Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil pressure needle bouncing

Fokker

Oil pressure needle bouncing slightly between 2.5 and 3 at idle - does this mean that the transmitter is on its way out?

My local indie reckons this is the reason and so advises me to change it before my European trip end of this week. It was stuck way up at 4 at idle recently for a bit but now seems to be back down and fluctuating again.

Car is fine, no smoke, pressure is fine going up to 5 at anything over 3k revs and its done about 1000 miles like this.

Dave

I'm quite interested in how this will be answered too, my car does exactly the same, never sticks though, just turned 57K and fresh from an OPC service, they didn't mention it, which I took as meaning it was ok, as they mentioned plenty of other things, including a sticking ashtray cover! Must be lack of use, as I don't smoke.

From what i have been told, once flickering they may then fail making you think that you have no oil pressure and hence you're pulled over at the side of the road thinking your world has just ended!

Slightly dramatic but you get the gist!

Dave

.....either the oil pressure switch needs changed or the terminals going onto it need cleaned/checked.

A not uncommon issue.

classic symptoms, common issue, its the sender unit, simply replace. DIY or get indi to do it, less than hours work.

bobsan said:
classic symptoms, common issue, its the sender unit, simply replace. DIY or get indi to do it, less than hours work.

+1

Bit of an awkward one to get to and a thin crow foot spanner is really the only way to get it undone, there's a lot of pipe work that inhibits access to it and the chassis rail is too close to use a normal spanner.

Mine, under load is constant, no movement, but at idle, flicks about. :dont know:

My oil pressure needle keeps failing, i think i need to replace it. It fails for a few seconds then pops back into life. Not very reassuring.

Remote said:
My oil pressure needle keeps failing, i think i need to replace it. It fails for a few seconds then pops back into life. Not very reassuring.

I had this - it's the sender. Changed it - then the new one got the shakes. But the shakes is definitely better than the droop.

Remote said:

I had this - it's the sender. Changed it - then the new one got the shakes. But the shakes is definitely better than the droop.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blueteddybear
Back