Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Phone holder advice

The front and rear USB sockets on the new Blaupunkt Bremen and Frankfurt will power a phone but the 500mA output is so low they will not charge it. So if you have Bluetooth on, cellular scanning and navigation screen you will only just about maintain the charge. Even with everything off I doubt you will see much of a charge boost. I fitted one of these fast chargers:
va1F6zu.jpg

X2R3CFe.jpg

Velcro'd under the ashtray (which still works as normal):
PTWOtWt.jpg

Incidentally this is what I had to do to the Rennline holder. Useless supplied screw on right.. Allen A/F bolt on left:
0lnyKJO.jpg

The front and rear USB sockets on the new Blaupunkt Bremen and Frankfurt will power a phone but the 500mA output is so low they will not charge it. So if you have Bluetooth on, cellular scanning and navigation screen you will only just about maintain the charge. Even with everything off I doubt you will see much of a charge boost. I fitted one of these fast chargers:
va1F6zu.jpg

X2R3CFe.jpg

PTWOtWt.jpg

Incidentally this is what I had to do to the Rennline holder. Useless supplied screw on right.. Allen A/F bolt on left:
0lnyKJO.jpg
That great advice thank you, I’ve ordered something very similar and will make up a pigtail from the back of the cig lighter👍

va1F6zu.jpg

X2R3CFe.jpg

PTWOtWt.jpg

0lnyKJO.jpg
You don’t have a link to that usb box do you, it does look neat👍

The front and rear USB sockets on the new Blaupunkt Bremen and Frankfurt will power a phone but the 500mA output is so low they will not charge it. So if you have Bluetooth on, cellular scanning and navigation screen you will only just about maintain the charge.
A few weeks ago, I reached out to Blaupunkt to find out what kind of power each (front, and rear) USB port offers on the Frankfurt model.

Here is their email response:

eITvVXP.png

...and reference to Technical Spec in the manual:

nTCAIxs.png

For this reason, I went down a different route. Will post below.

Last edited:
Intrigued by the following post by @Paulb33 ...

...and coupled with feeling inspired by @Gwsinc 's handiwork seen in the post below:

(give him a follow if you don't already, he's always tinkering with his 993 with smart solutions 👏)

I set about trying to copy the above despite the LHD/RHD difference. Admittedly, as I am generally useless with DIY, much handholding was required - thank you Greg! 🙌.

The end result looks like this:

Mount: Rennline ExactFit Magnetic Mount
Wireless Charging Pad: MagSafe® Compatible Adhesive Charging Car Mount
Power: 12V to 5V USB-C Converter DC 12V to Type C 5V 3A

XwZe9Ba.jpeg

jd0j1JC.jpeg

XZSQloY.jpeg

fexTvZ8.jpeg

yhlJoGr.jpeg

cxaLFpS.jpeg

No more charging cables :), fast-enough charging availability (y), and importantly, no ugly branding visible on the components :cool:.

Last edited:
Intrigued by the following post by @Paulb33 ...

...and coupled with feeling inspired by @Gwsinc 's handiwork seen in the post below:

(give him a follow if you don't already, he's always tinkering with his 993 with smart solutions 👏)

I set about trying to copy the above despite the LHD/RHD difference. Admittedly, as I am generally useless with DIY, much handholding was required - thank you Greg! 🙌.

The end result looks like this:

Mount: Rennline ExactFit Magnetic Mount
Wireless Charging Pad: MagSafe® Compatible Adhesive Charging Car Mount
Power: 12V to 5V USB-C Converter DC 12V to Type C 5V 3A

XwZe9Ba.jpeg

jd0j1JC.jpeg

XZSQloY.jpeg

fexTvZ8.jpeg

yhlJoGr.jpeg

cxaLFpS.jpeg

No more charging cables :), fast charging availability (y), and importantly, no ugly branding visible on the components :cool:.

Great work, Chet. Looks tidy. How may amps does the MagSafe connector deliver?
Paul

I went for the simple, cheap but very effective option plus it’s easier to use against the door handle because you can steady your wrist on there as you tap the phone

Great work, Chet. Looks tidy. How may amps does the MagSafe connector deliver?
Paul
Thanks.

