Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Random thumbs up and flashing of lights...

giraffeinbath

Silverstone
I've noticed over the last 12 month or so an increasing number of random drivers (often in work vans) giving me a honk, a wave, flash of lights or a thumbs up as they approach.

At first I assumed there was a speed trap around the corner, or that something was hanging off the car but it would seem it's an appreciative 'hello'.

I'm used to this driving our old VW camper van. You'll often get a wave or smile from kids and adults alike in town, and frequently get a flash of lights and a nod from approaching car drivers who obviously have an affiliation with old VW's, after a while it becomes quite normal.

I've never experienced this in the 996 though until recently, I guess it took a little while to dawn on me I was getting waved at in a friendly way as;

a) the first thing I noticed when I bought the 996 was other drivers seem to stop being friendly and no-one lets you out of junctions anymore...

b) I'd have thought an early 996 carrera would be a bit generic for that sort of thing. They don't have the same friendly cross cultural appeal as an old VW camper, so it must be people who have a soft spot for a 996 specifically, I can't imagine those folk are waving at every P-car that passes them.

It's obviously not a daily occurrence, or even weekly event, but it's happened enough times recently to have become a noticeable thing.

I wonder whether it's something to do with 996's being cast in a more positive light in recent times through car mags, you tube and the like resulting in a tendency for those with an interest to give a nod where as they may not have bothered before?
Unless of course I've just found myself a stalker...

Anyone else noticed random strangers waving at them recently?

Nothing to do with being a 996. Half the folk who do it dont even know what a 996 is. Its because its a 911, nothing else.

You get it even more on the continent.

I have noticed that other drivers won't let me out at junctions or change lane, but haven't had any random waves yet.

Since owing mine I've noticed more people in such a rush to over take/keep up with me regardless to their own safety and cars ability.
Roundabouts are particularly fun, with so much grip I often see them getting out of shape in the rear-view mirror. :floor:

Alex said:
Nothing to do with being a 996. Half the folk who do it dont even know what a 996 is. Its because its a 911, nothing else.

You get it even more on the continent.

Maybe, I would have thought there were enough 911's rolling around for people not to feel the need to flash them though. I had 3 separate 'flash and thumbs up' in one 20 mile journey recently which was odd, I've just never really experienced/noticed it in the 996 until recently.

sparkywig said:
I have noticed that other drivers won't let me out at junctions or change lane, but haven't had any random waves yet.

I've found the common experience between driving the two is that everyone wants to be in front of you. In the van I assume it's because they perceive you as being too slow, in the Porsche I guess it's because they feel they have something to prove ;)

omigod said:
Since owing mine I've noticed more people in such a rush to over take/keep up with me regardless to their own safety and cars ability.
Roundabouts are particularly fun, with so much grip I often see them getting out of shape in the rear-view mirror. :floor:

That too :D

It's part of the reason I took the aerokit wing off mine and fitted a standard lid to be less conspicuous because I got bored of boy racers driving an inch off my rear bumper, it was like a red rag too a bull. The 996 may not be fast by current day standards but as you say, they'll handle the corners ;)

One strange thing I've noticed, is if I'm dawdling at 70 in the middle lane on a mway, people in the fast lane sometimes seem very reluctant to pass me. Especially those that have approached at high speed with a clear road ahead. Often they'll slow down and move in behind me.

Not sure why, maybe they see a 911 obeying the speed limit and think something must be afoot. :dont know: :cop:

giraffeinbath said:
I've found the common experience between driving the two is that everyone wants to be in front of you. In the van I assume it's because they perceive you as being too slow, in the Porsche I guess it's because they feel they have something to prove ;)

True
:lol:

People keep flashing you you say? Are you sure someone has not added a pineapple bumper sticker or similar?

Where I used to work the boss at one of our smaller sites had a red boxster and used to reverse it into his parking space so never noticed the rear appendage for quite a few weeks

All I can say is his team must have really loved him :hand:

This thread reminds me of a road trip in Germany it was a bank holiday so lots of germans out in their 911s I was happily waiving at then got no waves back just stared at , I said to KJD Kev who was navigator , "not very friendly these German chaps" , to which Kev said "Phil have you considered its your wave " I was puzzled then realised my enthusiastic wave did resemble a NAZI salute :grin: :grin: "oops" I said to Kev and spent the rest of the trip waving like our dear queen with the rotating hand wave :floor: :floor: :floor:

991.2GTS said:
One strange thing I've noticed, is if I'm dawdling at 70 in the middle lane on a mway, people in the fast lane sometimes seem very reluctant to pass me. Especially those that have approached at high speed with a clear road ahead. Often they'll slow down and move in behind me.

Not sure why, maybe they see a 911 obeying the speed limit and think something must be afoot. :dont know: :cop:

Funnily enough, the same happened to me yesterday on the M5 Northbound just after Wellington. Cruise set to 75mph and I had a McLaren and an R8 slow down and moving into the lane behind me on separate occasions.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluellen
Back