Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil consumption

Chuckmiester

Well-known member
Joined
6 Dec 2012
Messages
117
I have a c4s manual with 61k on it, I have done around 1500 miles since it was serviced and the electronic oil gauge is now reading about half, is this normal? Thanks guys.
 
What's on the dipstick and pressure gauge when cold? Mine always shows full bars on start up...

Dave
 
Why is dip stick a naughty word? :dont know:
 
smigga said:
Why is dip stick a naughty word? :dont know:

:floor:

Mine 5 bar and about 2 when fully warm
 
Chuckmiester said:
I have a c4s manual with 61k on it, I have done around 1500 miles since it was serviced and the electronic oil gauge is now reading about half, is this normal? Thanks guys.

Yep, perfectly normal.

Lots of people will claim that their cars don't use that much but every specialist I've ever spoken to say that 1 litre every 600-1000 miles is not uncommon.

Mine was consuming about the same as yours but since changing to 5w/40 it has reduced.
 
Mine has only done about 1000 miles since service last sept but it has shown no sign of consumption... :dont know:

Dave
 
T8996C4 said:
Chuckmiester said:
I have a c4s manual with 61k on it, I have done around 1500 miles since it was serviced and the electronic oil gauge is now reading about half, is this normal? Thanks guys.

Yep, perfectly normal.

Lots of people will claim that their cars don't use that much but every specialist I've ever spoken to say that 1 litre every 600-1000 miles is not uncommon.

Mine was consuming about the same as yours but since changing to 5w/40 it has reduced.

I never had cause to top-up between servicing in my 996 (and contrary to common belief, that was more than 1,000 miles)

However, Porsche consider consumption of greater than 1.5l / 1,000 miles (1L / 1,000 km) in normal use an indication of inspection.

I suspect that the hotter running and higher bore side forces of the 3.6 may contribute to a higher average oil consumption in that engine (compared to 3.4 usage).
 
smigga said:
What's on the ***** and pressure gauge when cold? Mine always shows full bars on start up...

Dave
i have good oil pressure, around 4.5 to 5 bar when warm. Maybe worth a call to specialist cars Malton were I bought it from, it's still under there warantee.
 
He means oil LEVEL gauge (when cold):

#11
1149614.1109.jpg
 
GT4 said:
He means oil LEVEL gauge (when cold):

#11
1149614.1109.jpg
The oil level gague is showing around half when cold. it was showing full when it had just been serviced.
 
Chuckmiester said:
The oil level gague is showing around half when cold. it was showing full when it had just been serviced.

Make sure it is full at operating temp.

The gauge only shows (measures) with the engine off, but ignition turned on.

The measurement MUST be done at op temp though.

It is best if you go for a drive long enough to get to full op temp.

This means at least 10-15 min AFTER water temp hits 90degC (needle straight up, between 8 and 0) and oil pressure down to 2 bar or less at idle.

Then park up somewhere flat (both left to right and front/rear), turn off engine for 1-2 mins (allows oil to return to sump).

Then turn on ignition and watch gauge (also check dip stick if indicated under full) - DO NOT CRANK ENGINE

If required, fill with 100-200ml of oil at a time, allowing a minute or two for oil level to register. Turn ignition back on again to check new level (also check dip stick if indicated under full)

Repeat until the dip stick says full (ideally) or all bars (except the very top "over bar") are lit, whichever is the sooner.

DO NOT OVERFILL

You can get away with a little amount (say 100ml) and it will either be within the margin of error or be burnt off quickly and harmlessly, any more can cause either mechnical problems or so much oil is burnt that you endanger the cats.
 
Because hot things expand.

And the engine (or its designer) don't really care what it does when cold (within reason), or for its Easter break, they care how the engine operates at its operating temp (its predominant in-use state) .

A bit like trying on pants, works brilliantly standing up, but if you spend all day sitting down, well then you need pants that work under those conditions (primarily).

On a serious note though, the engine has many laws of physics based reasons it reaches a certain temperature in use, and they are even more constrained by active features built into the car (cooling fans and thermostats etc), so Porsche and the DME has a very good idea of its parameters at operating temp (and indeed what in general that operating temp is), it has no idea from Summer to Winter or Bombay to Anchorage what you ambient temperature is.
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,056
Messages
1,436,766
Members
48,452
Latest member
mkivalex
Back
Top