Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OEM Porsche Battery

Steve997

Spa-Francorchamps
Looks like I may need a new battery. I need to keep it OEM due to extended warranty.

Local OPC wanted £300 for the battery and another £100 to fit.

I know the Batteries are made by Banner and Design911 sell them, but do they come with all Porsche Branding and correct Porsche part numbers etc...?

Alternatively anywhere else to buy a OEM Porsche battery other than the local OPC Stealers :D

At one time
If your car had a flat battery, was under Porsche warranty and you used Porsche assist, they would collect the car transporter to Porsche fit the battery free of charge, but charge you just for the battery
Otherwise if it's a 991 , buy a banner battery and hope they don't spot the lack of Porsche badge,
Remember you can now renew a warranty without a 111 point inspection, over the phone

Or better still, peel the badges off the original battery and stick them on the replacement Banner :grin: After all it's the same battery.

I suspect we'll be getting into whether or not a new battery needs 'coding' to the car soon :what:

Zingari said:
I suspect we'll be getting into whether or not a new battery needs 'coding' to the car soon :what:

Unfortunately from 991 it does .. sigh .. it makes a difference if not done over a period of time as well .. another sigh .. strange times indeed .

Batteries are i'm afraid a bit of a hot point on a 111 point check .... something that is checked carefully ... i failed many over the years much to the frustration of management who thought it was stupid ... even had a service manager put a photocopy of a porsche battery on top of the Bosch one fitted !!

Trouble is if i had passed a non Porsche battery then i would have been the one liable for costs incurred ... well .. i would have been the scapegoat anyways .

This could potentially be porsche refuse to honour the warranty and it would be left to the dealer to cover the car,s warranty issues .

Can't say much but i've seen it happen with something on an inspection .

My feeling .. your going to have to go OPC .

It might affect a 111 check but shouldn't affect the warranty unless the OPC can pin the blame for a claim on the battery. Sorry sir, yes your engine has blown up, but we can't do anything to help as you don't have a Porsche battery. Very likely!!

I posted this a while back... I jumped through a few hoops to buy the warranty and had to sign to agree to the terms and conditions..

I refer you to the snippets previously posted :-

two lines of text from the paperwork to be signed by the policy holder :-

My Porsche is as per it`s delivery specification or has only been modified in line with the manufacturers recommendations. YES/NO

I understand that I am committing to having my Porsche maintained and repaired at a Porsche Centre or Authorised Service/Repair centre for the duration of the Warranty Policy. YES/NO

I guess it may be down to the individual to employ their own risk management strategy if and when they decide to break with the terms and conditions of that which they may have signed up to.. ?

Now while the wipers seem very unlikely to have played any part of the imagined blown engine issue, in the matter of application of law I leave you to contemplate likely outcomes..

I sincerely apologise for appearing to be a tad pedantic, but I do tend to plan for the worst while hoping for the best..

Conspiracy theory inbound - cognoscenti will advise.....

But when you look at the 'cheap' D911 Banner batteries there are some mystical greying out of the bits where the Porsche logo would/might/should have been :?:

I'll probably keep grumbling about the difference between Genuine and the Exact Same Part :grin:

Would it not be easier to fit a new battery and keep the old one on a trickle then re fit when having any warrenty work done?

Just saying......

martin t said:
Would it not be easier to fit a new battery and keep the old one on a trickle then re fit when having any warrenty work done?

Just saying......

I had considered this but potential problem arises (if there is one) if you had to be towed to the dealers :?:

Steve997 said:
....... Local OPC wanted £300 for the battery and another £100 to fit ..........

£400 :eek: Have they gone up that much in 2 years? !

I paid £275.64 in September 2019.

Luddite said:
I posted this a while back... I jumped through a few hoops to buy the warranty and had to sign to agree to the terms and conditions..

My Porsche is as per it`s delivery specification or has only been modified in line with the manufacturers recommendations. YES/NO

I understand that I am committing to having my Porsche maintained and repaired at a Porsche Centre or Authorised Service/Repair centre for the duration of the Warranty Policy. YES/NO

I guess it may be down to the individual to employ their own risk management strategy if and when they decide to break with the terms and conditions of that which they may have signed up to.. ?

Now while the wipers seem very unlikely to have played any part of the imagined blown engine issue, in the matter of application of law I leave you to contemplate likely outcomes..

I sincerely apologise for appearing to be a tad pedantic, but I do tend to plan for the worst while hoping for the best..

Playing devil's advocate the 1st sentence is only relative at the time you sign it. In theory you could fit a none OEM battery after signing the document and still actually legally comply with it, as there is no caveat about future installations.

Also if you buy a Banner battery from D911 to the correct specification, then I would find it hard to throw out a claim. I can just see a judge saying "so Mr Porsche you won't repair the gearbox as the owner installed the exact same battery specification, made by your chosen battery supplier to his car, but it simply had a different part number for a 100% identical component that has no influence on the gearbox and your refusing his claim, please explain on what grounds?"

