Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Opinions on this car

Firstly thanks to all who have kindly offered to show me their car, unfortunately I am up in Yorkshire. I am down the road from the car that is for sale actually.
The advert does say there is no rust, but there certainly is. The interior is tatty as well, nothing badly damaged, just been well used I guess and not pampered. The car has been up for sale for many months which suggests it is priced too high.

Personally I think it's worth every penny even if it is a tad 'worn'. Worn can be sorted over time. Go in with a 10% reduction offer on what they want and use the saved money to clean it up.

I have read conflicting reports of the 996.1 engine and the need for a rebuild. It's had the IMS bearing replaced. I do love the colour and am not hung up on a C4S.

I have read conflicting reports of the 996.1 engine and the need for a rebuild. It's had the IMS bearing replaced. I do love the colour and am not hung up on a C4S.
They don’t tend to bore score, which is the most common cause of rebuild for 996.2s.

D-chunking risk is also largely overblown.

Of the two I’d be all over this one, if it doesn’t have to be a C4S. It’s a 996.1 so won’t need a rebuild either.
Me too - lovely looking car. It’s priced a tad high, so I’d expect it to be very much in order and plenty of maintenance been done in the last 3/4 years.

Bet the suspension is all original and shot at. Enough comments in the MOT history abut suspension but nothing about it in the advert.

Bet the suspension is all original and shot at. Enough comments in the MOT history abut suspension but nothing about it in the advert.
Worth asking the vendor - they do mention coffin arms and it’s had £25k spent apparently! But I agree - asking price very much dependent on how much of that spend is recent/relevant.

These cars can rust, not to put you off but to ensure that you get any car you're interested in properly

Certainly want to avoid rust, I had a Range Rover Classic where the harder you looked the worse it got.

I know of someone who has recently spent between 7k and 8K sorting out the underside of a rusty 996.

The rust is often quite difficult or impossible to spot without removing plastic covers and panels. I reckon there’s more than a few people driving about in their 996 happily oblivious to it.

...yep; especially any with fitted side skirts. So aero cars and C4s models, where these will be holding crud,water etc that can never be checked and therefore hiding rust!?
...it is my views these care will be the worst?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deonj
Back