Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Re-fitting the Porsche Rear reflector strip on a 993 C4S

Superlight91

I can't find ref. in my 993 books or owners manual to removal/refitting of the rear reflector panel that features the reversing lamps and fogs.

I had to remove this today (for no particular reason other than my local MOT testing station didn't realise front fogs had to be lit for the rears switch to become live on my 993 - and they kept failing it on "bulbs" - grr).

Anyway after checking these myself outside the testing centre - I am having difficulty re-fitting this panel.

What is the technique/ or are there any links to a diagram or explanation of how to clip this assembly back in easily? Its driving me mad now, as it should be so easy.

Still, while its off it gives me the opportunity to clean behind the entire rear light array (must try to make something positive out of an otherwise big waste of time pursuing a local MOT for 2 days running)!

Apart from the three allen-headed bolts - which you remove, there are also three sunken vertical screws in the reflector housing whose crossheads are exposed when the black protector strip across the top of the reflector housing has been removed. These have to be turned out about 10mm (until their heads are flush with top face of reflector housing) to allow the reflector housing to be pulled backwards, as they otherwise engage in three metal brackets to additionally locate and fix the reflector.

(shamelessly stolen from another thread) :grin:

Page 115 of Owner's Manual (Practical Tips, Minor Repairs Chapter, Changing Bulbs sub-section)

When I did mine, I found that slackening off the ADDITIONAL slot adjustment Torx screws (forward/aft alignment) WITHIN the lamp unit (look down to the base of the long Philips screws) released the tension on the Philips screws.

Those Philips screws are NOT high torque heads, and they are NOT replaceable - so don't round them off.

Can I ask- if I buy a new central rear reflector does the existing wiring/bulbs etc simply slot easily into place- or when buying a new rear
reflector does it come with reversing lights etc in situ?

thanks

carkid said:
Can I ask- if I buy a new central rear reflector does the existing wiring/bulbs etc simply slot easily into place- or when buying a new rear
reflector does it come with reversing lights etc in situ?

thanks

Hi,

When I replaced mine in Q8 some years back it came fully fitted with bulbs and wiring. All that was needed to do was unplug the old one and plug in the new. In fact when I had the reflector upgraded to include the rear guard lights (mine didn't have them as standard) to conform to UK / EU rules I gave the bulb holders and wiring from my old one to OPC Q8 to fit. They are the same bulb holders and bulbs as the reversing lights.

ATB :)

Mine had all the bulbs in, and was plug-and-play.

Thanks for the info.........

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MainA
Back