Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Quiet knocking noise

If not top mount check that it’s not the roll bar hitting the arms. Look for marks on the bar / arm. You can actually fit the roll bar in correctly so that it can make contact with the arms as I’ve seen it 1st hand….

I haven’t read the whole thread but I’ve heard of a situation where it turned out to be a something rolling in the boot! Very hard to pin point the source of a noise. Could it be just a socket etc that has been left in the car during previous DIY moving around?

I haven’t read the whole thread but I’ve heard of a situation where it turned out to be a something rolling in the boot! Very hard to pin point the source of a noise. Could it be just a socket etc that has been left in the car during previous DIY moving around?
Thanks - definitely not something lurking around. Its a knocking / now cracking noise from the rear NS. Gut feel is either sub frame or top mounts..... Been with the garage for a week now so I think I will have to live with it until it gets much worse, and more obvious to be located.

A little disappointing but onwards and upwards

So I've collected the car from the garage.... They can't locate the noise! They are starting to think its a socket rolling around, but... I think they are clutching at straws!

Whilst the knock is slight, it is far t0o prominent to be a socket. You have to really shift the car left to right to hear the noise, or be corning on hard load. If it were something loose it was be tinny, loose and easy to replicate.

There is one thought...... I recently had a new motor fitted to the sun roof, could something have worked loose and fallen in the back between all of the trim etc?

I think its the hard bushes, one of them has a slight gap of some description and we will only find the route cause if we pull the car apart.

Any further ideas super welcome... I guess I'll just have to get used to the noise

Rear top mount is easy to access & check if you think that it could be that.
You’re probably going to need a small person in the back with stethoscope and try to repeat the noise to locate it. Failing that turn your stereo up, it works for me as my car has a few creaks.

OP, see this that i found on here earlier... it's on about split rim centres creaking when loose... not sure what wheels you have but one never knows... it's concerning the GT3 split rim BBS sport design wheels.

Marky911

Portimao​

Joined4 Jun 2009Messages4,360
8mm multi spline bit is required.
BBS recommend 16-18lb ft when torquing them up on reassembly but I'd just go 'tight" as those wheels, as gorgeous as they are, are a ***** for the bolts coming loose.

I never had any bother with my refurbed set but my Indy has seen a few sets where owners have changed loads of suspension parts due to clunks and creaks and it has ended up being the centres of those wheels.

So as I say go tight with loctite on the threads too. :thumb:

A cheapy set like this should be fine -

Interesting thought - I run turbo twists so sadly not applicable. However, with the warmer weather it seems to have almost vanished..... who knows - I've turned up the stereo and spend more time on the red line :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NigelM
Back