Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Outdoor car cover recommendations please.

Rawhide

Silverstone
Hi all. I'm interested in an outdoor car cover. My car might spend some time outside and under a tree. I'm after something discreet (to keep the nosey away) which I can also cable lock to keep from people pinching it.

I used to keep a bike under a cover but the paint was damaged at the corner areas due to dirt rubbing as the wind would cause it to move and rub.

Has anyone any ideas? I've seen some advertised but would like to hear recommendations.

Car is a 996

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115561

Coverzone Monsoon gets my recommendation. I had one for about a year and it worked very well in the UK's wet'n'windy weather. More economical and functionally efficient than the uber expensive US Covercraft ones which I don't think are really suited to the weather here.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115619

I've been looking at those and they don't seem to be lined :( Surely that could scratch the car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115625

they are lined - with some sort of synthetic soft material. I found that it doesn't scratch the car at all - even through heavy winds. Because the cover is fitted to the 996, there is very little slack to blow around.

clicky link

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115635

I second Ocean.

I have a coverzone monsoon and it is great. I do only put it on the car when its dry and clean but there have been no scratches and I am very happy with it. And yes it does have a type of liner.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115638

I also agree with Ocean- it is a great cover which is machine washable (not attempted yet)

I had one from them which flaked out in summer, got it replaced free due to the 1year warranty from Parr. Just make sure you don't put it on the exhaust tips when hot, I usually cover the car and once the engine is cool, the cover goes all the way to cover the shell

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115646

I am getting a Porsche Tequipment one for my 997, it's about £300 for the outdoor one. i have no idea as to whether it's any good or not - any opinions on this one?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115649

£300?! You can buy almost 3 Coverzones for the price of that... :?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115650

Ok, for the purpose of this exercise, if I could get the Porsche Tequipment outdoor cover for £100.00 :wink:
is it worth it? i.e. is it a good cover and do I actually need one? My garage isn't yet ready for a car but may be next year.

I really just want a cover so that i can say 'shhhh, she's sleeping' to people.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115654

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by JamieG on 08 February 2007

I really just want a cover so that i can say 'shhhh, she's sleeping' to people.
Awwww....

how cute! :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115659

No idea about the Porsche material used, but unless it is an impermeable/polyurethane-like material on the outside, I can assure you that it will not be waterproof enough for the British climate. If it's just some high-tech Goretex-like woven fabric on the outside, it will lose it's repellancy over time and become as useful as covering your car with a damp towel.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115660

I have used three car covers over the years - all by Covercraft.

http://www.covercraft-europe.com/

I have stuck with them as they have always fitted the car precisely and keep sufficient water off the car, whilst being breathable so can be put on a wet car and it will dry out. I was covering 70's / 80's Italian cars at the time and believe me - i really needed to keep the water off :eek:

They seem to have a database of patterns for most cars and - for example - if you ask for a 993 TT cover (which i recently did), you also have to say if lhd or rhd, as the mirror pockets will be in different places.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115677

I have the Porsche cover & I think it work great, saying that my car is always garaged so It's only really used as a dust and dirt repellent when I'm away, rather than "weather-proof" It is meant to for use inside and out though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115682

I have three of the coverzone ones that I sourced through e-bay but direct at less than rrp. Come in different grades. All are lined (I think). Straps are rubbish but could be sorted.

Only problem is that if you take them off when wet, where do you put them (in a w/p sailing kit bag) ? But then it ends up being put back on wet, moisture is trapped under cover and so on.

Worth having though.

Stevo ..... how do you get a Porsche through a 4'6 wide door?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 115713

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBavers
Back