Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Re-Mapping - what do we think?

siggyboy

I am by no means able to go beyond opening the door at the back to look at the engine, so bear with me.
I think I saw this first on Instagram and just fired off an email to this company asking for a few more details, this is what I received back:

'I would expect a performance re-map on your 911 to increase horsepower by 15 and torque by 16lb/ft. You'll also experience improved drivability and potentially better fuel economy.

Naturally aspirated engines don't have the same gains as turbo charged engines - we typically see a 25-30% increase in bhp & torque for turbo charged engines.

However, that isn't to say you won't notice the difference in your 911 and we offer a 30-day money back guarantee. So if you aren't satisfied with the results we can revert the map back to the original and refund you.

A custom written map for your 911 would be £290. This represents a 30% discount from our normal pricing for bookings taken before the end of April."

The company is called Unit Five Tuning in Bournemouth
https://www.unitfivetuning.co.uk/

I have no clue whether this is a good or bad idea, so I would appreciate any insights you might have.

Good to know Mezgerite, thanks for the reply.
I'm guessing that the majority of engines are as different and temperamental as the women in our lives, but what percentage increases could you be looking at with a professional tune?

Depends if you add other mods at the same time eg exhaust air filter cats manifolds Throttle body etc then gains are possible

As a stand alone mod a remap its worth much , the gen1 gains are better than the gen2 .
remaps are only good if you are combining it with a group of mods that improve air in and gas out

and any map under £500 is going to be a generic reflash and not a custom tune specific to your car and the mods you have done to it.

infact some of the cheap reflashes are worse as all they do is make the engine run lean and mess with the timing too much.they dont care about the longevity of your engine all they want to do it get as much as they can out on the graph and it doesn't matter that its not good for the engine what they have done

So unless your adding a group of mods you need to trust Porsche have got the best power out for the stock engine that its safe to do. :thumb:

note I live in Bournemouth and took my car to chip wizards in Bolton for the remap after the mods , thats will tell you what I think of the local tuners :grin: they are fine for the corsa boys with the coke can exhaust :grin: :thumb:

Nothing to do with mapping but for a mod that gives weight advantage if nothing else.
Brought a lithium battery it only weights 2kilos so that is a 16 kilo or there about weight loss and so will have some advantages tho be it small.
Better than a £500 Remap perhaps ?

I make this point all of the time.
Do not modify your 911 in any way shape or form.
You will only de value it.
If you want to go faster, buy a faster 911 .
Or alternatively learn to drive.
Proper advanced or circuit tuition will make much more financial sense.
Believe me, once you have been taught how to drive correctly. You will realise just how little you knew.
Your road driving will be transformed, & then perhaps you will see that you dont need a faster car.
These cars have far more potential in stock form than 99.9% of the people driving them have talent.

C2.1GTS.2 said:
I make this point all of the time.
Do not modify your 911 in any way shape or form.
You will only de value it.
If you want to go faster, buy a faster 911 .
Or alternatively learn to drive.
Proper advanced or circuit tuition will make much more financial sense.
Believe me, once you have been taught how to drive correctly. You will realise just how little you knew.
Your road driving will be transformed, & then perhaps you will see that you dont need a faster car.
These cars have far more potential in stock form than 99.9% of the people driving them have talent.

I agree totally but messing about and modifying is a hobby, fun and great satisfaction to most.

I have spent years doing track days on bikes and cars and yep learning how to drive efficiently is an eye opener even the advanced driving courses are more than worth it.
Do not intend modifying my car as I like it as it is, its way fast enough for any road use at any time as I am more like driving miss Daisy.
Get banned or dead driving too quickly on the roads, you should see the nutters on the EVO triangle in Wales or similar
Have seen some monstrous crashes in Wales over the years

I thought this website was quite interesting

https://www.br-performance.lu/en-lu...4-997-2004-2011/4295-3-6i-carrera/?stage=3421

Has power increase figures list for all generations of cars - stage 1 and stage 2.
I have a 3,6 Carrera - per web site with an exhaust, plenum, throttle body and a remap/tune I can go from 325 to 370.
I believe this has always been Phil's point - the right mods with a good tune can make a material difference.

Just interesting to see someone laying it all out I thought.

For a non-turbo car I wouldn't bother. It wont be worth the cost or risk. It possible you wouldn't even notice or ever use an extra 25 bhp.

Personally I'd spend the cash on exhaust bypass to get better sound (and a small bhp increase), and then potentially lowering springs/spacers to enhance the stance.

Porsche offer a X51 performance pack for around 8k which will give you 26bhp.

Work it out :dont know:

I can honestly say on a 997.1 28/30bhp poss up to 35 bhp increase using the known group of mods and a remap is realistic and achievable. but remember to account for any age related losses your own car may have before getting disappointed you only seemed to gain 15bhp versus the original new BHP of the car. its because your engine was down 20bhp from where its new BHP was .

What you need to consider is that group of mods fitted and a proper live remap are going to cost you from £4500 up so only the owner knows it thats a cost they want to spend for those gains.
The 997.2 with the same group of mods with give you more like 18/20 bhp .

I get the driving skills argument totally and the is the cost worth the gain argument both very good arguments .

But for some part of the fun and the journey is seeing what can be done to these cars. and thats where the modding is at. some want to tweak the power ,some modify the look ,some both. each person knows what they want from their 997 and what they can justify financially playing with it. then there's the camp that are focussed on improving the handling and consider lowering and improving suspension parts along with a good geo set up are the important things .

Many would say just spend 10k on a blower and add 150bhp to your 997.1 Carrera others would love to do that but cant justify the cost as its 5% of their mortgage they could pay off etc , others have wives with heavy handbags so cant take the chance they get caught modding :grin:

everyone has a 911 for different personal reasons and all of them are fine but we must be careful not to knock those that have a different reason than ours .

I sometime think its odd to see a group of guys huddled together discussing what size bolt they used for this or that then I realise I accidentally gatecrashed a PCGB meeting :floor: but joking aside we are all enjoying the same cars but for slightly different reasons :thumb:

rob_p said:
I thought this website was quite interesting

https://www.br-performance.lu/en-lu...4-997-2004-2011/4295-3-6i-carrera/?stage=3421

Has power increase figures list for all generations of cars - stage 1 and stage 2.
I have a 3,6 Carrera - per web site with an exhaust, plenum, throttle body and a remap/tune I can go from 325 to 370.
I believe this has always been Phil's point - the right mods with a good tune can make a material difference.

Just interesting to see someone laying it all out I thought.

Thats an interesting link Rob, Yes I do think its about a group of mods not just single things . and where the gains are had, you see for me if the power curve in the low mid range was much improved, the top end BHP number is much less important as for a fast road car the low mid range gains are what you want .

Ideally a balance of improving the power curve a bit and the way the cars handles .

Semi solid engine mounts and lowering the car can bring as many grins as more power is you enjoy those bendy country roads. :thumb: :thumb:

But I cant mention it enough especially when I see a graph stating a starting BHP you must allow for age related power losses it happened to some degree to all engines . so you could have 355bhp new but at 14 years old it could easily be 330/335bhp your starting with :thumb: :thumb:

which could spark a whole new debate on whether its better to spend say 5k on mods to gain 30bhp or 8k on an engine rebuild to gain more or less the same and remove any risks :dont know:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsl997
Back