Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Private sale options and thoughts in the current market for a 992 (?)

The 2019 cars retained % of its original / new price is comparable to what a 4 year old Carrera S would have cost you before the world went mad so I wouldn’t say it’s overpriced (expensive yes!) and TBH anyone looking at spending £80k on an S is probably not looking at spending another £25K on a new T.
Prices are softening but they’ll always be expensive cars and those waiting for a bargain are probably in for a long wait.
For context, in 2017 I bought a 2014 well spec’d Carrera S from an OPC for £74K, I believe the car cost around £86k when new which is not too different to used 992 prices now.

I wouldn’t say I’m looking for a bargain. If you look at the CAP value of that car it’s miles out.

No way a 5 year old 992 with 30k was ever was ever worth £80k. That’s why there are currently 830 post 2019 911’s for sale on AT.

It’s not as simple as “anyone looking at spending £80k prob not looking to spend another £25k”. If that T is worth £108k. What is a 2 year old T worth with 15k miles?

Im looking to buy cash, but I would borrow £24k and buy the T rather than buy a 5 year old car for £82,500.

Finance companies won’t take your view either when giving GFV.

992 carrera is anything but rare. R8 and AM vantage made them look way over priced before you could buy a new car with a discount.

Great cars and will always have strong used prices. But like certain watches and even bicycles, things have been ridiculous for the last few years.

my 80k 2019 car feels and looks brand new so im happy.
I set a budget so the fact i can get a brand new car for 100k doesn`t bother me one bit - 20k is lot of money to me.

911s are very unique in that they have 4 seats, an engine behind you and are beautifully engineered hence why they have the following they do.
By the car you can afford and dont worry about resale, cars lose money

£20k is a lot of money to me which is why I’m reluctant to buy now.

There needs to be a bigger gap between the 2 cars I posted.

Im not worried about resale and I agree cars lose money (I’ve lost a fortune on new cars).

This is my issue. A 5 year old, well used, mass produced £100k car should have lost a lot more than £20k when new ones are available.

I love 911’s. Not saying they aren’t great cars, just that pricing has been mental for a few years.

Good luck with your search and I’m sure you’ll find a cracker at the right price.

One thing I would say is that it might be worth comparing the price of a new S to an older one to give you an idea of how the values track (spec does have a big impact as well) Comparing a S with a T (or another variant for that matter) possibly won’t give you a good indication of where average values are.

£20k is a lot of money to me which is why I’m reluctant to buy now.

There needs to be a bigger gap between the 2 cars I posted.

Im not worried about resale and I agree cars lose money (I’ve lost a fortune on new cars).

This is my issue. A 5 year old, well used, mass produced £100k car should have lost a lot more than £20k when new ones are available.

I love 911’s. Not saying they aren’t great cars, just that pricing has been mental for a few years.

I think prices will continue to fall a little, maybe another 5-10% to go yet, but I think your reasoning is flawed, the fact that they do hold their value so well clearly means the market values them more than you do.

Best of luck with your search mate.

Reactions: T8
A car worth 50% of its value after 3 years was doing well pre covid.

Once again you're confusing 'a car' with 'a 911'.

I don't know about the older stuff but in the water-cooled era, 3 year old 911s have always been worth more than 50% of their original/new price.

Asking prices did go crazy in the post-covid period, when new cars weren't available, but 911s were bucking the car depreciation trend well before that.

Once again you're confusing 'a car' with 'a 911'.

I don't know about the older stuff but in the water-cooled era, 3 year old 911s have always been worth more than 50% of their original/new price.

Asking prices did go crazy in the post-covid period, when new cars weren't available, but 911s were bucking the car depreciation trend well before that.

Nonsense.

964,993 are special and were produced in low numbers. 991, 992 are mass produced cars no different to any other.

I said Porsche 911 do better than most in terms of residuals, but 85% after 5 years and 30k miles is hilarious.
Thats why there are 816 (and growing) 992’s for sale on AT.

I think prices will continue to fall a little, maybe another 5-10% to go yet, but I think your reasoning is flawed, the fact that they do hold their value so well clearly means the market values them more than you do.

Best of luck with your search mate.
819 992 for sale on AT

There is no ”market”

They can’t even sell new turbo s and gts.

911 Ponzi/pyramid scheme is done.

Last edited:
Nonsense.

964,993 are special and were produced in low numbers. 991, 992 are mass produced cars no different to any other.

I said Porsche 911 do better than most in terms of residuals, but 85% after 5 years and 30k miles is hilarious.
Thats why there are 816 (and growing) 992’s for sale on AT.

