Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Question

JamesM

Hockenheim
Hi Guys,

Just about to stock up on some Mobil One, and noticed that there are some different types, so some advice on the best one would be good:

Standard Mobil 1 0W-40

or

Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W-50 (Apparantly this is for "high performance competition engines"

Comments???

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10916

I'd be inclined to stick with the standard, given the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' rule ! I imagine the Motorsport stuff will be suitably more expensive too !

Jamie

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10918

Last thing I read about this (on Rennlist I think - quite a well-informed article) suggested that standard Mobil One has a lower temperature range (hence the 0W) but that it goes down to -40 degrees C, while 15W protects down to about -15 degrees C. But since the Motorsport stuff costs more, why bother?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10919

It is? Oh well, back to the drawing board with that argument!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10924

Go for the Motorsport - less likely to leak and will probably consume less too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10928

I was recommended to use Mobil 1 motorsport rather than standard in my Integrale Evo 2, something to do with the extra viscosity when cold meant that the engine components were more coated in oil at start up, Apparently important in a complex engine with relatively poor manufacturing tolerence! Probably not relevant here.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10929

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Nathan on 20 November 2003

Go for the Motorsport - less likely to leak and will probably consume less too.
Done!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10930

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back