Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Northerner's 996.2 GT3

Northerner

Trainee
So i've only gone and bought a GT3 :mrgreen:

The car has a bit of a history which has been well debated on the forums and has got a few goodies already fitted (Front Alcons, RS29's, Cup 2's, Ohlins R&T, cup diff plates, cup steering wheel, etc.) also a few issues that will need to be sorted along the way.

It appears to be suffering with a few electrical gremlins, like the fuel gauge only showing half full when tank has been filled to the top, an oil pressure sensor showing 2 bar when the engine is switched off and what sounds like only one speaker working on the radio. Has anyone come across these types of issue before. Any ideas on what could be causing these issues before I start hacking around?

Anyway, here are a couple of pics of the car:

20210522-175415.jpg

One of where the car has come off 2nd best with a speed bump :sad:

2021-05-23-15-29-15.jpg

Off to Donington tomorrow with 8yr old Cup2's fitted and a sketchy weather forecast. :bonk:

Managed to get the chin spoiler refitted but cant seem to adjust the front Ohlins R+T (the adjuster on the bottom of the shock body, wouldnt move) and couldn't find the adjuster for the rears :? Answers on a postcard please.

So part way through my 3rd lap at Donington, I am greeted with this error:

2021-05-24-09-58-42.jpg

A hail mary call was placed to Cavendish Porsche who are only 15mins away. To their credit, they managed to squeeze me in and sort the car with a new alternator. By the time I got back to Donington, the track was wet from the rain which continued intermittently. The old cup2's were struggling to get heat in when the track was green in the morning so I packed up and came home in a bad mood.

Adjuster for the rear is on the top of the shock in the rear compartment. If you don't have remotes fitted then the knob is under the carpet and a complete ball ache to get at.

Fronts sound seized, they sit there in the road grime, may need some squirt and a wiggle with some pliers or something. :thumb:

Bad luck on the alternator. Now you know you won't need one for a while. :lol:

Good luck with it Steve. As discussed it's a bit rough around the edges but under it all is a straight car and that's always the important bit.

Funnily enough my car had had minimal use in the year or two before I bought it and as soon as I started using it it also needed a new alternator.

I look forward to watching you bring the old girl back up to scratch. :thumb:

Had a bit of time before work today so decided to have a look at why the car was handling poorly at Donington.

Managed to find the rear adjusters after lifting up one of the carpets and found that they had been set to full soft. Cleaned and freed up the front adjusters to find that they had been set to full hard. Might to change the ARB links as the thread & nut to the ARB are rusted solid and will need cutting off.

Also the front tyres look like they've had enough:
2021-05-27-08-21-59.jpg

Suspension set to full soft now, then i'll start tweaking until I decide with new setup to go for.

On other matters, new audio stuff has been ordered to sort out the only one speaker playing issue and i might treat myself to the PCCM+ :?:

Any thoughts on the cup air filter from BMC? I've heard that they sound great but may lose a bit of power due to the hot air from the engine? Also, I can only find them at FVD. Does anyone else stock them?

I run the Ohlins R&T on my 996.1 GT3 and have the rear extensions, these are well worth buying and installing. You will need to cut a hole in the carpet to pass them through, but there will be a cutout in it anyway for the cage.

I designed and made some 3D printed clips that attach the adjusters to my roll cage. I can supply these if needed. I will upload a picture later.

pye21 said:
I run the Ohlins R&T on my 996.1 GT3 and have the rear extensions, these are well worth buying and installing. You will need to cut a hole in the carpet to pass them through, but there will be a cutout in it anyway for the cage.

I designed and made some 3D printed clips that attach the adjusters to my roll cage. I can supply these if needed. I will upload a picture later.

Nice one :thumb:

These are the clips.

Attachments

• 93c6d20c_bf75_4cef_9a1e_628323e67088_297.jpeg
    93c6d20c_bf75_4cef_9a1e_628323e67088_297.jpeg
    507.1 KB · Views: 10,681
pye21 said:
These are the clips.

Like these a lot, good work :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads