Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nostalgia

IMI A

Paul Ricard
996/997 vintage of cars is they deliver 70% of the air cooled driving thrills without the extra maintenance the air cooled need as they get older. hence why I keep mine - its good vintage. For fun you can't beat an air cooled. Even a rusty old SC is more fun than the modern stuff. Seeing Zingari post I was quite taken by his 964. I'd never swap Zingari's old jubilee 964 for a new GT4. No way. I've not found the right air cooled for me thus far. Loved all of them though especially the yellow special. I've never had an M car although driven an old E30 M3. Never rated it TBH as I had a 944 turbo s at the time which blows an m3s doors off. This M3 keeps whispering to me but its £75k. At £65k I'd be tempted although I still can't help thinking of it as a £15k old banger. Looks cheap next to a new GT4 though man maths starting to take charge.

Attachments

• img_0586_171.jpeg
    img_0586_171.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2,994
  • 993_rs_dfd_3_1_762x414_135.jpg
    993_rs_dfd_3_1_762x414_135.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2,994
  • fd29794e_5535_42b5_ae71_f51ed02cca7f_113_558.jpeg
    fd29794e_5535_42b5_ae71_f51ed02cca7f_113_558.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,994
IMI A, I have no idea if you read any of my rambling when I typed of the time I had the opportunity as the owner of a 911 SC to drive the new to market 993, and which I thought was a wonderful machine, BUT in order to fit the ever evolving market expectations, Porsches latest had become a tad too comfortable and thus somewhat insular to drive, and with more performance available even in the lower gears than could be enjoyed reasonably responsibly on the road. Compared to even my C4S, the 993 would today likely exude what may be thought of by younger folk as a vintage Porsche driving experience... Jonttt...?

Bottom line, back then my SC in demanding more driver input was more fun to drive for the majority of the time, in that it required more driver input, thus having experienced where things seemed to be heading at that time I went off in search of even an even more involving driving experience than my SC and eventually found it in the form of my old 3.5 V8 crate.. Now some 20 yrs later it is verging on being a tad too RAW for the old man I have become and more so in colder damp weather.

I do enjoy others sharing their automotive experiences, and it is ever of interest to me to note the personal datums they might care to set when specifying their Porsche related ideals, such as when you typed these words IMI A "The fun is in the gear change in driving. You almost remove half the driving experience by going PDK IMO. "

There was no PDK when the 993 was launched, yet I felt at the time market trends were taking the driving experience to a more automated place that I was not quite ready to go to at circa 50 years old, Today..? Jeez the rate of change in on board systems of all types and driver expectations has been exponential..... I suspect a reasonable plan might be to enjoy that which we can while we can.. :eek:ld: :?:

I think cars from that era are just completely different. Real 911s I suppose. I can fully understand why you as an SC owner felt the 993 was too much in 1993/4. Owners felt the same about 964 too. I came late to party still at Uni when 964//993 released! Lucky enough to have owned and adored air cooled cars with and without PAS/ABS. Friends pic in my old Carrera so cool. She's flying and so pure. Amazing how modern a 2.7 RS feels to me and RS 50 years old! (almost) 8)

Attachments

• img_3465_220.jpg
    img_3465_220.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,910
  • thumb_fvnpypv03heyviaqz3r3kuu0m8knaurn4nqpzlfl1oaampb0nhmpljll8zryw39wj42dtiuojpnwv5ojbuf898_1...jpg
    thumb_fvnpypv03heyviaqz3r3kuu0m8knaurn4nqpzlfl1oaampb0nhmpljll8zryw39wj42dtiuojpnwv5ojbuf898_1...jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 2,910
  • fullsizeoutput_680_117.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_680_117.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 2,910
It would seem that you have been most fortunate to be able to enjoy a selection of air cooled Porsches IMI A, which would suggest to me that you may hold an appreciation of old tec such as I picked up from your earlier post when you mentioned favouring manual as opposed to PDK... :thumb:

I guess there is no point in trying to hold back evolution or even grumbling about it. Fortunately I suspect there will ever be those who may enjoy spending time driving older tec Porsches, which by their very nature demand a more physical interaction with them.

I guess much depends on how far back into automotive history one cares to venture in search of a bit of a driving challenge, while others seem on some sort of race towards ever more digital decision making in their machinery..? Perhaps if a generation of Porsche owners grew up driving play stations for fun, and might be desirous of ALL the comforts of the armchair and home around them while "driving," in the metaverse, may seem the next obvious stage in their development after an electric Porsche...