How can you call facts nonsense?

eg. The 997 GTS was mass produced but you'd still need to pay at least 5/8th of what they cost 12 years ago to get into one today.

The market may be dead and asking prices are way down on where they were 9 months ago but owners won't be giving them away unless they're desperate to sell. It's more likely they'll simply hold on to them.

For the record it's only in the last 12 years or so that the scarcity of 964 and 993 models has caused them to appreciate as they have. They too depreciated until they were 10+ years old.

819 992 for sale on AT

After 'Covid' Porsche concentrated on producing cars that would give them the biggest profit per unit. (i.e GTS, GT3s and Turbos). At that time the market was prepared to pay 'over list' for nearly new cars. In the current market dealers are having to reduce their asking prices significantly and will no doubt end up losing money on some.

BUT it's interesting to note that there's only a total of 126 x C2, C2S, C4 and C4S 992 Carreras below £100k on AT.

Entry prices of early cars with sub-50k miles are at £77k, £80k , £83k and £86k for those 4 models which underlines that the % retained value vs the original list price of 'ordinary' 992s is still pretty healthy.

Feels like a pretty pointless argument, even by Porsche standards.

Look at the numbers of 964 and 993 produced compared to 991 and 992. Not comparable.

Look at the number of 997 gts compared to 991 and 991 gt3.

991/992 are mass produced cars that have nothing in common with previous generations.

Have a look at the price history of those 126 cars. Sat for 6 months with numerous price reductions.

We will get to see who is right very soon.

Any owner who holds on to their mass produced, 5 year old, base 911 hoping it will increase in value is a fool.

Supply and demand dictate prices. Supply is higher than demand on these cars. That’s a fact.

No one is interested in the cars you mention at £77k, 80k, 83k and 86k because they are hilariously over priced.

You could buy a New m3/4, 2021 gt4 pdk, 2017 570S, 2020 vantage or 2019 R8 v10 plus for the price of a 5 year old Wilmslow housewives shopping car.

Like I mentioned previously. The price of a new T makes the prices you mention even more laughable.

Look at the numbers of 964 and 993 produced compared to 991 and 992. Not comparable.
Which is why they won't appreciate in the long-term like the early cars have. It doesn't alter the fact that the air-cooled cars also depreciated until they were 10+ years old.
Look at the number of 997 gts compared to 991 and 991 gt3.
My point was simply that the 997 GTS wasn't a rare 911 yet has still retained a massive % of its original cost price.

991/992 are mass produced cars that have nothing in common with previous generations.

Have a look at the price history of those 126 cars. Sat for 6 months with numerous price reductions.

We will get to see who is right very soon.
996 and 997 were mass produced too. The market is flat so people who make a living from selling cars are doing all they can to sell them.

Any owner who holds on to their mass produced, 5 year old, base 911 hoping it will increase in value is a fool.
I agree but anyone not looking to make a significant loss and/or not desperate to sell will hang on to what they've got to see how the market picks up.

Supply and demand dictate prices. Supply is higher than demand on these cars. That’s a fact.

No one is interested in the cars you mention at £77k, 80k, 83k and 86k because they are hilariously over priced.

Supply is higher than demand but those asking prices are the lowest for each variant currently on AT. That's the current state of the market NOT a reflection that they are over-priced.

You could buy a New m3/4, 2021 gt4 pdk, 2017 570S, 2020 vantage or 2019 R8 v10 plus for the price of a 5 year old Wilmslow housewives shopping car.

Like I mentioned previously. The price of a new T makes the prices you mention even more laughable.
A new T starts at £106k and will be bought by a totally different buyer to someone with c£80k to spend on a better spec'd used model.

Realistically I don’t think that many owners of “Base/Normal/poor man’s” 911s have ever expected them to increase in value, in fact I’d say that most of them (Myself included) bought them because they’d always wanted one and for them there is no substitute - there are loads of great cars out there available for similar or less money but they’re not what they (I) want.
My dealer offered to buy my car back from me before it was even delivered, I could have had a very nice holiday with the few grand that I would have made but that’s not why I ordered it.
Most things in life are expensive nowadays and cars are only worth what someone is willing to pay.
I plan to keep mine until I can’t drive it, by which time it’ll be worth FA but I will be interested to see where prices go - if I was a betting man I’d say that a 5 year old 911 will still be reassuringly expensive (Tongue firmly in cheek!)

P.S I’ve stopped my wife taking ours to the shops.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Boy
Back