Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Nitrogen?

Tinker

So, am I the only one round here who doesn't have nitrogen-filled tyres, then?

Should I and, if so, are there any glitches to watch out for?

There has been plenty of debate and testing on this issue and it is a complete waste of time for those outside of racing circles at the highest level.
Ashley

Found that the frequency of topping up the tyre pressure came down after filling with Nitrogen..nothing else of note.

Air:

78% nitrogen
21% Oxygen
1% others gases

:grin:

:floor:

I had exactly the same thought as I read down the thread :thumb:

That's an interesting thread. I was wondering about Nitrogen.

Like with other things I can think of - its amazing what you can do with some good marketing campaigns and make people believe what you want them to do is the right thing!

I either read or watched a review where they discovered that the pressure fluctuations actually increased with temperature changes, exactly the opposite of what they are supposed to do!

Inert it maybe, more stable? It appears not.

Call me old fashioned, but I'll stick with my ordinary air filled tyres.

Bear in mind that they could save your life if you are being pursued by bad guys & have to drive into a lake or the likes. Once you escape the car, you can use them to breathe under water for a limited time.

I tried CO2 but after a few puffs my face went purple and my tongue hurt trying to stop the air from coming back out :oops:

Nitrogen = smoke + mirrors

Nitrous oxide's where it's at, if you want a laugh :thumb:

Do you track or race or push your tyres to the limit when a stable tyre temperature would matter?

tbrown said:
Air:

78% nitrogen
21% Oxygen
1% others gases

I guess the above composition contains close to zero humidity with minimal Hydrogen?

The only advantage:
If you get it done at Kwik sh!t they re-check and top up for free, so you never have to do it yourself ever again, now that's lazy! :grin:

AAT993 said:
Do you track or race or push your tyres to the limit when a stable tyre temperature would matter?

tbrown said:
Air:

78% nitrogen
21% Oxygen
1% others gases

I guess the above composition contains close to zero humidity with minimal Hydrogen?

This one handles like a ship!

5590393742_c0dccd18ba_b.jpg

And He'2 fitted with twin air-cooled Porsche 930 Turbo blocks for thrust!

GT4 - is that the new Panamera?

My understanding is that the supposed advantage is that there is no moisture in there, the fact it is nitrogen rather than an air mix is irrelevant. At the temperatures most people run their tyres it won't make any difference. When on the track pressures are checked and adjusted regularly anyway so the effect of a reduction in fluctuation in pressure would be minimal.
MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toodog
Back