Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

One headlight's stopped working

Kimbo

Paul Ricard
Greetings all,

Driver's side headlight just stopped working.
I've got HID's but only on the main beam setting.

Anything I could check please?

Ta, Kim

If both dipped and main beam have gone AWOL I'd be inclined to check the earth contacts for that headlight. :dont know:

I think the Left and Right headlights are separately fused too, so maybe simple as a blown fuse. I had this before IIRC.

Additionally sometimes popping the headlight out and putting it back in again helps especially if the contacts aren't great.

RobIpswichUK said:
Additionally sometimes popping the headlight out and putting it back in again helps especially if the contacts aren't great.
A little smear of liquid hand soap on the connector seals can work wonders (soap will dry quickly, and won't degrade the rubber) :thumb:

Are you sure you've got HID linked to your main (High) beam :dont know: Normally they are on dipped beam and if so your ballast may be shot :oops:

Assuming that you mean main beam HID & full beam standard, does the full beam not work either.
If the full beam works and having confirmed that the HID bulb is not at fault then it is most likely the ballast.
If both are not working then possibly the connection socket. As others have said you could try popping the headlight out, check the connections and pop it back in.

I'd go with the above popping of head Kim ..
I'd also have a quick lay mans look at the pins just in case one or two are corroded ..
Would the lecky heads on here recommend electrical contact spray into the connection?

ballcock said:
Would the lecky heads on here recommend electrical contact spray into the connection?
I'm not a lecky head but I'd certainly try that as it's worked for me in the past in similar circumstances. :)

I have a similar issue. But mine happens after a long drive, drivers side just stops. I wondered if it was overheating and just stopping?
Anouys me as I have popped the light out and all looks ok, makes me want to go back to normal lights.

I had a similar problem on the driver's side both with the main beam occasionally not working and the levelling servo not working. I was advised to try swapping the headlights over and manually plugging them in by removing the plug from the bracket and then just leaving the headlight hanging out slightly. Its a good quick way of diagnosing the problem. I also made a temporary extension with an old boat trailor lighting board cable and tested the leveliing servo with the headlight out of the car and everything worked fine. I then took the inner arch out so I could see exactly what was happening when the headlight was pushed home. On mine the plastic bracket that holds the socket tended to bend back slightly when it encountered the resistance of the plug trying to enter the socket meaning the pins were not going quite all the way in. I did three things which cured it. I put a tiny bit of silicon grease on the rubber part of the socket and also round the bit where it fits in the bracket so it could move freely and help with the self alignment as it goes in. I pressed a piece of folded rubber in between the bracket and its mounting on the wing side to stop it flexing quite so much and I painted some Maplins contact paint on to the pins on the headlight to improve the contact with the socket.
As has been said on here before it is also important to make sure none of the pins on the socket side have slid back in to the socket. They have a little barb type latch on them to stop them coming out like all plugs of this type but they can still move back if they have had too much pressure on them at some time due to the plug and socket not aligning properly when the headlight is pushed home.

Many thanks all :thumb:

I shall report back once (and if) it ever stops raining.

Kimbo said:
Many thanks all :thumb:

I shall report back once (and if) it ever stops raining.

Kim ,the power connector on my o/s light sometimes needs a little tap to get it to work ,those push fit connectors are not that great :nooo:

Push fit connector was the culprit.

You're right Tony, not great at all. I was looking for some sort of securing bracket but there's nothing there? Seems to be push-fit and hope it doesn't come out. (which mine did)

Thanks again for replies :thumb:

Zingari said:
Are you sure you've got HID linked to your main (High) beam :dont know: Normally they are on dipped beam and if so your ballast may be shot :oops:

You're right. My mistake.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsl997
Back