Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

On the verge...

masopa

I think I've found a pretty decent car. Not 100% perfect (in terms of spec), but it seems in better nick than I'd expect at this age:

1998 (Reg. January) 996 Carrera 2 @ £25,911
Manual Coupe, 66k, Metallic Arctic Silver, MOT to Jun 2007. Climate, Electric sunroof, FPSH. Cherished plate. 18" Turbo Alloys, Metropole Blue Full Leather (good condition - no sagging of the leather on the seats), Upgraded Sony CD, Nokia Phone Kit, Tracker

The full PSH has covered regular servicing, with a clutch at 50k (but no RMS): I should have at least another 15k out of that clutch I'd guess. Need to check last replacement dates for pads & disks and boots. Am going to phone the dealer who did the last four services to check whether anything was recommended and not carried out. Last couple of services have all been pretty light - £350 a pop.

It's a trade sale and I've been offered the OPC warranty for £500, so I'll be getting that. My only concern is I'll only be able to get the one - come next July it'll be beyond its 9 year anniversary so I'll be looking at a Hartech warranty or similar.

Am taking it out for a drive on Thursday lunchtime. Half of me is hoping it's wet so I can see how it handles in the rain, but the rest of me is hoping it's lovely clear skies and roads.

Was originally after a C4 Tip, but having taken another C2 manual out for a blast it seemed SOOOO planted and the gearbox is lovely. Not sure I'd be able to warrant the extra few £ unless the perfect machine came along now.

Anything I've missed? Anything else I need to check? Is the price fair for a trade sale? Reckon I should be able to knock him down a bit, but I'll never get it for private prices, obviously. I love the colour and interior is close behind my #1 choice (black). No PSM which is a real shame, but the condition is so good I'm willing to overlook - just have to drive with the windows open!

Thoughts????

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65327

Cheers Sundeep. Must admit, the fact it's 8 years old is the only concern I have. I wonder how much the price will take a hit after its 9th birthday??

Given most 996 owners probably don't read this (or similar) forums, I'm guessing a lot don't worry (or even know) about the OPC warranty. For these I guess the 9 year cutoff shouldn't matter. For the rest, it clearly will.

Not so worried about warranty expiring myself, since I'm happy to replace it with a Hartech one when it's 9 1/2. I've heard good things about those boys and their cover (includes servicing!)

Asked most of those questions you'd listed - just wondered if there was anything else. I don't think the car's a steal, but it seems in good nick and well looked after. In my book that's worth shelling out a grand or so over a badly treated version (which I wouldn't knowingly buy anyway).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65367

I was considering the Hartech package, also means you don't pay any labour on non covered jobs!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65381

Sounds nice! When I enquired 2 weeks ago with an OPC about the warrantee (on a March 98 car) I was told the warrantee would expire ON its 9th birthday (i.e. I would only have got 9 months worth). That seemed a bit odd, but I guess it won't hurt checking out the small print.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65393

Interesting. Have heard different tales on the actual length of the OPC warranty. Definitely have to check out the small print.

Just spoke to the OPC who last serviced the car and he claimed he couldn't tell me anything about the last service since I'm not the owner of the car. He said anything recommended and not carried out should be noted on the invoice though, so at least I can check there.

Also turns out the clutch was replaced March this year, so plenty of life left in her. I'm guessing pads and tyres are pretty much an annual replacement job anyway, so par for the course on that. Just leaves discs (c or k?) and RMS.

Looking forward to owning a 996 - if this turns out clean then may be able to close within a week! Very excited.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65394

Hmmm... having just seen the other thread here on depreciation and the £18k 996 I'm starting to get a bit more concerned!

Although surely only Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder would go for a Guards/Savannah combo? The former looks great on its own (esp. with GT3 kit) and Savannah can look ok in the right light, but both?!?!?!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65477

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by masopa on 05 July 2006
Hmmm... having just seen the other thread here on depreciation and the £18k 996 I'm starting to get a bit more concerned!

Although surely only Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder would go for a Guards/Savannah combo? The former looks great on its own (esp. with GT3 kit) and Savannah can look ok in the right light, but both?!?!?!

That is why you want a 993 :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65498

I knew someone would say that!

No, the reason I want a 996 is because I'm not a good enough driver to have a "proper" Porsche. (and I'm happy to admit that!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65501

Previous poster said:

Hmmm... having just seen the other thread here on depreciation and the £18k 996 I'm starting to get a bit more concerned!Although surely only Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder would go for a Guards/Savannah combo? The former looks great on its own (esp. with GT3 kit) and Savannah can look ok in the right light, but both?!?!?!
Maybe some Ferrari owner will buy it - it's their favourite combo. But it has knocked 4-5K off the price of the car. If you aren't that fussy and want a cheap 996, then it is a godsend! Plus for about £2K you could change most of the interior (seats, dash bit, steering wheel, centre bit) to black and have not a bad looking car!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65502

Previous poster said:
I knew someone would say that!

No, the reason I want a 996 is because I'm not a good enough driver to have a "proper" Porsche. (and I'm happy to admit that!)

Paul,

Don't believe all the codswallop spoken about how hard a 993 is to drive. It is a puusycat around town and has great grip on the A roads.

Try one before dimissing them. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65506

LOL!

Didn't think of that, SP. Isn't Savannah more of a diarrhoea brown though?? Anyway, even a 996 is too reliable for a Ferrari owner...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65508

Hmmmm... interesting update to this story:

Took her for a test drive today - glorious day up here in Edinburgh.

Started nicely - engine was cold before and no rattles or clunks. Generally in very good nick - spent about 10 mins looking over the exterior checking for scratches and chips. Three small chips in total (pretty good for an 8 year old car!) an two faint (lacquer-deep) scratches on the sides. Wheels in good order too.

Inside things are pretty decent - leather is still pretty tight, a few scuff marks on the "kidney" parts of the seats but nothing a bit of leather care wouldn't sort out.

Biggest problem inside is the central armrest thing has a broken hinge. I see this is a reasonably common problem, but not easy to fix - will definitely want this sorted.

However, the worst problem occurred out at Roslin. Parked up and swapped over drivers only to find she didn't start again!

Me and my mate (who hitched a lift in the back) had to bump-start her, much to the embarassment of the guy who was giving me a test drive.

Two things spring to mind: it seems to be a generally very well looked after car - all service invoices and all receipts, all MOTs and pretty much all docs you could ask for. BUT: if the motor trader cannot be bothered to replace a clearly dodgy battery what else can't he be bothered to do? Maybe it's an alternator, maybe something else. I'll have it looked at by an indy but just a bit concerned whether the car is REALLY in as good condition as it seems...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65663

Dodgy batteries are well known in the motor trade, a car 8 years old been standing for a while waiting to sell, battery gives up, common problem, not to much to worry about

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65664

Cheers Daz. Seems strange he waited for it to fail though before changing it...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 65680

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeff dussault
Back