Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Performance driving schools (S.E.)

smtk

Paul Ricard
Hi I just wanted to ask you guys for some advice.

I just bought a 993TT and I wanted to get some driver training on it. I live in SW London and was hoping for a place in the SE to go a learn the limits of the car, how to get the most out of it and have a good time.

Can you recommend any performance driving schools near me?

Thanks in advance

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32016

Well, I've used nearly all of them -

Bernard Aubrey - great

Don palmer - league of his own - highly recommended - Bruntingthorpe

Anthony Dunn - Great on track tuition - Bedford is a great place to go

Andy Walsh - Again, brilliant - can take a while to book up

At all the tracks you'll find a decent instructor.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32018

I've only used Don Palmer from the above - very good, amazing driving skill, unfortunately none of it rubbed off on me!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32019

Bernard Aubrey is offering a deal on his one day session if you say you are a "Total 911" reader!

There was a good article in it about his course last month...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32020

ty for the advice

I think don sounds good. Is he one to one or dose he have 2 students at a time? Each review seems to have 2 people being instructed on the same day. How hard is he to book up?

Also does Bernard have a website?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32083

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by admin on 01 August 2005

I've only used Don Palmer from the above - very good, amazing driving skill, unfortunately none of it rubbed off on me!
phil you are being so modest, you are a legend in your own time...

interesting thing about don palmer, I've heard good things about him from the non-porsche world as well, but based on these comments it looks like I'll be booking that session !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32108

The only technique I've managed to excel in is the 360 spin.

A lot of Lotus guys use Don, that's how I found out about him.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32113

I've also heard good things about Bernard Aubrey.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32114

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by admin on 03 August 2005

The only technique I've managed to excel in is the 360 spin.
a skill that I have yet to master... oh wise one....

er.. actually I do want to learn that part as well.. yes seriously !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32115

nice video :)

Can one expect to go through a set of tires when on this coruse?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32118

No, they we're knackered before I started. You have to give it 100% though otherwise you'll never learn anything.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32121

I was bought a day at a Porsche track day at Silverstone for a Birthday pressie :D

I thought I knew driving lines, when to break, when to and not to lift off, apexex's of corners, etc , etc.

I think during the day I got one corner right!! :p :( :oops:
. It was my first track day in my defence and there were a lot of "big boys" out there. So with an open pit day I was mixing with them all!

One pic shows me at the front of a group of cars....leading the field!

Ok I was holding the rest of the guys up! sorrrrrrrrrrry if you happened to be there!

Ohhhh I only had the little C reg 944 at that point. Lovely car wish I could keep it but it has made room for... well Later about that!

Maybe I should redo it in the new aquisition!!

I did have a session with one of there instructors and he was really good. However I think you really need to just get out there and do it. Practice till you know a track or road and see how you go.

Hope that doesn't sound to cocky?!?! I'm not saying I'm the perfect driver..move over Michael Schu.... but hmmm maybe I should shut up now before this hole gets bigger. Or maybe I should try a driving course!? Well its made me think anyway

Migration info. Legacy thread was 32129

I think it depends very much what you want to once you have had your instruction. Most of us do not spend most of our time driving on the racetrack. If you do then I could certainly suggest a few to do this too would be absolutely invaluable. I would certainly counsel you to have instruction from a racing driver who was experienced in the type of car that you wish to race. I know that after I had been racing for more than 20 years I switched from rearwheel drive to front wheel drive and found myself at the back of the grid!

If you want to enjoy your car on the road, particularly if it is a Porsche, I personally feel that Bernard Aubrey is without equal. I have been privileged to be in a motorcar with a great number of world-class drivers including Derek Bell. I have also shared race cars with some fantastic drivers that have made me feel very humble. However in terms of road driving and I have never been with anyone who I think demonstrates such consistently high standards as Bernard. He is very talented, very funny and a thoroughly pleasant man. I believe he can be contacted on 01483 773939.

I have spent quite a number of days with Bernard in quite a variety of different motorcars including things such as infamous Lancia Delta Intergrale and of course a number of different 911's. I have been with him in historic machinery and even in a Ferrari. In all cases he has demonstrated a standard of such smooth, safe and unbelievably swift driving that it has for more than 15 years been my benchmark of how a road car should be driven.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45333

Interesting Angus... Welcome BTW!

I am very tempted to book a Bernard Aubry course... I feel I could do with some refresher training. :oops:

Robert.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 45337

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markt13
Back