Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PDK low speed judder when warm

sarsonic

Hi all,

I recently bought a 997.2 Carrera MY10. Its done 80k and now I'm getting to know the car a bit I've noticed a judder from the gearbox when warm, this is then followed by a faint smell of clutch (yes I know its sealed but OPC Byfleet tell me a clutch smell can still happen sometimes). I can only find people who have had similar issues when the gearbox is cold but mine is perfect at that point.
I first noticed it after crawling round a packed car park for 10 minutes - it would judder from first to second. I've since noticed I can repeat it when stuck in traffic for 5 to 10 minutes. On long drives at a decent speed its always perfect every other gearchange from 2nd upwards is always faultless. I've just had a major service with the PDK oil changed and nothing odd reported. It's now with OPC Byfleet for them to re-set the software and adjust the clutches.

Has anyone else had this issue? If stuck in traffic is it good practice to knock it into neutral?

Thanks all

Happens on manuals (GT cars specifically), so given PDK is a dual clutch I'm not really surprised it happens on those. The cure on a GT car is an Italian Tune-up (otherwise known as a good blat), clutch changes under harder acceleration and higher speeds rough up the clutch enough to remove the judder. The judder usually happens due to the constant stop-start of heavy traffic polishing/smoothing the clutch plates.

... Not sure if that helps at all... I'm sure a someone who knows what they're talking about will be along soon... :thumb:

Mine was a bit like that whilst on a Euro Hoon last week, especially when stuck in traffic in Paris. Little bit clunky between first and second, fine after that though.

Btw 80K, good going! :worship:

Thanks both.
OPC Byfeet have opened up a ticket with Porsche Germany as they said it doesn't seem good. Just spoken to the previous owner and he said he had only noticed a judder now and then and hadn't worried about it as it always seemed fine the rest of the time.
Little bit concerned that it might be a replacement PDK. It might be covered under the non-OPC warranty I have but if it isn't does anyone know the cost or if anywhere is servicing them yet? I'm guestimating £8k but barely anyone seems to have had any issues so I think I'm pretty unlucky!
Not quite the first Porsche ownership I had in mind.

Chris

Replacement 'box is about £15K IIRC.

I still think it's normal, but then Byfleet do know their stuff. Maybe I'll mention mine to Colchester when I'm there on Saturday.

Thanks Ekona.
At 15k if it can't be improved I'll live with it and avoid busy carparks!
No one seems to have a PDK failure after the symptons I've had, generally its overheating warnings or stuck in gear, I've never had either. I recently had the PDK oil replaced by GTOne and they didn't spot anything wrong.
I've also got a knocking noise from the back left of the engine. GTOne thought it was HPFP related (mines on its second). Byfleet think it might be linked to the gearbox issue. They didn't get back to me today so hopefully I'll hear tomorrow.
Was supposed to be heading to the lake district in it tomorrow night... oh well!

Ah man, that sucks :( Fingers crossed everything gets sorted for you bud.

Mines on the third HPFP now :mrgreen:

Heard back from Byfleet. Porsche Germany have told them to do a complete wipe and re-set of the gearbox and input a load of new information and then complete a lot of tests.
Fingers crossed that fixes it and hopefully this is the sort of "value" you get from an OPC!
Once that's done lets see about the HPFP!
Ekona have you had all of your HPFP done under warranty?

Thanks

Chris

Oh yes, and had the LPFP done too. The HPFP was only faulty the once, but they changed them over again and again due to an issue with the wrong fuel controller fitted to my car. Right pig of a job to diagnose, I'm just glad it was all under warranty!

Hopefully a reinstall of the software for the 'box will sort it.

Ekona said:
Oh yes, and had the LPFP done too. The HPFP was only faulty the once, but they changed them over again and again due to an issue with the wrong fuel controller fitted to my car. Right pig of a job to diagnose, I'm just glad it was all under warranty!

Hopefully a reinstall of the software for the 'box will sort it.

"Wrong fuel controller fitted to my car"? :?:

Was it the wrong type of in-tank unit for your model?

Ha yes, thanks. I had to read all the way to the last line of your post to find the answer. :D I just wondered whether you meant the in-tank module or something else, as I wasn't aware of anything else which might fit the description "fuel controller".

"For the TLDR brigade, car broke x3, wrong fuel pump module due to having a TV tuner installed, all fixed now."

PDK replacement looms closer

Had an update from Porsche Byfleet today. They've done all the changes and tests to the gearbox that Porsche advised them to do but no avail. Its still juddering when moving slowly once warm. They fear it may now be a PDK replacement but are waiting for more info from Porsche. This could be a slightly hard to swallow £15k bill coming my way...... Bread and water for me then! Lets hope they find a miracle cure......

Does beg the question, my car does have a high mileage but not lead a very stressful life. How is the GT3 PDK box going to cope after 3 years of use! Has anyone heard of someone willing to take apart a PDK and have a go at fixing one?

There's some guys in the US who have cut one open, but no direct replacement parts that I'm aware of.

If you do need a replacement, perhaps getting a used item via a breakers might be a cheaper option? How bad is the judder?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeff dussault
Back