Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Outdoor Car Covers - please specify yours

Wolvreen

Trainee
Which is the most popular outdoor car cover? I am thinking of a 993 but please specify if another car.

Can you please say here and also any useful points (good/bad).

Thanks in advance.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20651

I sell a high number of WeatherShield (made by Covercraft) covers to Porsche owners, no complaints so far. I think it's the best cover available. Not cheap, but it's extremely light, easy to fit and of course, is tailor made.

More info here:
http://www.vertar.com/car-covers.asp

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20652

mine's a medium.. can't recall where I got it from.. but it's grey and heavy duty and I really have to tie it down in bad weather !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20653

I've purchased several from Coverzone recently. They do three types; indoor, indoor/outdoor and outdoor. Obviously different material weights but a lot cheaper than some other suppliers. Can't say why, as I haven't compared them with other makes, some of which have soft fleece linings rather than a two sided material. The saving was worth having for me as two of the covers will only be used in the garage anyway. All the covers were fitted, one for the whale-tail Porsche. I came across them on ebay and would suggest they are worth of consideration.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20672

I have a Covercraft Weathershield which I bought from the USA.
Fits the Boxster perfectly (really really perfect!).

I only ever use it when the car is clean and we are on a trip though.

I must have used it at least half a dozen times :oops:

Highly recommended.

(I have a generic cotton one for use in the garage - it doesn't need to fit exactly in there as it does not get blown around by wind!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20673

I also use CoverCraft WeatherShield. It was nothing short of amazing when new - sheds water like a duck's back. But it has never been as good since I washed it, though it did improve somewhat with hand rinsing in the bath and a tumble dry. Also a shame that the seems aren't taped as water get's in there.

But even though it does 'wet', it still keeps muck (bird, leaf, etc) off the car, and is light and breathes/dries easily. I tend to remove it in gale force winds though (very light covers can be worse as flapping can be abrasive to the paintwork).

I use it daily, as car stored on driveway. Fits like a glove. Look out for factory seconds as a way of getting one cheaper - I got mine cheap because the embroidered logo was spelt wrong (Porsche 933).
http://www.covercraft-europe.com/homepage_car.html

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20709

Mortod,

A question, if you use it every day, what do you do in the morning when its been pouring with rain etc? where do you put the cover? Its the main reason I've never had one, wondering what you do with it when its soaking etc and you have no garage or utility room. Also means you cant take it off wet when you're in a suit or decent clothes?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20746

Personally I don't use mine if the car is wet. But I bought the external one for covering the car at weekends when it is generally unused.

The cover is difficult to compress back into its standard bag. I use a larger yachting holdall to pile mine into if its wet and then throw it in the boot taking care not to soak myself in the process.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20756

Covercraft - Noah - but I bought it really to use in underground car parks etc. It is waterproof though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20757

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by 917k on 17 November 2004

A question, if you use it every day, what do you do in the morning when its been pouring with rain etc? where do you put the cover? Its the main reason I've never had one, wondering what you do with it when its soaking etc and you have no garage or utility room. Also means you cant take it off wet when you're in a suit or decent clothes?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20758

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by 917k on 17 November 2004

When it was new it was so waterproof you could roll it up and leave it in the car and not a drop of water would leak out - it was that good and impervious. Even now, when you put the wet cover back on the car, the water tends to run down into the elasticated ends and pours out when you tuck the ends under.

But since it has become slightly porous I have been forced to store in-doors - I just leave it in a washing up bowl in the utility room. Guess you could do likewise outside. Generally I find I can put the cover on and off without making body contact with it - the technique is to role the sides in and then roll up the long length as it sits on top of the car - all done at arms length.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20759

Many thanks Mortod I may have to try one now,

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20788

BTW - perhaps the reason I don't find it a problem is because I use the very compact single layer Covercraft Weathershield cover - I suspect the multi layer covers are far more bulky to handle.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 20791

Does anyone know of any downside to covering up the car when you get home and there's lots of heat radiating off the back end?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21267

I believe the only downside is to the cover - I try to keep the cover off the exhausts if still hot.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21275

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nick Forest
Back