Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie with interesting story!

Charla

Hi All, newbie to the site but have been reading with interest over past couple months.

Have been mainly a Beemer man, with mainly M3 and M5 as my past cars, but couple months back got the option of a 996 c4 (1999) model.

Now most people will start screaming when I say that I actually bought car without even seeing it, let alone driving it!lol.

It's a long story but basically the car was located in St Leonard's on sea, some 650 miles from where I'm based in Newcastle, had spoken to trader selling the car over the phone and he seemed a genuine person, got loads photos sent of car, had 9 stamps in service history(currently on 84,000), 6 of them from OPC, also got a good part ex price on my 540m sport at the time.

I even got the car delivered for £150, pretty good bearing in mind the distance!

Well, it was time to put a deposit on car and I sat all day waiting for it to arrive, part of me excited, part of me asking what the hell I was doing buying a Porsche without even seeing in the flesh!.
At 3:30 it pulled into the street and straight away I fell in love with it, it could of arrived with only 3 wheels and deck chairs for seats and I'd still have loved it!

I'm not fortunate enough to be able to buy one of these beautiful cars from new and have a bottomless pit of money to throw at it, I do, like most people, have to work long hours in a job I don't particularly like, but, when the thought of another night shift gets me down, I open the garage, take a look inside, and can't help but smile and realize why I do it.

It's difficult to put into words how it feels to drive this lovely machine, but I wish I could bottle it and sell on eBay!

So, in short, a massive gamble, had timing chain gasket that needed replacing straight away, also has a minute oil leak which ill get checked out when at OPC for service next Mon, hope its not RMS!( leaks from above and runs out middle of car just forward of the oil sump plug and to the right of the chain tensioner gasket?)but all in all, think iv been very very lucky!

I don't and wouldn't recommend buying a car in this way, and I never have before, but it just goes to show, you can find love on the Internet without meeting her beforehand!

Thanks to all who help us newbies, they are different in almost every sense to what we have been used to, but the advice and experience that members have and share help us to put our mind at rest when the first symptoms of Porsche Paranoia bite us!

Looking forward to reading and posting in future, I'll get some pics uploaded in due course.

Charla

:welcome:

An interesting story indeed!
Glad it worked out.

I remember picking mine up nearly 10 years ago.

I got stuck in a bad traffic jam on the way home but I've never smiled so much whilst sitting stationary in traffic, either before or since.

Enjoy it. :thumb:

I love threads like this, and they always put a smile on my face, all the best with the car

and Jethro likes this bit too.

Charla said:
I'm not fortunate enough to be able to buy one of these beautiful cars from new and have a bottomless pit of money to throw at it, I do, like most people, have to work long hours in a job I don't particularly like, but, when the thought of another night shift gets me down, I open the garage, take a look inside, and can't help but smile and realize why I do it.

It's difficult to put into words how it feels to drive this lovely machine, but I wish I could bottle it and sell on eBay!

Charla
:)

Hiya and welcome.

Love the story. My kind of decision making :D

:welcome:

Nice story, I have a picture of mine on the inside of my locker at work, everytime I open the locker to pull on my boiler suit, it reminds me its all worth it.

You will find yourself saying to the other half, 'i'm just nipping to the garage to check on MY 911!'

looking forward to your pictures.

Scott.

Cool story mate. Happy days :thumb:
Had mine a few years now, and I swear I still get the same pleasures as did on day 1. :D

Welcome dude, cool story too...I smile just sitting in traffic too, listening to the car burbling. :D

Thanks for replies and best wishes everyone, much appreciated. Confirms what I thought, good site, good people.

Charla

nice story buddy and glad it worked out for you

good luck with the car and ...ENJOY.
cheers

Rob

Excellent story Charla. Not had mine long and have had loads of help here. Great forum. Get some pics up when you get a chance :)

Welcome to the site and congrats on your purchase, brings back memories of when I picked mine up less than 6 months ago.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xx22
Back