That said like many others I feel, I would probably pefer to comply to avoid any future hassle, but Porsche have a pretty weak legal argument in many cases and people not challenging it allows them to get away with it.

Steve997 said:
Luddite said:

Playing devil's advocate the 1st sentence is only relative at the time you sign it. In theory you could fit a none OEM battery after signing the document and still actually legally comply with it, as there is no caveat about future installations.

Also if you buy a Banner battery from D911 to the correct specification, then I would find it hard to throw out a claim. I can just see a judge saying "so Mr Porsche you won't repair the gearbox as the owner installed the exact same battery specification, made by your chosen battery supplier to his car, but it simply had a different part number for a 100% identical component that has no influence on the gearbox and your refusing his claim, please explain on what grounds?"

That said like many others I feel, I would probably pefer to comply to avoid any future hassle, but Porsche have a pretty weak legal argument in many cases and people not challenging it allows them to get away with it.

Pretty much in line with any warranty, fitting a part of identical specification is not a modification.

That doesn't limit you to using an OPC, you can use an 'authorised facility' and that isn't defined. Unless the fault can be attributed to faulty or incorrect repair or service then the warranty isn't affected. I have had warranty work carried out on three occasions and no one bothered to check the battery, wipers, discs or pads. They simply got on with the job.

Question for DeMort - Does the 981 GT4 require a battery to be 'coded' given it does not have stop/start technology and I've got a photocopier handy?

I can understand the hoops of the warranty but picture this. Your OEM battery fails in some remote area of the country. You can't wait days for Porsche to supply a battery so you're forced to get one locally where even Halfraud prices would seem a bargain! It gets you up and running and you forget about it.

I can't see Porsche insisting you need to change a new as spec battery on a scheduled service visit (where from expeience the battery gets a good test/inspection :roll: ) with the exception of a warranty renewal. But as the 111-point inspection has gone unless they interrogate a previous service visit where it could have been recorded they wouldn't know :dont know: That's why I suspect those two sentences have been included in the renewal paperwork.

@ Zingari

If a car doesn't have stop start then logically it won't need to be coded on .. But .. the car will still have battery management .. this basically charges a car based on the battery age , condition .. the resistance .. the engine load etc ..

If the car thinks the battery is old when a new one has been fitted it will try to charge the battery at a higher lvl .. kinda like forcing water into a full bucket when normally you would reduce the water flow to slow down and make sure it doesn't overflow ..

In the context of a battery that's an over charge .. that causes gassing and will damage a battery over time ...

In the case of stop start which needs a battery at 80% or higher then it often wont work .

There isn't a MAJOR issue if a battery is not coded on .. more to do with long life and things like stop start ...Hence any battery Can be fitted which doesn't have to be Porsche but coding and you tell the car the size of the battery .. non Porsche can be coded on .

In short ... it will more than likely need to be coded on if replaced , 981/991 onwards and they need to be coded basically .

Porsche warranty .. ok so i've been out of the network for a few years now but i doubt it has changed that much ..

Porsche operate a blanket rule .. NO NON Porsche items fitted to a car in warranty .. they certainly won't replace a battery thats a Bosch under a warranty ..

In your scenario .. a Non Porsche item has been fitted .. that may or may not cause an issue with the car so technically any claim and that item would be taken into account ..

I know with a battery it's unlikely to have an effect on Anything but it comes under the blanket rule .. it Must be taken into consideration ..

If your engine went bang .. it's going to be covered .. if your alternator died then possibly not .. the battery has an effect on the alternator you see .

To be honest i could write pages on Porsche warranty and yes i can see it from both camps as i've worked OPC and Indy .. i was previously a warranty admin for another dealership as well a long time back .

Some parts of Porsche i agree with .. some i don't .. but a black and white rule makes sense .. either porsche made it or they didn't and won't cover it or any related damage that might have been caused by it .. that also goes for non porsche People working on a car under warranty ... OPC techs only ...Ex OPC and not allowed .

To answer a seperate post here ..

I'm not aware of Any part that porsche actually makes .. maybe body panels ? i'm not sure .. the majority at least is companies they employ on a contractual basis to make items for them ..

hence items from the same company coming up for sale minus the part number .. porsche are pretty strict with this though and i have seen their manufacturers over the years suddenly stop selling items with the porsche part number ground off .. this is because Porsche has " leant on them shall we say " .

Batteries are no exception .

My 2 pennys anyways and total guess work on my behalf :?:

Edit .. Porsche don't care how long you wait for a part or where you are .. it has to be Porsche in the warranty context .

Steve997 said:
martin t said:

Just saying......

I had considered this but potential problem arises (if there is one) if you had to be towed to the dealers :?:

Just do this. What's the worst than can happen....

The ext warranty stuff is a nonsense.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NBavers
Back