AB7D2ADC00E-242-00000015F5D9BBCB_zps803d38ba.jpg

Do you mean at the top (under the rear window)? Mine does this and it seems to be dependent upon the weather/heat, when it is very hot the centre bows very slightly moving it just proud of the rest of the engine lid.

Was at a car show on Sunday in the heat, and the other 993 next to mine was exactly the same. He'd never noticed before.

Not sure there is a solution!

Hi Rob
Yes it's the top edge under the window
I have also got paint loss on all 4 corners,where i'ts rubbed on the lid,is yours the same?

Steve

ste m993 said:
Hi Rob
Yes it's the top edge under the window
I have also got paint loss on all 4 corners,where i'ts rubbed on the lid,is yours the same?

Steve

To stop the corners rubbing you can make the spolier lower orhigher by adding or removing the metal packing spacers
In your case if you undo the 6 bolts holding the whole spoiler assembly to the boot lid slip out a spacer or more till the spoiler lifits inside the boot opening
It will make sense once you look carefully at how its all assembled
If you are still getting rubbing or the bottom edges, adjust on the micro switches so the spoiler does not retract fully down and touch the bodywork

Are they prone to warping then ?
If it is warped then I presume the only way to get it flush is to buy a new one?

Steve

Probably best if you had a huge spoiler on it in black which dissipates heat better and the downforce will keep it flat, a straight swap for mine would help you out no end ( not that I'm trying to return my spolier to standard of course, oh no :hand: )

Just trying to help a fellow 993er :D

ste m993 said:
Are they prone to warping then ?
If it is warped then I presume the only way to get it flush is to buy a new one?

Steve

They do warp as others have said & when I first looked at your picture that's what I thought, which is why I only explained how to stop the 4 corners rubbing.
But looking again, whilst it is warped a little it should still sit more flush than it does,I suspect someone has tried to stop it rubbing by adjusting the down stop on the micro switch rather than adjusting the spacing using the packers.
You need to set the spoiler height using the packers then fine tune it with the down stops on the micro switch
Its a bit of a trade off between sitting flush and not rubbing the bodywork
plus the spoilers do bow a little in the middle which makes it more difficult to align
It will take a lot of dicking about to get it looking right and also not rubbing through the paint, but still easier than having to repaint the spoiler and boot lid cos the paint has worn off, then having to re align it anyway

So take your time to work out how it all fits together and the bits interact with each other then adjust it all a bit at a time till it's right

I've got 3 spacers each side, took 2 out , spoiler looks like it's not rubbing but the gap across the top is bigger. So I'm going to put the spacers back in and adjusting the switches.

ste m993 said:
I've got 3 spacers each side, took 2 out , spoiler looks like it's not rubbing but the gap across the top is bigger. So I'm going to put the spacers back in and adjusting the switches.

As you've taken the two spacers out so the spoiler sits higher and stopped it rubbing try adjusting the micro switch stop first which will allow the spoiler to close tighter into the boot lid opening and may be enough to close the gap you have at the top, before you experiment with adding the spacers back in
Mine fitted perfect with one spacer per side and adjustment, although by the very nature of the cars it may not be the same for your car :)

Mine bows (sits high) in the middle when hot. Fine all other times :eh!: . Don't think its a problem. :thumb:

I seem to recall mine bulged in the centre. The 964 doesn't and sits a lot better flush with the lid however they end up with a hairline crack on that top edge :nooo: every 964 I've seen has one.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCGMS
Back