Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

porkers? why the name

mycal

why are they called porkers?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85689

Yes, I've always wondered.... its been puzzling me for a while now...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85692

good effin Q, had never occurred to me but now is bugging me, and google does not help...:(
Migration info. Legacy thread was 85698

From Australia

People can be so unkind. A nickname thought clever at the time can become simply hurtful as circumstances change. It can also, perversely, engender a degree of affection. Porsche's first generation of all-wheel-drives were a case in point. Stuffing extra diffs and driveshafts under the 911 did add a little something to the Carrera; a bagful of kilograms.

Those original production AWDs may well have been "porkers" but a decade and a half on and no longer does the jibe carry any credence. The 997 C4S carries a $15,000 premium over the comparative rear-wheel-drive Carrera, but more to the point it has a weight impost of just 55kg.

Admittedly, that's not nothing but it is so well hidden in the dynamics of the car that you are not going to notice it.

Google

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85700

so pork cos the extra weight...?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85701

It might be because PORsche and PORker have a slight rhyming slang connotation, but I'm no language expert. Bit like wazzer rhymes with w*nker.

This site has rhyming slang - but tantalisingly no "Porker"

Funny that....

http://www.aldertons.com/english-.htm

Migration info. Legacy thread was 85702

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dirtyrdier00
Back