Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Premium or other Tyres ?

Alan Weston

Trainee
You could probably fill a whole forum with a debate over tyres. My question or opinion, whichever way you look at it is what would do for the ordinary individual.

IMHO, any manufacturer can state that a certain make of tyre must be fitted. But if you fitted a lesser brand how much difference does it really make for day to day driving. By that i mean your ordinary commute with the occasional putting your foot down etc, rather than your dedicated speed merchant redlining it everywhere.

For example, my 18" sport design alloys have fitted 285/30/18 tyres(conti sport contact) these were on it when I had it. What difference would fitting 265/30's make if any?

As far as make goes I searched on Mytre.co.uk for some examples:

Nankang
Ns2 �90

Falken FK41 �145

Pirelli P0 �175

Conti SC �183

Hands up if you think you or other spouses etc(I talking average drivers) would notice if you took your 911 to the tyre shop and came back with some �90 Nankang NS2's on the back instead of p-zero's or contis etc. Apart from the cosmetic value and apart from the 'money is no cost' brigade who take it to the OPC and say "I need two tyres for the rear please!" or to put it another way "I just bend over while you spank me with a very large bill"!!

It would be very easy just to say you've got to have "N" rated tyres because Porsche said so and leave it at that wouldn't it!

Debate on!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85060

I love a good bargain, but tyres are the only thing that connect me to the road.

270-420hp hp is a LOT of power to transmit to the road, and it generates huge amount of stresses on the bits of rubber around our wheels. The wonder of Porsche engineering has dialed out a lot of the "physical exuberance" that such power generates when applied to the bumpy/rough tarmac.

Certainly, rolling around town at urban speeds will not reveal any difference between tyres, but when you put your foot down in a 1400kg 911 at 40mph in 2nd and redline to 3rd and 4th on a motorway, you can be guaranteed that the tyre will be put under a lot more stress than the average tyre.

It's under those quite common scenarios that I am a lot more comfortable knowing that I've spent maybe £100-200 more on the best quality tyres that have been tested in extremis by Porsche based on the capabilities of my car. Amortised over 6-9000 miles, and the extra £200 is nothing.

All imho! :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85065

I'd reckon there is more to it than paying for a name as opposed to the budget tyres.........fair enough you don't have to go for the N-rated ones but budget tyres are that!!! tyres for a (normally) small budget........they might be crap roadholding/wet weather performance etc which to be honest isn't a major problem on something like a Fiesta/Focus but a bona-fide Sportscar tbh its madness...........try black crcles too for a better choice

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85068

Good point Rodders about the roadholding/wet weather performance... the 911 behaves quite differently between different tyres: I've spent a lot on the car with the intention of being able to get the best out of it... and if tyres are an important part of that equation, then the best tyres possible are relatively a small price to pay.

When it comes to resale, cheap tyres are also an indication that the owner may have skimped on other parts of the car. Not a good indicator if you ask me.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85071

A few points really :

1) Don't go to an OPC for your tyres, you will get well spanked, but then that floats the boats of some. My rears from an OPC are in the order of £350 each. :eek:
. A lot cheaper elsewhere.

2) you've got a £40k car, do you want to risk it for a few 100 quid on decent tyres.

3) Potentially interesting take if god forbid you stack the Porsche, in a circumstance in which grip or stopping distances were in any way culpable. Insurance company looking for an out, says you ar not running tyres as recommended/approved by Porsche. Could you have given them a get out of jail free card?

4) if you want to save money in running a Porsche don't do it with your critical safety related bits. Brakes & tyres.

Shop around & you'll find some good deals out there.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85072

I wouldn't consider myself a good driver, but I could tell the difference between P-zeros and Conti's. Will be going for the Michelins next. £700 every 8000-10000 miles is not my biggest problem when running a 911!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85133

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by So Poo on 25 October 2006

I wouldn't consider myself a good driver, but I could tell the difference between P-zeros and Conti's. Will be going for the Michelins next. £700 every 8000-10000 miles is not my biggest problem when running a 911!
Chris, you'll be talking nearer £900 for a set of MPSs but boy, do they feel different from the Contis. Do prefer the Contis in the wet though - less aqua movement.

As for the original post, the pre-facelift 18" option had 265s at the back. For a few quid extra, you get a lot more contact with the black stuff with 285s.

Have to agree with Rob in that you are driving a £40k car and you're worried about saving money by going for budget tyres??? It's a fact of life that the more you pay for tyres, the better they are going to be and the only thing between the car and the road is the tyre. You wouldn't use cooking oil in the engine so why think about untested stuff to keep you stuck to the road?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85141

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Seagull on 25 October 2006

Previous poster said:
........You wouldn't use cooking oil in the engine so why think about untested stuff to keep you stuck to the road?

awww...sheise.......just bought a 10L bottle of cooking oil for an oil change.........this not good then????? :p

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85149

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Rodders on 25 October 2006

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Seagull on 25 October 2006

Previous poster said:
........You wouldn't use cooking oil in the engine so why think about untested stuff to keep you stuck to the road?

awww...sheise.......just bought a 10L bottle of cooking oil for an oil change.........this not good then????? :p
LOL

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85151

Autoexpress tyre tests results

1st Vredestein (dutch) Top marks in the wet and a good price make this the best buy
2 Maloya (vredestein budget brand)
3 Continental
4 Fulda
5 Uniroyal
6 Bridgestone

/images/migration/UploadedForumImages/CIMG1462ss.jpg

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85194

What car where they tested on? A Focus?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85195

Maybe so - but the method used was more than a finger in the air feeling - slip measuring, braking tests and g forces all measured properly with the correct equipment in a variety of wet and dry conditions across 20 tyre makes.
The well known brands fared no better and in many cases much worse than less well known brands - even though the manufactures submitted tyres for the tests themselves.

Big name is no guarantee of performance or quality - as I found out on my A3 where a year old Dunlop SP Sport 225/45/ZR tyre cracked in the first tread block valley around half the tyre at 15k miles.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85201

Any chance you could provide a slightly bigger version or a link to the article?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85203

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Stevo on 26 October 2006

Autoexpress tyre tests results1st Vredestein (dutch) Top marks in the wet and a good price make this the best buy2 Maloya (vredestein budget brand)3 Continental4 Fulda5 Uniroyal6 Bridgestone

BUT THAT IS NOT COMPARIABLE FOR OUR CARS..!!!!

you need to consider the tyre sizes and car used for such tests...

when the tyre sizes increase and the spec it's a different position for Y or Z rated tyres...

so the recommended advice is to stick to Porsche rated tyres

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85204

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
11erCharlie
Back