Yeah all a bit too futuristic for sure, BUT, having watched the penultimate round of the F1 season being run under floodlights on a track devoid of any elements of nature, with not even a hill to add interest, I guess that non-event seemed to me more like a computer game than anything I might think of as engaging as watching F1 on historic race tracks...Seems to me that there is a possibility we may be fast heading towards acceptance of some form of existence in the metaverse... :?:

Jeez even I have arrived at a stage where I accept a high degree of Porsche technological advance by way of digital control in numerous aspects of the driving experience found in my 991...! My excuse is that those advances may be making up for a degree of retreat in my physical abilities, thus extending my ability to enjoy driving a Porsche for a while longer... (-: On the other hand should I feel the need to crunch a few gears to put my physical and mental driving abilities through a bit more of a test, I am fortunate to have in a corner of the garage, my old fuel burning occasionally noisy, popping und banging 3.5 litre V8 crate of vintage design to jump into and head off out to blow the cobwebs off and assist in re-calibrating my datums, lest I become too cosseted in modernity... What`s more to ask.. :) :?:

Of course some folk will always take things even further than I :floor:

https://youtu.be/eToHTf-QUBA

Just thought to add a pic of my old crate parked up at a hotel we stayed at in Sorrento, a few years back on a trip which was a bit of an adventure. :)

Attachments

• early_morning_amalfi__770.jpg
    early_morning_amalfi__770.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 2,772
Ha I'm very much from playstation gen. I've often described my 997 turbo as playstation. Only way I can tame 500PS + in relative safety and better on long journeys than an air-cooled so perfect for me. The driver aids in 997 give me so much confidence down a give and take road. Its astonishingly quick with crazy levels of grip in all weathers. Maybe I'll switch to PDK / auto one day but then the car is literally doing almost everything for me other than steering! The purity of the early cars though is really something only drivers who appreciate the art of driving can relate to. Air-cooled genuinely make you a better driver which is why I like them. Cool too 8)

Attachments

• image006_955.jpg
    image006_955.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 2,719
Nice pic of the black 911, thanks for posting, it reminds me of my black 77 911.

I suspect relativity may be the key to that which we care to set as personal datums, and as I suggested earlier much will depend upon the era in which we became enthused with Porsche culture or whatever else..?

As I "matured" I found I had an increasing interest in older vehicles as ever advancing technology bringing with it comfort and safety ever seemed to reduce driver involvement. In late Autumn some 25 years back I caught up with and followed a vintage LM open top Bentley being very enthusiastically driven on the twisting and deserted road that runs down the North side of Loch Tay while riding my BMW R850R... t`was not too many miles covered together before I began thinking.. I want some of that..! The pilot being exposed to the elements and thus also to my view, could be seen to be making subtle corrections as it hopped and skipped over the undulations, and while straight-lining the more open bends.. LM styled Vintage Bentleys are rather expensive, so I settled for something that more suited my budgetary requirements at the time.

Again relativity plays a part as I was not born into double declutching Bowden cable brakes on cars and all the other peculiarities if not demands of true vintage vehicles, and as for cost, those with performance enough to maintain pace in modern traffic, and to behave reasonably well without spitting oil out or overheating in towns....???

Yeah well with help I found the old crate which seemed to have potential, and being carb fed without all the fuel injection kit also worked well for me, and it can skip and hop like the best of them given it`s rudimentary suspension up front and it`s cart springs at the rear... Test enough of one`s driving skills if one is in a mood to press on... Horse power, if it has 150 on a good day that is more than enough given while seated a driver or passenger can touch the road surface, no buttons need pressing to hear it ROAR, just a dab on the throttle is more than enough, though it can also whisper along through towns and villages..Driving down to the Amalfi in the hottest June on record at the time with Italians fainting in the streets was an undoubted adventure, but it kept it`s cool, which is more than I and my good lady did with a hot gearbox on one thigh and the heat of the exhaust on the other, it was indeed HOT when traffic came to a halt.. Not quite The Beast of Turin, but it felt not far off it on that trip.

Feeling very fortunate to currently be the custodian of two fine machines both of which are a joy to look at and so very different in the challenges and pleasures they can present when out on the road. Whoever said "variety is the spice of life," knew what he was talking about..?

Interesting morning yesterday, my good lady decided that as there was no salt on the roads and the weather dry, would be an ideal day for her to try the 991 on for size... We did circa 60 miles on a mix of mostly quiet country roads and a few miles of town driving, enough to say that she has decided that if I pop my clogs she might sell her 4x4 and just keep the Porsche... :eek: :floor:

Attachments

• c4s_8_142.jpg
    c4s_8_142.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 2,607
^^^^ Super combination. Joy of driving :thumbs:

Few more pics of my nostalgia.

