Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

query about windows fogging up.

ScoobyDoo555

Hi All,

Only really noticed it in the last few days with all this feckin rain! :D

However, my front screen seems to be fogging up slightly.
My PPI did indicate that the windscreen trims were fitting poorly.

I suspect this is the issue tbh. I noticed a while back that the vertical part of the trim was a bit loose.

Also, Wifey's just gone out and noticed that the rear and side windows had misted up. Again, PPI highlighted a poorly fitting rear window trim as well.

Nothing untoward, as they both look a little "old" tbh.

Definitely not a sunroof drain block etc, as the car's a coupe without sunroof.
Haven't noticed any wet patches under the car mats in the carpet, so don't think it's too bad yet.

Sooo, am I looking at new trims? Is this a job for autoglass, or a garage?

I've attached a couple of pics of the offending issue!

CountyofHerefordshire-20121126-00092.jpg

CountyofHerefordshire-20121126-00091.jpg

I suppose this is what the contingency funds are for!! :floor:

Dan :)

Daft question but you are running the air-con on the whole time, yes? Assuming you have the climate control air-con it's actually designed to be switched on the whole time, rain or shine, and it keeps windows de-misted a treat in rainy conditions.

Without the a/c on any car will mist up in current weather conditions, more so the more people you have on board...

:?:

Good point. I only run the climate during the spring/summer. Always have done. Of course, when I run the a/c, the windows demist virtually instantly.

Perhaps I should start running climate on then?

Dan

ScoobyDoo555 said:

Dan
Your call; it will stop the windows misting up in cold / wet weather, definitely. Not really sure of any negatives; supposedly bad for fuel consumption but on a 300+ bhp car with a 3.4/3.6 engine I don't think you'd notice it massively?

I run mine with climate on all the time, have done for nearly 3 years... :thumb:

Climate on all the time for me. Had a big bill once from air-con compressor failing after lack of use...

Also in a small cabin it doesnlt take much water in the car to cause teh dreaded condensation. But with the aircon on it should clear quickly (subject to outside temp as mentioned above), and even faster if recirculate the air for a short time.

+1 on keeping on all the time. Aircon's don't like it when they're turned off and will soon fail if left unused for a long time...

Other thing to check is that the air recirculation button is switched off. With it switched on the windows will fog up in minutes, even with ac running.

RJG18 said:
Other thing to check is that the air recirculation button is switched off. With it switched on the windows will fog up in minutes, even with ac running.

Why's that? :?:

Maybe worth checking the pollen filter. If it is old and clogged up the windows will mist up a bit. Same on just about any car.

Thanks for the responses :thumb:

A/C now on 24/7 :D

Will check the pollen filter at the weekend - too cold and wet to go out to the car at the moment :D

Dan
:thumbs:

This situation is exacerbated by the fact that the cabin is quite tiny.

In a big car like a 500 Merc the moisture would still be present would have more air space to circulate in before settling on the glass.
This just means that it's quite noticable.

Air con.On.

Ant Blain said:
ScoobyDoo555 said:

Dan
Your call; it will stop the windows misting up in cold / wet weather, definitely. Not really sure of any negatives; supposedly bad for fuel consumption but on a 300+ bhp car with a 3.4/3.6 engine I don't think you'd notice it massively?

I run mine with climate on all the time, have done for nearly 3 years... :thumb:

I have a/c turned off when it's not needed (which is most of the time tbh, even in the summer) and am currently getting 26.9 mpg at an average speed of 40mph (this is over 830 miles). I'd like to know what fuel consumption having the a/c on all the time gives, could those who do that post the info? I know it's probably not possible to make a like for like comparision but would be interesting anyway :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkivalex
Back