Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PDK from non-OPC/Independent

StephenS1

Monza
As it's impossible to over rev and generally abuse the engine on a car with a PDK gearbox I'm wondering whether that means you are better off getting a cheaper deal from a non-OPC/Independent dealer if you are buying a non-manual car.

I'm guessing that the engine is by far the most expensive thing to go wrong and if you know that the gearbox won't allow any beastly behaviour toward the engine then that should give people the same peace of mind they would normally get from a more expensive dealer no?

The PDK box is a pretty expensive unit, which (from reading Planet 9) I understand can't currently be repaired by OPC's due to lack of knowledge/factory support, so on the handful of failures that have occurred, a replacement box was fitted?

Nothing stops the owner thrashing from cold or not filling the oil and coolant.

It will prevent over-revs, but I take an alternate view: allow over-revs and take any number of other safety-nets away (Hell, even drop the ABS and PSM), the point being if you find a car that can be abused and it isn't, that's a good thing, as there is a correlation to how much respect and care the owner showed to every other aspect.

As to the ABS and PSM comment, possibly a throw-away line, but put it this way, if a Darwin Award winner spins and crashes-out their 911, at least I won't need to waste much time deciding to move on to the next one.

GT4 said:
It will prevent over-revs, but I take an alternate view: allow over-revs and take any number of other safety-nets away (Hell, even drop the ABS and PSM), the point being if you find a car that can be abused and it isn't, that's a good thing

But how do you know if it has been abused?

Well specifically regarding the over-revs you are so wary of, you ask the car has it had any over-revs (the DME stores how many, when and at what rpm any excursions took place).

The rest is down to your TLC due diligence, and if required, a PPI.

Condition, condition, condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markt13
Back