Attachments

• image005_148.jpg
    image005_148.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 2,591
  • image008_177.jpg
    image008_177.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 2,591
  • img_0263_143.jpg
    img_0263_143.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,591
  • 993_rs_dfd_3_1_762x414_629.jpg
    993_rs_dfd_3_1_762x414_629.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2,591
That E30 M looks lovely in silver. They're are a great steer by modern standards but I'd find it lacking in poke. Definitely under powered to truly entertain. While they evoke the '90's DTM they're a ways off in reality.

I think we all have our personal apex of the sweet spot of car development over the last 30 years or so. I'm firmly in the 996/7 camp on that. Earlier Porsche I have driven always disappointed me with the exception of a very exacting GT2 homage of the 993 variety. Later Porsche , well, while extremely capable either have many of their former varieties edges rounded off and/or are so fast you'll never get near the edge of their performance envelope until you are seriously contemplating flat through Radillion..At which point I'd still much rather be in a 996/7 GT of some sort.

IMI did you also have a Black 996 Turbo Cab back in the days?

Other half had a white 7 C4S cab and now 991 turbo s cab. I had two 986 Boxster S through 2000 - 2007 which i covered 200-300k miles in with other half and then a 997 turbo in 2007 which i still run today and have also covered 100k miles in. Few more pics. Miss open top motoring.

Attachments

• img_0292_158.jpeg
    img_0292_158.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 2,470
  • img_3704_125.jpg
    img_3704_125.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,470
  • fullsizeoutput_bfa_182.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_bfa_182.jpeg
    841.5 KB · Views: 2,470
Senoj said:
That E30 M looks lovely in silver. They're are a great steer by modern standards but I'd find it lacking in poke. Definitely under powered to truly entertain. While they evoke the '90's DTM they're a ways off in reality.

I think we all have our personal apex of the sweet spot of car development over the last 30 years or so. I'm firmly in the 996/7 camp on that. Earlier Porsche I have driven always disappointed me with the exception of a very exacting GT2 homage of the 993 variety. Later Porsche , well, while extremely capable either have many of their former varieties edges rounded off and/or are so fast you'll never get near the edge of their performance envelope until you are seriously contemplating flat through Radillion..At which point I'd still much rather be in a 996/7 GT of some sort.

I felt exactly the same with E30 M3 but today I look at that particular one and just want. There are engine builders out there like Redux who can give an old E30 an honest 300bhp. Makes a big difference as I found out with my own 993 which had been breathed on by 9m/ Heritage Autowerks. Even when pottering around playful noisy character of 9m 330bhp 3.8 which dominated experience made me smile.

Cant get my head round price of that E30 M3 today but compared to something like a new GT4 RS or Alpine which I love too still look not too bad. The newer cars from 996 all a bit plastic. Sit in an E30 or 964 C2 different an so well built.

My first true love Hyde Park 1977 I remember the moment aged 7 like I'd just seen a UFO :D

Attachments

• unadjustednonraw_thumb_15d2_173.jpg
    unadjustednonraw_thumb_15d2_173.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 2,444
Seems you have enjoyed quite an impressive line up of cars IMI A, thanks for sharing. I hope they have brought you as much pleasure as have mine over the years.. :thumb:

On the nostalgia front, I could find room to squeeze either of the two 911`s I have owned in years past into my garage today.. :)

I still have the original engine lid from my red SC hanging on the garage wall. At the time I sold the SC I fitted a whale tail and front skirt from the Sport version thinking it might sell easier. Sold it for £11K if I remember correctly.

In the last 3 years or so on thinking to return to Porsche ownership my initial plan was to sell my old crate to finance my Porsche acquisition, but just never quite got round to doing so, perhaps not my most sensible financial move but the old crate is just a little bit special compared to most modern machines and in so many ways that those with a narrower, self restricted perspective seem unlikely to be open to the many and varied pleasures of enjoying all sorts of roads in a variety of machinery that can create lasting memories.. :?:

Typing of nostalgia will try to post copies of a old pics I took of my 77 black 911 ...and a later pic of the 82 SC taken around the time I sold it

Attachments

• dscn2475_128.jpg
    dscn2475_128.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 2,434
  • red_82_911_sc_204.jpg
    red_82_911_sc_204.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 2,434
1987........ when all my mates were running around in hot hatches.

924ampRobinpics001.jpg

Cool shades and interesting 924 T8, but where is the up to date comparison pic.. :?:

Luddite said:
Cool shades and interesting 924 T8, but where is the up to date comparison pic.. :?:

I was thinking more on the lines of shades of grey.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Outrigger
Back