Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Petty I know ?

IceMan

Trainee
Hi All,

Over the last few weeks, admiring every 911 that goes past.....I was just wondering the what all the badges actually mean if anything?

I know what the GT2, GT3, Turbo etc mean.

But why?? :

Do some have just 911 on the back, some carrera and the others actually tell you that it is a carrera 2 or 4 ?

Must admit, the 996 I saw today which looked really special, can't quite tell you why had a 911 badge on the back in italics.

IcMan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36366

I think this is right

Starting from the 964 (there wasnt a 4WD before)

Carrera 2 was badged as 2, Carrera 4 was badged as 4.

993 Model : Carrera 2 was just Carrera with Carrera 4 badged as 4 (same with 'S' models)

996 Model : same as 993

997: same as 993

The '911' in script was I think badged on celebration/anniversary models and possibly available as an option

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36367

oh man - your hooked once you start getting into the meanings behind the badges !

the 996 that you saw with the 911 in italics means that its the 50 year "celebration" model - special paint and wheels if i remember correctly.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36368

Well it looked pretty special.....driving past big Ben in the morning sun.

Some have carrera only and some have carrera 2 or carrera 4 !

Are people trying to hide what model they are infact driving?

Iceman

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36369

993 & 996 for a carrera 2 I.E black carrera badge no "2"

carrera 4 is a silver badge with a 4

( just to confuse you I allways put a silver carrera 4 badge without the 4 on all dark colour carrera 2 's i sell because i think it looks nicer in silver on a black/ blue car

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36370

Mine just says "Targa" - does exactly what it says on the tin. :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36374

I'm confused by the 997- with the 993, the C4S and C2S was both widebody, but with the 997, the Carrera S is standard body, but the Carrera 4S is widebody... why is there no RWD widebody?

Of course, you can buy whatever badge you want anyway... Targa RS anyone?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36377

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 26 October 2005

oh man - your hooked once you start getting into the meanings behind the badges !

the 996 that you saw with the 911 in italics means that its the 50 year "celebration" model - special paint and wheels if i remember correctly.

this is confusing me a tad...............if its a 50 year celebration,then why is the 964 LE version called also called the "30 Jahre"..............or was it just to do with the 911's "anniversary" for the 30 Jahre ones and the 996 versions are to do with Porsche as a company's anniversary

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36380

Roddy - you got it - different milestones are being celebrated.

There was also a 3.2 Carrera "celebration" which had headrests signed/stiched using Mr Porsche's signature - around 1988 i think. - 25 years of 911 methinks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36382

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Robert Bill on 26 October 2005

Of course, you can buy whatever badge you want anyway... Targa RS anyone?

dont forget sundeep's special car - Targa "S" - :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36383

Definatley confused now....

I will just make sure what it says on the V5 !

IceMan

PS. I think it looks the best with 911 in script in silver/chrome? "probably an option"

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36387

I thought the 996 Anniversary was the 40th Anniversary, not the 50th...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36388

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Roddy Kennedy on 26 October 2005

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Warren M on 26 October 2005

this is confusing me a tad...............if its a 50 year celebration,then why is the 964 LE version called also called the "30 Jahre"..............or was it just to do with the 911's "anniversary" for the 30 Jahre ones and the 996 versions are to do with Porsche as a company's anniversary
I think the 996 celebration edition was the 40 jahre, which would tie in with the 964 30 jahre edition.

There was also a 996 'millenium' edition in Viola metallic with some bling smoked chrome wheels, and rather doubtful walnut trim.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36390

My car (which I pick up in 2 days) doesn't have any badging (it was deleted as a NCO) by the original owner - not sure whether I will buy one and put it back on or not.......

Migration info. Legacy thread was 36393

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xx22
Back