Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Question about - 996 gt3 with alcons and pagids

farook

Hi - managed to get out on a track on sat - castle coombe - to start the season off. Thou it was foggy and did not get onto the track till after lunch - we had a great afternoon.

Having now got used to the car a bit more - i found that the abs was coming on more often and quiet quickly...

So, my question - is this normal?
- to be expected when brake disc/pads have been upgraded
- the abs does that on 996 gt3s
- something else and i need to have it checked out

Any thoughts views appreciated, thanks, f

tyres - I noticed as I was doing the final check before driving home - that I am the edges are probably not far from limit, whilst the mid is got some more tread.

up to temp - ummh... now you are asking. The air temp was around 8 degrees and I was going at a pace - it felt good and warm/hot but didnt have a temp probe to confirm. But interesting thought you have put in my mind...

f

I only do the Nurburgring but also in a 996 GT3 on standard brakes but do not recall the ABS coming on a lot. Possibly due to it not having enough hairpin bends (I have no idea how Castle Combe fares on that regard) or maybe because I am not braking hard enough.

Pip :dont know:

I have done CastleCoombe and Nurburgring on ToyoR888's and upgraded Mk2 brakes on the front, but I dont remember the ABS being an issue.... again, maybe I wasn't driving hard enough :oops:

Ok, it seems tis not normal - will get it looked at, f

Keep us updated on the outcome Farook. Hopefully something cheap and simple.

Pip

Hi, what tyre pressure were you aiming for when hot..?

What suspension is on the car and what is it set for?

Also you mention that the edge is almost gone is this something that has happened on the track ?

One last question when does the ABS cut in the most, is it straight line braking or some other time?

sportsandclassic said:
Hi, what tyre pressure were you aiming for when hot..?

What suspension is on the car and what is it set for?

Also you mention that the edge is almost gone is this something that has happened on the track ?

One last question when does the ABS cut in the most, is it straight line braking or some other time?

Hi I think, you have probably nailed and the answer is in here somewhere...

Tyre Pressures - was aiming for 34 fronts; 32 rears
KW suspension on full track setting - its going to get changed to fast road/track
Tyres - I think over the course of ring/spa last year and then road use and during the day itself - I am thinking its got to be the setting of the geo.
ABS kicks in on straight line braking - now I am not just stomping on them; it is late and hard and blending the pressure. I dont doubt that it might be my technique as well.

Thanks, f

farook said:

That is a significant part of it then. Depends upon the tyres, but fronts should be between 28 and 31 hot (the higher number for road rubber with softer sidewalls, the lower for track day rubber). At 34 grip drops off rapidly.

Rears ought to be fine if on Cups, but if it were PS2s they ought to be a fair chunk higher.

farook said:
KW suspension on full track setting - its going to get changed to fast road/track
ABS kicks in on straight line braking - now I am not just stomping on them; it is late and hard and blending the pressure. I dont doubt that it might be my technique as well.

As Disco says, those pressures are the wrong way round and a tad high if on Cups. The ABS kicking in so early is an indication of lack of wheel control by the dampers. Too much bump probably. CC is exceptionally bumpy & I normally run 2 or 3 clicks of bump & 3 or 4 clicks of rebound (out of 15) on my Motons. I never hit the ABS unless I do something silly like try to brake on the very left-hand side of the track on Farm Straight before the Essess where it's so bumpy that the ABS will kick in in any car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CS4997Gen1
Back