Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear Spoiler sensor/plug question.

32-BOY

I have purchased my first 996 couple of weeks back. When i was buying the car the rear spoiler was not working so it was constantly in up position, i know my way around cars a bit so i knew it would of been fixable. So ended up stripping the whole rear wing cleaning out the mechanism, re greased it and put it back together. The spoiler now goes up and down really smoothly when i use the switch. I haven't driven the var yet to see if it will automatically go up when i reach the 75 and if it goes down when i go below 37. The question i have is...what is the plug in the attached photos responsible for as its seems a bit damaged and it was unplugged.

Thanks Jakub

Attachments

• e54bad80_49ff_4a62_9785_6585f7bc28d2_106.jpeg
    e54bad80_49ff_4a62_9785_6585f7bc28d2_106.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,133
  • 88d8b1d7_96ca_4ab5_80c1_e0dca138f0a6_975.jpeg
    88d8b1d7_96ca_4ab5_80c1_e0dca138f0a6_975.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,133
That's one of the micro switches .. or rather what's left of one ..

You should have 3 ..

One tells the car the up position is reached .

One tells the car the down position is reached .

One activates the high level brake light .

In manual mode it will go up and down if one of the position switches is inop .. in auto so above 75 mph then a fault with either of these will throw up a dash warning message .

If its the brake light then it just wont work i would expect .

Ok so it looks like i need a new switch, any reputable online sellers i can purchase switch like that from or is it main dealer only?

An OPC will sell you the entire loom , it won't be a seperate item i expect .

Its a basic micro switch but your into the likes of maplin or electrical manufacturers to try an source the correct one .. a bit difficult ..

After that i would search Ebay for a loom .

Edit ..

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/switches/microswitches-accessories/microswitches/

I'm not searching that lot so upto you lol .

Thanks for that i will shoot them an email and try to look through the lot tonight. :thumbs:

A bit of a guess but i feel that's the lower position micro switch .. the other 2 are next to each other which to me would indicate fully raised and high level brake light .

1559 switches to check :)

At the end of the day if it operates and is held in place then an exact one won't matter .

Please do me a favour and see if you still have the part number sticker on the loom?

The microswitches are not available separately as a Porsche part and are part of the loom.

My local OPC could not find the correct loom part number and I ended up having to buy a whole new second hand decklid with loom, but this has issues too. The light often stays on as I drive off, it usually pops up at 75mph, but usually won't retract when I slow. It then, on the manual button, sometimes only goes down a short distance before stopping, or goes down all the way down. Once you push it in the up position, it will go all the way up, but won't even try to come back down until the ignition is reset. With 2 decklids, relays replaced and loom connector clean, I reckon its the instrument cluster on mine causing intermittent issues. The more I drive it, the better it seems to get.

My loom was from a 98 Cabrio, so also has a high level brake light which it needs to switch off, when it switches on the one in the spoiler and vice versa.

So....ive taken the car for a spin today,

When i statred the car up the red icon on dash was on stating that the spoiler was up im guessing? but it was not, it was down. i let the car tick over for couple of minutes and then i pulled away and the light went off.

Went over 75 on a private road and it cam up and went back down on its own. also fully goes up and down when button is used.

So mu question is, is the connection fully functioning?

Also ill have a look over the weekend if i can find the number on the loom

32-BOY said:

When i statred the car up the red icon on dash was on stating that the spoiler was up im guessing? but it was not, it was down. i let the car tick over for couple of minutes and then i pulled away and the light went off.

Went over 75 on a private road and it cam up and went back down on its own. also fully goes up and down when button is used.

That's exactly as it should behave. The light should stay on until you drive off, to show you it's working. It should only come back on if there's an issue such as it not deploying at 75mph. It's a warning light.

Mine tends to go out as normal now, but often comes on as the spoiler deploys, which it shouldn't. It didn't retract when I came to a stop either.
The button only brings it down a bit, so a sensor signal seems to be missing.

I bet it comes down when I drive it tomorrow and the light goes off as normal.

I reckon it's my car telling me to drive it more. It recently became my daily, after the Jag went through an Armco barrier last week, after hitting a flash flood on a motorway.

YPVS said:
32-BOY said:

That's exactly as it should behave. The light should stay on until you drive off, to show you it's working. It should only come back on if there's an issue such as it not deploying at 75mph. It's a warning light.

Mine tends to go out as normal now, but often comes on as the spoiler deploys, which it shouldn't. It didn't retract when I came to a stop either.
The button only brings it down a bit, so a sensor signal seems to be missing.

I bet it comes down when I drive it tomorrow and the light goes off as normal.

I reckon it's my car telling me to drive it more. It recently became my daily, after the Jag went through an Armco barrier last week, after hitting a flash flood on a motorway.

Yes i have been driving it around and it seems to be working just fine, lucky me i guess.

And yes i use my daily, i even use it as a curry delivery car :lol:

If it's any help for anyone, I had my spoiler drive from my second deck lid apart today to grease and inspect the microswitches.

On my 98 C2 Cabrio, the switch on it's own for the high level brake light had a part written on it of V4NS-9100601. The two switches stacked on top of each other, for upper limit and lower limit, had V4NS-9100599 written on them in orange writing.

The grease had gone a bit hard in there, so a bit of spray grease had smoothened it up. The light still seems to want to stay on even though the spoiler deploys, but it seems to be getting better.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsl997
Back