Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Tyres , use N-rated .

cubasteve

Sao Paulo
We often get asked about Porsche N-rated tyres – what are they and do you need them on your Porsche?

Basically, an N-rated tyres is one that has been specifically approved for use on a Porsche. Most major tyre manufacturers have been producing N-rated tyres since the 1980s for Porsches.

It all started with the Porsche 964 which, at the time, was one of the few German cars not limited to 150mph. So Porsche worked with tyre companies to develop tyres that would, not only cope with high speeds (the 964 was capable of 162mph) but would also complement the car's handling and general 'feel' – something which is key to a Porsche's characteristics.

These tyres were marked with an 'N' for 'Norm', the German word for standard. Today, Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli and Continental are the main makers of N-rated tyres, with Dunlop, Fulda and Goodyear also offer N-rated tyres for older cars.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to fit N-rated tyres to your Porsche – it won't invalidate your Insurance policy, and any good brand of tyre of the correct size and speed rating will be perfectly safe. However, seeing that N-rated tyres don't generally cost any more than the equivalent non N-rated version, there is no reason not to choose the correct N-rated tyres for your Porsche. It's what Porsche designed the car to used with, after all.

michelin_06-08-079.jpg

:bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

tyre article said:
Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to fit N-rated tyres to your Porsche – it won't invalidate your Insurance policy, and any good brand of tyre of the correct size and speed rating will be perfectly safe. However, seeing that N-rated tyres don't generally cost any more than the equivalent non N-rated version, there is no reason not to choose the correct N-rated tyres for your Porsche.

Other than choice!

Available N-rated sizes for the rears on a 993 and 996 mean you can only fit a tyre designed in the 1990s.

I'd rather choose from something more modern, as tyre-technology moves on so rapidly these days.

My next tyre will probably be the Vredestein Vorti.

Out of interest, how old are the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 designs?

^ I'v had a couple of sets on my p1 over a period of 6 to 7 years maybe :dont know:

I guess that makes then positively space-age on a nearly 20-year old car?

Having said that, when was the MPS2 N3 revision released?

:bandit: MOD Team , Good Morning ,
Thanks for correctly posting my message . Cuba :bandit:
The N-rated tyre is specially designed for a Porsche .

Attachments

• 3951375_5_579.jpg
    3951375_5_579.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 5,717
I had MPS on a MY97 car from new, and fitted MPS2 before I sold it in approx. MY00.

Sure they may have fiddled with the compounds, or not.

But a tyre like say the Goodyear Assym 2 has had a proper revision recently, (it looks completely different from version 1 as well) and is without question a better tyre than any of the N-rated tyres in these sizes.

cubasteve said:
The N-rated tyre is specially designed for a Porsche .

I'm not sure even Porsche claim that.

Porsche said:
All Porsche Centres can precision fit 'N' rated tyres and offer a wheel alignment and balancing service. Unique to Porsche, the 'N' rating is given to tyres that have been approved by Porsche engineers in Weissach. Porsche Centres guarantee this standard by only fitting 'N' rated tyres to Porsche vehicles.

Advances in tyre technology mean that tyre wear or even mixing different brands, patterns or 'N' numbers, even if from the same manufacturer, could result in an increase in road noise and significant changes in shock absorption, steering and smooth handling. Your Porsche Centre stocks a wide range of 'N' rated tyres for all Porsche models to maintain your car's performance.

Remember that N-rating started as ONLY Porsche testing the best tyres at the time and then recommending a small number of these as the 'best'. There was no claimed 'design' change at all.

What a great idea :thumb:

And today? As they refuse to tell us what the functional differences are, there are no facts available, only marketing.
And they force you to fit them or validate your warranty.

What a bad idea. :wack:

orangecurry said:
And today? As they refuse to tell us what the functional differences are, there are no facts available, only marketing.
And they force you to fit them or validate your warranty.
What a bad idea. :wack:

Maybe slightly off topic, but still related
How can Porsche invalidate your warranty if you don't fit "their tyres"?
If you buy a new car you don't have to have it serviced or repaired within the manufacturer's dealer network to keep the warranty active anymore, so how Porsche get away with it when it comes to tyres

Hi Chaps,
I've seen various threads crop over the years on this subject and I'd like to know the following:

How do we know that the tyre manufacturers are complying with Porsches request. When was the last time Porsche actually visited a factory that made "N" rated tyres and did a QA check or take a tyre away for analysis.

I use N rated tyres however I've never seen anything other than that N on the side wall that qualifies the tyre. Where is the assurance that Pirelli are actually making this batch of tyres different to an identical looking batch on the production line :?:

Because people in the industry TELL you, that's how. :grin:

I find the whole thing inexplicable.

If the tyres are different, why NOT say what the differences are?

If the tyres are functionally different, and they listed the differences, in plain english, I'm sure they'd get a large number of new buyers for N-rated tyres for out-of-warranty cars.

This is the only quote (sourced from TireRack) that I've found allegedly from a manufacturer:

In checking with our Michelin engineering contacts, they confirmed what we already knew, that OE tires are developed in conjunction with the vehicle manufacturer, and their exact design specifics are considered proprietary and confidential. Therefore, Michelin was unable to provide any details on the functional differences......

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calinours38
Back