Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Opinions please ... Removing reversing sensors from GT4

Maxthedane

Monza
I'm in the process of a GT4 purchase from an OPC.
Carmine red, buckets, carbon ... plus lots of other options

One issue ... a previous owner retrofitted reversing sensors. Horrible black rings! OPC says to give a 2 year Porsche warranty the sensors have to be removed and rear bumper reinstated.

I've asked how it's being reinstated but haven't had an answer yet. It's due back from their bodyshop later today.

How should it be reinstated (new bumper, filled & sprayed... ?) ... I'm not sure what to expect. Am I worrying about nothing?

I hope to keep the car for a long time but will this effect resale?

Thanks

If it has the OPC seal of approval that would be good enough for me, but if you aren't satisfied with the quality at the point of delivery then don't accept it.

I would say light cosmetic refurb eg repainted front/rear PU is entirely normal and won't affect resale.

👍 :thumb: :thumb:

I wouldn't worry about an OPC job, should be top notch, I'd expect most have been prepped to OPC standards will of had work.

thanks for your comments guys.

I've just had some photos through of the re-instatement. I know nothing about bodyshop work but wasn't quite expecting so much cutback/filler for tiny reversing sensor holes! Guess I'll have photographic evidence of what's been done when I come to sell. No reduction in price offered for the work done - just it had to be for it to come with an OPC warranty

Attachments

• image1_129.jpg
    image1_129.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 6,564
  • image3_151.jpg
    image3_151.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 6,564
  • image4_202.jpg
    image4_202.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 6,564
So good to see this! Thank goodness it's being sorted out!! Can't believe the previous owner did that to it!!

You'll forget it's been done in no time once you take delivery buddy 👌

Maxthedane said:
thanks for your comments guys.

I've just had some photos through of the re-instatement. I know nothing about bodyshop work but wasn't quite expecting so much cutback/filler for tiny reversing sensor holes! Guess I'll have photographic evidence of what's been done when I come to sell. No reduction in price offered for the work done - just it had to be for it to come with an OPC warranty

Hold on: do you mean the OPC is doing this work at their expense and not budging on the purchase price, or is the OPC charging you for this work on top of the purchase price?

The former I can understand. The latter: NFW!

No just to clarify... OPC is doing at their expense. But when I agreed a price I was unaware the extent of the reinstatement. I kinda feel I'm paying for something that now has a bunch of filler ... I did ask at the outset how they intended to reinstate ie was it going to be a new bumper but the sales guy told me he didn't know. Then I eventually got the photos.

Now I've had a call saying they've reversed it into something so more remedial work on the bumper and a smashed rear light unit that requires replacement... you couldn't make it up!

Sorry to hear this!
Please be sure you are happy to buy it before signing on the dotted lines knowing the events that has happened. It should not bug you thinking about it during the ownership.
Personally, I would struggle to manoeuvre a Porsche without reversing sensors.

I assume OPC had only just got the car in when you showed an interest? What I don't understand is why they put the conditionality on the work to be done on having an OPC warranty :dont know: They don't sell cars (at least modern ones) without a full 2 yr warranty do they? I mean why wasn't all this 'in prep'?

What did they say about the wiring to the PCM and software for the parking sensors? Couldn't they have replaced the 'black rings' with painted sensors?

I'm sure I've misunderstood but it seems strange.

I was told it had to be 'stock' for them to give it a formal OPC warranty.
I asked a few times how they were going to put it back to stock but never got a proper answer other than 'the bodyshop know what they're doing". Eventually I received a set of pics which was skimming around the 4 holes and using filler.

I'm beginning to waver a bit. I've suggested they offer me a generous gesture. Who knows how this will pan out. I've put £2k deposit down but I'm sure under distance selling regulations I should be entitled to it back if I don't go ahead. I've yet to see the car in the flesh... just a video.

Of course you should get your deposit back if you don't go ahead.

It just seems weird to me that they intimate the work is being done in order to allow the warranty... 'for you'; they can't sell it without a warranty.

I think it's a rare option on a GT4 and it would leave me with a niggle that there's more to the sensors than just a couple of holes in the bumper (who did the work?).

Not meaning to take the shine off because it difficult car to find at a reasonable price and a fantastic car at that!!

I have to say, contrary to other comments in the thread I too would be wavering.

I can understand OPC having to put the car back to stock in order to sell it with warranty - but I would have expected that when they purchased the car they would have factored in the cost of rectifying the car to a quality standard. They should have also sorted this work out before allowing anyone to view the car.

The dealership salesman is obviously trying to be transparent with the work being done but it does look like they are fixing it the cheapest way possible.

The fact that they are simply filling the holes rather than fitting a new bumper would trouble me. Its the sort of work that would be fine on a Hyundai i10 but not on an expensive GT4! New PU bumpers aren't that expensive considering the value of the car.

Also the fact that they haven't removed the bottom diffuser trim or rear lettering in the photo, suggests they are simply going to blend the paint within a limited area ( rather than properly painting the entire bumper )

I would expect a critical eye will be able to see the repair work, and who's to know what it will look like in a years or so time with some sinkage.
I would also expect a good PPI would pick up on the work too, the varying paint depth would surely raise a bit of a red flag.

As for the later damage, that just worsens the dilemma.

Sorry to sound negative as I really sympathise for your decision, as a prospective GT4 owner myself something like this would definitely taint the dream.

Maybe they will offer a generous discount and everyone will be happy.

Hope it all works out for you.
Andrew

OPC will have factored in the cost to prep the car to Posrche standards for sale.

On a GT4 some OPC are working on a margin of £10k on top of px price. That wedge leaves plenty of scope to sort it and still make a hefty profit and perhaps they might have some spare change to reinstate the coffee machines :roll:

You have seen this car in its raw state, normally it would not be offered up for sale until all the work is done and it is showroom ready. Had you seen it all sorted you wouldn't know any different. In this instance they've been up front and you know what's being done prior ro sale. It needs sorting in a Porsche approved paintshop and will be guaranteed.

Who said the parking sensors were wired into the PCM unit? It is not a simple plug and play and I suspect if the sensors were as naff as you describe they probably had an audible speaker mounted inside the car somewhere. That said OPC warranty is bulletproof when it comes to swapping out defective parts.

Maxthedane said:
........Now I've had a call saying they've reversed it into something so more remedial work on the bumper and a smashed rear light unit that requires replacement... you couldn't make it up!

With this, I'd now be insisting on a new rear bumper being fitted in order to go ahead. The only thing in the back of my mind would be the possibility of them taking the view of 'oh well, another buyer will be along soon enough" & turn you down, but having dealt with Lovetts for many years I believe that would've be their attitude.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fluellen
Back