Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Outie Issues

DucatiRob

Mugello
I'd noticed a tiny imperfection in the paintwork over the offside rear wheel arch about a year ago, this grew noticeably over time. I'd heard about the 'outie' phenomena and suspected this was the issue! Chatting to a few 911ukers at Beaulieu last year confirmed this was my problem! This is where blind rivets that fix the rear side window seal have been drilled out at some point fall and become wedged between the inner and outer panels over the wheel arch, over time vibration causes the the little beggers to wedge themselves even further in and start to push the panel outwards.

My outie had become quite noticeable and as I'm having a respray next month I needed to get it sorted.

Actually looks worse in this pic than it is.
IMG-20210411-180229.jpg

I bought a cheap endoscope off eBay to locate the offending items, not difficult to find and there were actually two of them!

Here is one of them, I'd already dislodged it a little but you can see how far it had pushed into the panel.
IMG-20210411-182455.jpg

A piece of wire bent into a hook wouldn't shift them, I had to use a slim bladed flexible kitchen knife to get underneath and sort of lever them out!

And here are the blighters once removed.
IMG-20210411-105312.jpg

Apparently quite a common problem on 997's. Quite satisfying to extract though!

Brilliant diagnosis of the problem, and a superb little device. :thumb:

You have had the rear window base seal replaced at some point .. held in place by rivets and when drilled out the end of the rivet can drop down .. this is the cause of this .

Trying to catch them is nigh on impossible .

Attachments

• rivets_191.jpg
    rivets_191.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 1,561
deMort said:
You have had the rear window base seal replaced at some point .. held in place by rivets and when drilled out the end of the rivet can drop down .. this is the cause of this .

Trying to catch them is nigh on impossible .

Exactly Iain! I just need to make sure that when my car is resprayed they don't leave any more of them as the rear windows will need to come out.

DRZ911 said:
Brilliant diagnosis of the problem, and a superb little device. :thumb:

Thanks :thumb: The only issue I have with the device is that I can't transfer the pictures to my PC, its a Mac so may not be compatible or I need to transfer straight from the SD card. For £40 though it's a bargain, ideal for inspecting all the difficult to reach places on a 997!

I thought this thread was going to be about belly buttons. I've got an innie so wouldn't have been able to help.

Good work that though. As you say, very satisfying. Great little tool too. 8)

great pictures, thanks.

How did you go about getting them out? Is it just a case of removing the interior trim to get inside the panel? Or more difficult than that?

We removed 5 rivet heads from my gen2 a couple of years ago, 2 were jammed causing outies the others were lying in the bottom of the double skin probably being those annoying rattles you can never find lol we used James borescope to find them then a bendy tool with blue tack on the end to remove them . :grin: :thumb: :thumb:

Valentinik said:
great pictures, thanks.

How did you go about getting them out? Is it just a case of removing the interior trim to get inside the panel? Or more difficult than that?

Yes, just one screw behind the seat belt trim and remove the seat back locating pin then the panel just pulls away to remove. Once you locate the rivet reads it's just a question of levering them out with something, I used a thin bladed knife that I managed to get underneath and prised them up, then its just a question of getting them out. The endoscope has a tiny magnet attachment that I picked them out with :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
We removed 5 rivet heads from my gen2 a couple of years ago, 2 were jammed causing outies the others were lying in the bottom of the double skin probably being those annoying rattles you can never find lol we used James borescope to find them then a bendy tool with blue tack on the end to remove them . :grin: :thumb: :thumb:

Will be having another good look for anymore of the things before it goes for paintwork and checking the other side too just in case :thumb:

DucatiRob said:
Phil 997 said:

Will be having another good look for anymore of the things before it goes for paintwork and checking the other side too just in case :thumb:

worth doing mate then at least you know its not that when you hear a rattle , mind you mate you wouldn't hear any rattles with the ICE set up in yours :grin: :grin: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
11erCharlie
Back