Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Paint Protection - Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Carr

I've got a 997 C2S arriving in March next year and am thinking about various paint sealants and/or protection. Has anyone got experience of having Armourfend or other similar products (clear film applied to bumpers and leading edge of the bonnet) fitted? How noticeable are they, do they yellow with age, how much do they cost to have applied, do they actually work?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34403

quite answer would be to do a search on 'armourfend' as there have been a few posts in the past on that subject

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34406

HI
Andy

I have had armourfend fitted to my 997 from new at a cost of just over £700 (I had the gold option 1/3 bonnet, all the front, mirrors, sills etc)

Having had the car 8 moths and covered over 14,000 miles I cannot recommend it highly enough. It does a great job of protecting the car from stone chips and scratches. I recently had to have my windscreen changed due to chips etc however the paint on the car is still pretty much immaculate.

My car is GT silver and the line where the film stops shows up very cleary and is often mistaken for a huge scratch, I therefore recommend you try and see a car (in your colour) that has had it fitted and make sure you can live with it.

Regards

Attiq

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34605

I also had the "full" protection. It's not too noticable on a light coloured/silver car but the bonnet one might be a bit more obvious on a dark/black car. You can always have everything else except th bonnet one, ala Sundeep's car. Best compromise between protection and asthetic I think.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 34608

That is a very old system that is not very good and does show up quite a lot.

[shamless advertising removed]

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35191

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Carl Sherratt on 10 October 2005

So what is the latest system?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35231

Glad to know it's not a sham anyway... :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35233

VentureShield.

From the info I have on the subject, most of these companies use the same 3M product, though I'd be interested to know if this isn't the case...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35242

Phil,

That is what I have read as well, just a case of rebranding the 3M product which can result in a difference running into several hundred pounds.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 35257

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Carl Sherratt on 10 October 2005

This is complete rubbish, Ventureshield based their whole program on Armourfends earlier work (Armourfend are our biggest competitor so I am not biased here) Their designer is Keith Mansfield, who worked with Bob for years (not on design incidentally according to Bob). As for showing up quite a lot more, nonsense as it depends on the film used and the designs, whether the product shows up very much.

For instance the more pieces a kit has the more gaps (logical) so the more places for dirt and wax residue to get trapped. Also visibility is a function of the film, no topcoat to seal the film then the film will retain contaminents, there are pictures I could post if I knew how :) This is what makes the film Obvious on your car. The only films available with a topcoat are 3M, clearshield (Bekaert), the newest Avery product (not yet widely available in Europe) and the New Madico film. of these the most expensive is Madico, but its to new to say how well it will work (the same with Avery). We have tested all these films but still prefer the 3M film (although the clearshield is a close second).

Cheers

Tom

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44260

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by G-Unit on 28 January 2006

Get a car bra. :wink: :D
<SCRIPT language=javascript>postamble();

OH really :wink:

You want to do this to your car :)

What A vinyl car Bra does to your Porker :eek:

postamble();

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44267

All I see is a red cross. However I have seen loads of cars in europe, not normal cars, im talking about hardcore concourse show cars that wear leather car bras1.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 44283

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfaMax1996
Back