Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Q. Reverse gear has vanished!!

hippo

New member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
13
Hi,

car was behaving normally. Parked up for say 1/2hr - got back in - no reverse gear!!

The gear stick moves across to the left and up - but car moves forward when I lift the clutch. Don't have anymore space to test it further whee it is parked - as running out of room

Also the spring in the gear stick that pulls it back into it's neutural; position has gone too . . . .

You always had to push the gear stick hard to the left, so it bumped the console before pushing forward to get reverse - not raised as significant problem over servicing over past 6 years or so...

Any suggestions on what it might be , and anything extra worthwhile doing at the same time as it is fixed - if it means there is better access to something while its stripped down?

Thanks for any help :?
 
There is a gearbox expert I'd recommend that you speak to. Give Mike at Sports & Classic a call. He advertises on here and he is based in Knutsford, Cheshire. He knows gearboxes inside out and is the only guy I can recommend that you speak to.
Fingers crossed it is not too big a job.
 
Sounds like it might be the gear change linkage (between gear lever and box), which would also be easier and cheaper to fix than internal problems in the box itself, so the first thing to look at.
To gain access to the linkage the car ideally needs to be put on a hoist so the long black pressed metal under-tray below the centre tunnel can be removed, hopefully revealing the cause.
 
I am not an expert on these things, but a linkage problem would manifest in gear changes throughout the gears - forward gears as well as reverse.

Unless you are mechanically minded and have the ability to lift the car up to stand under it, I'd seek a specialist's help and advice first before doing anything. It could be a very simple fix such as linkage out of alignment or it coukld be something serious requiring a gearbox out strip and rebuild.

My suggestion is to talk to an expert and seek guidance. But it's your call.
 
Im no expert but it sounds like linkage to me too. If the linkage gets loose you will loose left and right selection first, the linkage would need to fail completely or the retaining bolt would need to come all the way out to loose forward and back selection.
As mentioned by red above its not too difficult to get to and check.
 
A problem with the internal selector mechanism, as opposed to the gear lever linkage assembly, would not explain this following phenomenon, as the spring loading of the gate is at the lever end, not in the gearbox:
"Also the spring in the gear stick that pulls it back into it's neutral; position has gone too . . . . "
 
Hi, thanks very much indeed for all the replies.

Planning on getting car to garage to be checked over this week, and I'll post an update then with what they find.

Are there any bushes or similar items that are a common weak spot in the linkage ( obviously being hopeful !) - just asking in case there are things worth replacing now, while car is up on the ramps with the tunnel cover removed?

In looking through posts, someone described how you can adjust the gear movement to some extent for forward and rear gear stick movement - but not for the side to side movement.

It's the side to side movement which seemed slightly out - as when you went to put it in reverse you had to push it over hard, hitting the side of the console before moving forward.

So - being greedy - it would be nice to get reverse back, and als now stop having to smack it against the console.....

Thanks. :dont know:
 
Keep us all posted - we are all curious to know what it is and the solution.
 
hippo said:
So - being greedy - it would be nice to get reverse back, and als now stop having to smack it against the console.....

Wouldn't be surprised to hear that fixing the former will also result in an improvement in the latter.
 
FIXED!

I rang the AA as my membership at least should cover a relay if they could not get a car fixed at roadside -and I had not wanted to try and drive from oxford to Northway's with no reverse gear / unknown gearbox problems.

Didn't for a moment expect AA to work on a 911 gearbox linkage by the roadside - but they insisted their patrol man must inspect car first to see if it could be fixed / rather than just going straight to a transporter.


So initially thought this would just use up a bit of time, patrol would arrive and tell me no, can't be done at roadside.

But - very willing patrol man. I explained where the access covers were, - he got car up on a trolley jack, stands - and fixed it!

Turned out the 13mm bolt which anchors the gear selector to the shaft had simply fallen off, and it was still there.

'Fraid I didn't have chance to ask to go under car and take a photo to post here.

Baffled these can just fall off.
No test drive yet as I'm now on holiday putting on bug spray.

Will post when I get back ref. if this has affected / improved the gear selection. :thumbs:

Then got a parking ticket to bring me back down to earth! :roll:
 
Glad its sorted! :thumb:

And so cheaply as well!
 
Re: FIXED!

hippo said:
I rang the AA as my membership at least should cover a relay if they could not get a car fixed at roadside -and I had not wanted to try and drive from oxford to Northway's with no reverse gear / unknown gearbox problems.

Didn't for a moment expect AA to work on a 911 gearbox linkage by the roadside - but they insisted their patrol man must inspect car first to see if it could be fixed / rather than just going straight to a transporter.


So initially thought this would just use up a bit of time, patrol would arrive and tell me no, can't be done at roadside.

But - very willing patrol man. I explained where the access covers were, - he got car up on a trolley jack, stands - and fixed it!

Turned out the 13mm bolt which anchors the gear selector to the shaft had simply fallen off, and it was still there.

'Fraid I didn't have chance to ask to go under car and take a photo to post here.

Baffled these can just fall off.
No test drive yet as I'm now on holiday putting on bug spray.

Will post when I get back ref. if this has affected / improved the gear selection. :thumbs:

Then got a parking ticket to bring me back down to earth! :roll:

I hate those people who say "I told you so", but ..........

Red993C4 said:
Sounds like it might be the gear change linkage (between gear lever and box), which would also be easier and cheaper to fix than internal problems in the box itself, so the first thing to look at.
To gain access to the linkage the car ideally needs to be put on a hoist so the long black pressed metal under-tray below the centre tunnel can be removed, hopefully revealing the cause.

Glad it turned out so well for you. :thumb:
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,313
Messages
1,444,069
Members
49,445
Latest member
AlfaMax1996
Back
Top