Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PASM necessary?

F1ashgordon

Hi gents.
I'm getting impatient looking for an a low mileage 997.2 with PASM for approx £35-40ish k (that's the range I'm comfortable with, could go higher but then I'd run in to the man maths/do I really need it justifications which end up with me looking at Ferrari or a 993 turbo!).
I missed out on one from OPC in Jan.
2S aren't quite there yet and I'm not bothered about having the S on the back.
As the 997.2 carrera is more than quick enough on the badly surfaced country a+b roads I'll be trying to enjoy the car on, I was curious if anyone's had any experience of PASM vs non-PASM in the 997.2?

Car will likely have 19" wheels (don't seem many were specified with 18") and be manual.

I've had a read of many of the threads that mention it, but most aren't directly asking about PASM on a 997.2 and tend to end up mentioning CS vs C resale, options, value etc (I've been lurking on here for maybe 6 months!)- I'm not bothered, I simply want the best 'my first 911' driving experience on the roads at my disposal.

Thank you for all your help in advance.

Hi, welcome to the forum. To answer your question succinctly, PASM is not necesary for road driving. The straight coil set up of the 997 C2/C4 is favoured by many car magazines who have done a PASM vs non-PASM test. Only if you decide to track the car then you might have wished for PASM.

As an aside, I rarely ever use PASM on my car.

~ Maxie

On 18" wheels, you'd be okay. On 19" wheels, PASM is a must unless you want a very harsh ride. On the upside, 18" wheels weigh less so you'll go faster too! :D

PASM isn't that great on track as it doesn't have the defined limits of a passive setup, which makes it a bit tricky to get consistency as you're fighting against the system somewhat. I use the hard setting on some roads at times, but generally speaking the roads near me are too poor to make any real use of the system.

If you lived somewhere with very smooth roads you might be okay with no PASM and 19" wheels, but personally I wouldn't risk it. Either go 18 or go PASM IMHO. Or stick with 19" wheels and fit something like Bilstein PSS9/10s, best idea all round if you want the best handling.

Maxie said:
Only if you decide to track the car then you might have wished for PASM.

And even then, you might prefer to not have PASM because static shocks are somewhat more predictable than a system that's constantly trying to adapt to changing road conditions.

Ekona said:
On 19" wheels, PASM is a must unless you want a very harsh ride.

Why?

~ Maxie :?:

Thank you. Sorry, should have made it clearer, as my question relates to the standard ride on non-PASM VS PASM on poor roads, not the benefit of the 'harder' PASM setting on track (or road for that matter).
I'd heard that standard dampers were possibly better for road but as Ekona pointed out, that's on 18" (or so I've read) and the ride in a PASM equipped car is more compliant, apparently.
I know a test drive is the only real answer but wanted to canvas opinion.

Maxie said:
Ekona said:

Why?

I dunno, why would you want a very harsh ride? ;)

There's not enough give in the tyre walls on a 19" wheel to allow any extra damping over what you have in the suspension, plus the extra unsprung weight means it's a very crashy ride. If you can it's worth trying a car with no PASM and the bigger wheels, within 2 mins you'll know exactly what I mean.

On the 9x1 series they've eliminated this problem despite going up a wheel size, scarily brilliant piece of engineering which means no longer PASM the must-have it used to be.

I have PASM on my car with 19's and find the ride far too harsh on streets when I switch it on. The bloody pot holes and uneven surfaces of our roads are exaggerated to an uncomfortable level with it on.

You only need PASM for the track (or very very smooth roads)

So it's great if you have/do the above but not necessary AT-ALL if you don't

:thumb:

Ekona said:
Maxie said:
Ekona said:

Why?

I dunno, why would you want a very harsh ride? ;)

There's not enough give in the tyre walls on a 19" wheel to allow any extra damping over what you have in the suspension, plus the extra unsprung weight means it's a very crashy ride. If you can it's worth trying a car with no PASM and the bigger wheels, within 2 mins you'll know exactly what I mean.

Is this based on your personal experience?

Don't wish to be a pain but long time member Theo (on the forum) reports of no harshness on his 19" wheeled C2 997. This is a personal experience based on his ownership. Just trying to clarify if your response is similar or is yours based on theory?

~ Maxie

he reports no harshness relative to 19" with PASM?

or just that it doesn't feel too bad to him in isolation?

markiii said:

Not sure...best ask him the question.

~ Maxie

markiii said:

The answer to this is what I'm after but not limited to Theo's response.

freddie44 said:
You only need PASM for the track (or very very smooth roads)

A strange claim; I always understood that Porsche developed PASM to try to make the car more acceptable for normal road driving :dont know:

Every racing driver I've asked absolutely hates PASM on track near the limit. It's fine if you are not pushing hard but over about 8/10ths it starts to fight back as it simply can't keep up with the dynamic demands and seems to go into a mode where the damping suddenly becomes extremely firm & you lose any compliance it previously had. I've been in the passenger seat & felt it for myself; it's not a pleasant feeling.

I'm told that the same can also happen on the road but you need to be driving in a "lock me up & throw away the key" way to see it.

No racing Porsche has any kind of active suspension - what does that tell you? :wink:

Perhaps 'need' wasn't necessarily the right word? Perhaps he meant 'too harsh for anything but' track/smooth road when deployed?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pacific7174
Back