Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rain Sensor

nickt68

Trainee
Having my windscreen replaced tomorrow (2005 997 C2S) and fitter has asked if I had a rain sensor which I didn't think I did.

However, he asked if my rear view mirror was fixed to the windscreen and if it had a plastic "cigar shaped" tube going up towards the roof. It has both and he said that this was to do with the rain sensor and that all of the 997s he had seen had this apart from a couple. He also said that it may need re-coding to work?

Just wondered if anyone else has come across this and/or if I do in fact have a rain sensor fitted?!

The "cigar tube" also delivers power to the auto-dimming mirror (where fitted)

You need to check for the rain sensor "eye" on the back of "cigar tube" (this is visible through the front windsceen and looks like a ring of blueish LEDs)

img1190le.jpg

Thanks Paul, I have got the black ring on the screen but don't think I've got the LEDs - is the tube a standard fit item and only gets wires/LEDs if you tick the appropriate options?

The 997 screen comes with a rain sensor bracket as standard, but not all cars have the rain sensor installed; some are dummies.

If the screen is 'set' correctly, it should be slightly recessed and the extruded trim should be chamfering up against the painted rebate, and not flush with it.

Try and get a peak at the paintwork after the old screen is removed.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfaMax1996
Back