In the same way I reached out to Blaupunkt to understand the charging oomph their USB ports deliver (see post #21: https://911uk.com/threads/phone-holder-advice.125164/post-2691576), I posed the same question to Mous too. Whist the former responded - and clearly - within hours, Mous have stumbled for 7 days now, not really providing any clear confirmation despite having 'forwarded your enquiry on to the relevant team'.

Given I had the product already, and knowing Greg got on with it very well in terms of charging his iPhone 14P whilst using GPS, I went ahead with the install anyway. The first and only test so far was at the weekend just gone. We took the car out to a local meet and with Google Maps running, my iPhone 15P charged well enough (i.e. battery percentage was increasing - although no where near 'fast charging' speeds).
What I haven't tested yet is Google Maps + audio streaming (I tend to use TuneIn).

EDIT: This is what is on the back of the charging pad:

KyN23Jl.jpeg

I have been asking Mous what is supported for iPhone 15 Pro specifically (as I read somewhere different devices support different charging speeds, and that battery type/capacity also affect supported speeds). If they respond with a clear answer, I'll update this post. If it is indeed 1.67A, that's still better than what the Blaupunkt Frankfurt offers: max 1A.

Having used this setup for a few years it certainly charges your phone quickly enough.

Not quite as quick as Apple MagSafe connected to a 30w socket, but after a long day at the Goodwood members meeting and my phone nearing 30%, it was fully recharged on the 40 mins drive home.

Keep in mind that the USB adaptor converts from 12v to 5v 3A (max) so you’re getting more than the 12v/1.67A noted on the back of the charger.

I’ve just downloaded a battery charging speed app, will let you know the results soon…

Thanks.

In the same way I reached out to Blaupunkt to understand the charging oomph their USB ports deliver (see post #21: https://911uk.com/threads/phone-holder-advice.125164/post-2691576), I posed the same question to Mous too. Whist the former responded - and clearly - within hours, Mous have stumbled for 7 days now, not really providing any clear confirmation despite having 'forwarded your enquiry on to the relevant team'.

Given I had the product already, and knowing Greg got on with it very well in terms of charging his iPhone 14P whilst using GPS, I went ahead with the install anyway. The first and only test so far was at the weekend just gone. We took the car out to a local meet and with Google Maps running, my iPhone 15P charged well enough (i.e. battery percentage was increasing - although no where near 'fast charging' speeds).
What I haven't tested yet is Google Maps + audio streaming (I tend to use TuneIn).

EDIT: This is what is on the back of the charging pad:

KyN23Jl.jpeg

I have been asking Mous what is supported for iPhone 15 Pro specifically (as I read somewhere different devices support different charging speeds, and that battery type/capacity also affect supported speeds). If they respond with a clear answer, I'll update this post. If it is indeed 1.67A, that's still better than what the Blaupunkt Frankfurt offers: max 1A.
Looks like it’s more than the Blau puts out…

Looks like it’s more than the Blau puts out…
Yep that we can be confident of. However...

I’ve just downloaded a battery charging speed app, will let you know the results soon…
I read your post and decided to try to do the same.
I landed on Charger Master on the Apple App Store (no idea if any good - no prior experience) and tested with:
  • iPhone15Pro at 40%, connected to Apple USB-C wall 20W charger
    (and then a bit later on)

• iPhone15Pro at 40%, placed on the Mous charging pad
Here are the results from within the app:

c1TSUqC.png

Firstly, not sure how accurate/trustworthy the data is - it's a free app afterall - because the Apple wall charger (this one: MUVT3B/A/20w-usb-c-power-adapter) is reported to have charged my phone at 23.80w which is higher than it's manufacturer rating?!

Secondly, if this app is anywhere near accurate, then 6.25w is rather underwhelming for the wireless charging pad 🤔... even if it appears to be report that 1% of battery was gained every 79 seconds (?) - which actually seems decent 🙃😀.

I haven't done this test in the car yet but I tested a Apple MagSafe charger connected to a USB C integrated to a wall socket, came out at 5.72 watts. Again not lightning fast but charged quickly enough.

As much as I like geeking out over numbers, my real world experience is that I've never finished a drive and been low on charge with this setup. Worst case turn on low power mode and it'll charge twice as quickly again... ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leeadam
Back