Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Really stupid question...

Milo72

Spa-Francorchamps
I just replaced a leaking hose in the bottom of the engine, about 5 litres of coolant came out when I took leaking hose off before fitting the new one. I was going to refill and the tank in the engine bay is still to the top.

Is it a case of running the engine to circulate or should it be added under pressure?

Many Thanks

Sounds like an air lock just run the engine to pump the air out and fluid round it sometimes helps to get the rear in the air then the radiators in the front become the lowest part of the system

Did you take the cap off the coolant tank before taking the pipe off ? All the coolant you lost was from the radiators and subsequent pipes that go to the radiators as they will be level with the removed pipe.Therefore you will have an airlock.

The black " lump " on the coolant bottle .. lift the metal clip so it goes vertical .. remove the coolant cap and it should drain down and you will have space to add coolant .

On the off chance you have some strange issue then rad cap off .. start the car and blip the throttle then see if the lvl drops .. it certainly should !!

I think the bleed valve will do the job though .

One seperate tip ...

Coolant has been drained .. you refill it .. then with a bar on the acc pedal and the seat you hold the car at 3K rpm with this .. you then fill the coolant bottle and it will start bubbling .. let it settle .. fill to max .. refit the bottle cap then remove the rod on acc pedal.

Rare you need a top up after this .

Thank you for you help and advice..

I have got all but about 2 litres back in, will the air work it's way out just through driving or should I persevere with the instructions above ?

Run the car upto operating temps whilst keeping an eye on the temp gauge .. have the heater on hot .

Switch off and leave overnight .. a top up in the morning will usually suffice .

Obviously .. never remove a rad cap on a hot engine .. the system will be pressurised .. remove the cap and this goes .. pressure increases the boiling point so a lack of it means it can instantly boil and erupt out of the cap .

deMort said:
Run the car upto operating temps whilst keeping an eye on the temp gauge .. have the heater on hot .

Switch off and leave overnight .. a top up in the morning will usually suffice .

Thank you very much Sir.... :worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBavers
Back