Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Problem replacing control arms

woodie

Trainee
So I've done my homework, bought new spanners and control arm parts and the car is well on the way to being in bits. After following the FAQ Guide to replacing these i thought it looks pretty straight forward. That is until the nut on the ball joint just rotates on the bal joint shaft.

I've seen there is a star socket in the top of the ball joint, so I'm off to find something from the tool shop that will hopefully fit and allow me to get the nut off.

Might be useful info for anyone else trying this to have a set of star drivers or at least not start the job without having time to go to the shops, so not a Sunday afternoon job.

Hopefully this will do the trick

Another tip to undoing ball joints when they are spinning is to put the jack underneath it and push the cone tight into the hub this usually does the trick. They don't usually spin unless you knock it out too early, I always take the nut off first all the way, then clean up the thread and replace the nut for a couple of threads then try to release the ball joint.

Thanks for the tip, worked a treat. Tried a Torx plus driver which was near on impossible to manage.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xx22
Back