Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OSF wheel well drain exits?

ch3tman

Suzuka
Hi all,

I noticed a pool of liquid on the ground, in the area immediately behind/adjacent the drivers side front tyre.

Reading around, it appears there could be a few reasons:
  1. Brake fluid drain vent from reservoir
  2. A/C lubricant oil as there is a join in the A/C pipes in this area (?)
  3. Overflow drain outlet from fuel filler. Its not fuel; ruling this out.
  4. Headlight washer leak. These were deleted years ago, ruling this out.
Can someone please advise where precisely the brake vent outlet is within the wheel well?

The liquid didn't have that distinctive brake fluid smell, but I'd like to see if the outlet itself is wet, to be sure...:what:.

Thank you!

Relax.
I had exactly the same experience, it's indeed a bit frightening to see the pool on this location. My brake reservoir had been overfilled, and was vented out the drain hose.
The drain hose outlet is at the rear of the wheel arch, just behind the plastic inner liner. The drain hose from the fuel tank opening is placed alongside the brake hose, just pour some water into the drain hole near the tank cap, and you'll immediately see where the two hoses are placed.
It is also fairly quick to loosen the plastic inner liner to see the hoses.

Cheers,
Tore

Apologies for the thread hijack, but I have had water pools under the NS front wheel. It is definitely water not fuel or fluid. Also it does not smell like it is screenwash (plus I have not had to top up the screen wash for months)
My thoughts are some kind of condensation from the ac condenser .
The ac was running for some
Time when I have noticed it.
(My car is RHD btw)
J

ToreB said:
Relax.
I had exactly the same experience, it's indeed a bit frightening to see the pool on this location. My brake reservoir had been overfilled, and was vented out the drain hose.
The drain hose outlet is at the rear of the wheel arch, just behind the plastic inner liner. The drain hose from the fuel tank opening is placed alongside the brake hose, just pour some water into the drain hole near the tank cap, and you'll immediately see where the two hoses are placed.
It is also fairly quick to loosen the plastic inner liner to see the hoses.

Cheers,
Tore
Hi Tore, thank you for your informative reply - much appreciated! At least I now know where I'm looking :thumb: : on plastic liner itself, not the top of the arch, not the side sill/jacking point area, etc. Great tip on pouring water near the fuel tank cap! :).

In your situation, was your brake fluid vented out immediately after filling? or only after a drive (when subject to usage, pressure, etc.)? I ask because my brake reservoir hasn't been touched or filled since June - during annual service - and the car itself covered minimal miles since anyway.

Makes me wonder why would it vent now, when the car has been sat almost 3 weeks... :?
The weather hasn't been hot enough to prompt a build up of pressure....

There is also a drain hole at the front and on top of the sill, which is only visible with the door open. Shine a torch down the gap between the door and the sill to see it properly.

These can get clogged which leads to a steady drip of water onto the ground for some time after the car has been out in the rain or been washed.

I did mine a long time ago but from memory I used a small-diameter (4mm or so) stiff tube to push through the hole and clear the blockage.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Outrigger
Back