Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Non 'N rated' tyres with rim protectors

sram

My rear Contis are up for replacement and with non in the UK at the moment I am investigating other options. The fronts are good for at least another 10-20,000 miles, but I would consider getting those changed early and ebaying them.
I don't care about N ratings, but I do care about having a rim protector not only to protect against my spectacular ability to kerb wheels, but also to keep the overall 'look' correct.

Been looking at Rainsports, Goodyear F1s etc etc but can't seem to work out if any have the extra rubber?

Any suggestions?

Michelin PS2 N3

Touch wood. Never kerbed.

Hi Stu.
I have Eagle F1 asymmetric 2's on my car and I'm really happy with them. They have a really nice sized rim protector on them as I was looking for this as well. They are a cracking tyre and get rave reviews. So far I can't fault them. Combined with my new poly bushes the car is transformed.
Including the £40 cashback they cost me under £500 for a set of four fitted at Elite tyres in Rainham.
The only fly in the ointment is that they don't make the fronts in 205/50/17 so you have to buy either 215/45/17 or 225/45/17.
I went for the former, they are only 5mm smaller in radius or 1.8% You really can't tell the difference on the car.
ATB
Steve.

Thanks, but aren't those 'N' rated?
Looking for non N rated but with kerb protection.

Hi Steve

Sounds great, thanks for that! I don't think I'd be overly concerned by the small difference in front size, it's not as if I'm pushing the car or tracking it all the time.
Will definitely keep those on the list of ones to consider. Going to try and make a decision by the end of the week.

Cheers

Stu

Hi Steve

Sounds great, thanks for that! I don't think I'd be overly concerned by the small difference in front size, it's not as if I'm pushing the car or tracking it all the time.
Will definitely keep those on the list of ones to consider. Going to try and make a decision by the end of the week.

Cheers

Stu

Stu
Will take a photo of the rim protector when the weather improves and post so you can see.
Elite assured me that the Eagle F1 has one of the best rim protectors and was one of the reasons I chose them. (that and the rave reviews!)
Steve.

Sram I have Conti MO (merc) rated rears on one of sets of wheels they have a very nice profile and rim protector

Went with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's after Steve's (Citori) recommendation and reading the reviews. After a trip to Italy I have to say I am very impressed with the grip in both wet and dry conditions . Got caught in torrential rain driving back from Dover, 145 miles of very wet motorway and the car felt very stable and confident.

You can get an idea of the amount of rim protection in this picture.....

Thanks jd2. They look good.

Presumably the 5mm difference in the front makes a negligible difference to the speedo reading? Any noticeable difference in handling due to the slightly wider rubber? Any rubbing issues on full lock or lowered suspension? Noticeably better cosmetically?

Damn, another shiny car :oops:
Nice looking PU seal

arghh and now the topic has magically moved to wheels and tyres. This is 993 specific.

sram said:
Thanks jd2. They look good.

Presumably the 5mm difference in the front makes a negligible difference to the speedo reading? Any noticeable difference in handling due to the slightly wider rubber? Any rubbing issues on full lock or lowered suspension? Noticeably better cosmetically?

Damn, another shiny car :oops:
Nice looking PU seal

Stu.
The speedo sensor is on the back wheel hub IIRC so makes no odds to the reading. I went with the 215's as I have heard that 225's can be a bit "tram liney" although I can't verify this. Also 225's on a 7" rim is a bit on the limit size wise, but I have heard people do fit them.
No problems with rubbing etc, I had 225/40/18's on before and they were also fine.
If the 5mm decrease to the tyre size makes any difference to the handling I can't say I have noticed. As I said previously, the Eagles with my new poly bushes have transformed the ride and handling for the better noticeably.
I can't see Jd's picture :dont know: but I will try and take a pic of mine tonight (it will be in the garage!)
Steve.

Ok I can see jds photo on my phone. That's a pretty good representation of the rim protection.
Nice wheels jd. Hope you're happy with them.
Atb
Steve :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DocGastro
Back