Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Photo of exhaust tips re bore scoring

Ranfurly66

Right have been reading a few posts on bore scoring re left tips having sooting and more smoke marks. Have looked at my car and am left wondering what is 'normal' or looks okay.......

Are there any photos or do any of you guys have photos which show normal smoke marks and ones which show signs of bore scoring....

I don't, but the thing to do is clean the exhausts, and then keep an eye on how quickly they soot up. Also, this symptom has to be accompanied by an increase in the amount of oil you are using.

Cheers good advice off to the garage now

Another related question. My car was serviced about 1000 km ago. Just checked the oil level (stone cold hasn't been driven for 2 days) and the measurement shows 2 sectors down from full. Any thoughts on this being usual oil consumption or do I need it to be warmed up then sit like my old 993 to get a proper measurement?

Cheers
Richard

You may still need a top up (quite common after post-service settlement), but the correct level is determined at full operating temp (but unlike the dry-sumps, with the engine OFF)

Ranfurly66 said:
Right have been reading a few posts on bore scoring re left tips having sooting and more smoke marks. Have looked at my car and am left wondering what is 'normal' or looks okay.......

Are there any photos or do any of you guys have photos which show normal smoke marks and ones which show signs of bore scoring....

If its not using oil over a 500/1000 mile period then no worries. Also these cars need to be driven. Short stop starts soot-up the exhausts tips also.

One easy way to check is to do an emissions test and see what that shows up(re using oil)

Chances are all is well.

Ranfurly66 said:
Another related question. My car was serviced about 1000 km ago. Just checked the oil level (stone cold hasn't been driven for 2 days) and the measurement shows 2 sectors down from full. Any thoughts on this being usual oil consumption or do I need it to be warmed up then sit like my old 993 to get a proper measurement?

Cheers
Richard

I had the same experience after my 997 was serviced. I returned to the dealer and he explained that you need to measure the oil when the engine is running at full operating temperature as the 'oil expands'. Not sure if the latter is true especially as he proceeded to tell me they topped up the oil as matter of courtesy. :?

Zantaz said:
Ranfurly66 said:

Cheers
Richard

I had the same experience after my 997 was serviced. I returned to the dealer and he explained that you need to measure the oil when the engine is RUNNING at full operating temperature as the 'oil expands'. Not sure if the latter is true especially as he proceeded to tell me they topped up the oil as matter of courtesy. :?

Not running, surely?

And yes, the oil expands more than the block, hence net level increase.

Fill it cold and it will be overfilled.

Thanks guys bloody reassuring to get your thoughts. Will check levels when its hot. Well its late here and the wife is calling..... :thumbs:

GT4 said:
Zantaz said:
Ranfurly66 said:

Cheers
Richard

I had the same experience after my 997 was serviced. I returned to the dealer and he explained that you need to measure the oil when the engine is RUNNING at full operating temperature as the 'oil expands'. Not sure if the latter is true especially as he proceeded to tell me they topped up the oil as matter of courtesy. :?

Not running, surely?

And yes, the oil expands more than the block, hence net level increase.

Fill it cold and it will be overfilled.

No not running! I meant after the engine has been run and it's up to operating temperature then switch off and check.

OK, I thought you were contradicting my post two above your original post.

No, in fairness your post didn't appear in my view until after I had posted mine.

I do that alot: check the "New Posts" listing and open all the interesting ones in a new windows/tabs.

By the time I get to the later ones (which I always forget to refresh), I am about five posts/replies behind!

To the OP...I had my car checked out by my OPC after I responded to your thread and the OPC diagnosed my car with scored cylinders.

This is what my exhaust tips looked like....

scoring_zps5e588054.jpg

Car is being repaired under warranty.

Thanks! Looking at your left tip I'm wondering about mine as similar staining (as far as I can make out) though both of mine are consistent in colour so good both consistent and no real 'soot' build up or bad as both sides gone hence staining on both sides .... :dont know: hard to get a good comparison from the picture.

Will need to have a look at a few other cars in the flesh and see what sort of staining they have on their tips for comparative mileage.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny-g
Back