Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Radar vs GPS

BT4747

Looking at radar detectors (Bel 550) versus GPS (New Road Angel), any recommendations out there?

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18397

GPS covers all fixed traps including specs, radar doesn't.
Radar warns of mobile units, GPS does not.

Iv'e got a Origin B2 for the fixed traps and a laser difuser for the mobile ones inc speed Guns.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18398

Doesn't the Origin need to be mounted on/bolted to the dash? Not sure I want to do that...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18399

I also have an Origin B2 which I use for fixed traps and I also use a Bel 990 for radar. The Origin B2 should have a radar module out later this year (I hope) so I wont need to use the BEL. The Origin B2 is a more permanent install in the car whereas the Road Angel fixes to the screen with "suckers". Depends if you have more than one car and want to use the device in both (although you can get a second car kit for the Origin B2 for £100).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18401

No the Origin has a separate unit for the GPS which you can either mount on the dash or on the rear shelf, my Origin unit is then mounted on the tunnel, where most cell phone cradles go. Do a search on this forum, I posted some pics awhile ago.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18403

I had both (Origin B2 and Bel 550). Sold the 550 in the end, bloody thing kept going off all the time. I'm sure Bel would say that this was because it was detecting radar in the area, but it was almost like it was saying hello to me every 10 minutes to remind me it was there.

Bought the Origin first followed by the 550 to detect the mobile roadworks traps that had so recently moved that the Origin DB was not aware of the move yet. One interesting thing was that your would be surprised how many fixed Gatso's are actually empty boxes. But in reality as long as you stick to the limit in roadworks then you'll be fine. Also thought the 550 could alert me to Mr PC Plod who thinks he's Dirt Harry with his laser gun, but again what these companies don't tell you is that laser is pretty fast and the time taken for the laser gun to calculate your speed is going to be a lot faster then you could ever move your foot onto the brake if the 550 alerts you to the laser.

So my advice would be to forget the Radar detectors and buy an Origin (biased of course) and get a laser difuser as Poon says to cover you for the laser guns. I myself haven't got a difuser yet, since I'm concerned about the legality of them.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has a difuser and has been saved by it. Does the Policeman shake his head at you or give you a nasty look as you pass by. Since policeman are not idiots (well maybe they are) and I'm sure difusers are widely know about by those interested in gadgets. So when he hits your fast car and gets an error message, he must know you have a difuser.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18404

if you use the LRC diffuser it shuts down 5 seconds or so after going off, if you hard wire it into the car with a separate switch (supplied) then you can also shut it off manually after being gunned. When plod pulls you you can innocently say that it is a garage door opener and nothing to do with your GPS unit and therefore you have not been using it to prevent an occifer in his duty. If it is wired in using the Origin loom then you haven't got a leg to stand on.

Mind you its still abit grey, either way I would rather not get up to and beyond 6 points and would rather take my chances argueing over the use of a laser jammer (garage door opener)

Pistonheads has a whole forum devoted to gps,radar and jammers etc, I think its called speeding and plod!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18407

I have an original Road Angel. Keeps you safe from fixed cameras and mobile cameras also providing they are in the database. It has an add on laser detector but as Gatekeeper states,when you detect a lazer it is probably too late.

I felt that I was most at risk from fixed cameras. So the GPS solution and keeping your eyes open works so far.

PP

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18410

I have an Origin Blue I, very useful but you have to keep up the £50 per annum subs in order to keep it up dated.

I've also got a Tom Tom Go all in one Sat Nav package on which I have downloaded the data base of Speed Cameras from
www.pocketgps.co.uk
. Very good as you see all the cameras on the screen showing your area, like a load of enemy starships. I have set the unit to sound an alarm when I get within 500m of one and the camera icon glows red as it gets "with in range".

The unit does not show the speed limit and whether the camera is on your carraige way though. For that the Origin is much better but not as much fun.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18443

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Greg on 26 September 2004

I've also got a Tom Tom Go all in one Sat Nav package on which I have downloaded the data base of Speed Cameras from
[url]www.pocketgps.co.uk[/url]
. Very good as you see all the cameras on the screen showing your area, like a load of enemy starships. I have set the unit to sound an alarm when I get within 500m of one and the camera icon glows red as it gets "with in range".

The unit does not show the speed limit and whether the camera is on your carraige way though. For that the Origin is much better but not as much fun.
Greg

I've got the tomtom on a PDA with wired gps rather than bluetooth. How do you get the camera stuff on there too?. All my maps and stuff for tomtom are on a seperate SD card so as not to slow up the PDA

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18450

Hendo

If you have Tom Tom 1 or 2 you will need to download the camera database at pocketgps.co.uk.

You will also need a poi program to operate the overlay such as checkpoint, which can also be found on the same site. Both are free to download and have easy to follows instructions.

You will need to activ sync your PDA with the PC and copy the files over.

Once you have done all of this you can update the database as it changes.

Incidently with the checkpoint program you can also add in a wav sound warning and add additional cameras manually, if they are not on the downloaded database.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18456

I have the new Road Angel and have been very happy with it so far - the database updates seem to be reliable and I am yet to go past a camera that hasn't got it beeping, whirring etc.

The best thing about it (for me) is that it really is plug and play, because I don't need to use it daily - I make lots of short trips during the week, so I know where the cameras are on those routes and, due to the delights of Central London, unless I am driving late at night there is little prospect of exceeding any speed limits.

I haven't got a garage (let alone a door), so that route was never open to me.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18469

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back