Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Type for 997.1 turbo?

kench

I think i bought the wrong type of oil for topping up my 911.

Is there a difference between the two types?

Attachments

• product_120x150_mobil_1_new_life_0w40_eame_136.jpg
    product_120x150_mobil_1_new_life_0w40_eame_136.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 4,045
  • product_120x150_mobil_1_esp_0w40_eame_374.jpg
    product_120x150_mobil_1_esp_0w40_eame_374.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 4,045
Won't make any difference at all.

As long as they both have the A40 approval everything is fine.

I think I will send it in for an oil change when i send it in to get assessed for OPC warranty.

Not even needed, for top ups pretty much anything will do. You could chuck some crappy old mineral oil in without any noticeable difference, not that I'd recommend that of course!

Ekona said:
Not even needed, for top ups pretty much anything will do. You could chuck some crappy old mineral oil in without any noticeable difference, not that I'd recommend that of course!

I wouldn't put some crappy old mineral oil in even if it was 50ml! :eek:

Do you know how hot these VTGs run at?

Can't be significantly hotter than a standard turbo setup on other cars, can it? I'm guessing around 900c tops.

If the choice was between running a litre below the minimum level or putting a litre of mineral oil in, I'd pick the latter. Yes, the differences in oil can be massive, but anything is better than running dry.

Ekona said:
Can't be significantly hotter than a standard turbo setup on other cars, can it?

Yes, significantly hotter. Why do you think it's only Porsche who have VTGs on a petrol engine?

Ekona said:
If the choice was between running a litre below the minimum level or putting a litre of mineral oil in, I'd pick the latter. Yes, the differences in oil can be massive, but anything is better than running dry.

A litre below the minimum mark? Who in their right mind would allow that?

Martian said:
A litre below the minimum mark? Who in their right mind would allow that?
The kind of person who would put mineral oil in their engine in an emergency ;)

How hot do they run then?

To be honest, for the 1/10th dilution, the fact kench bought a good brand, the right grade and crucially, fully synthetic, I wouldn't worry

(just don't do it again :grin:)

But I kind of see Ekona's point ... if we were running on a dessert island, but this is Aberdeen, home of the UK oil industry!

Cheers gents for the advice.

GT4 said:
To be honest, for the 1/10th dilution, the fact kench bought a good brand, the right grade and crucially, fully synthetic, I wouldn't worry

(just don't do it again :grin:)

Yeah, will buy the same oil next time, instead of this ESP variant.

GT4 said:
But I kind of see Ekona's point ... if we were running on a dessert island, but this is Aberdeen, home of the UK oil industry!

Ironically, Aberdeen fuel prices are high, although it is a hub for oil and gas, there is actually no refineries here. Closest one is in Edinburgh.

Also, all the shops charge rip off prices as they know they can get away with it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MainA
Back