Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie with an 'itch'

Andyman

Hi Folks

I'm new to this Forum but have been reading with great interest. After many years i've decided the '911 itch' needs scratching and I'm looking for the right car. I have around £30K to spend and I'm looking for a 911 'to keep'. :)

I would prefer a 993 cabriolet or a SC or 3.2 Targa (not sure about the 993 Targa) and Tiptronic is my prefered option (mainly due to to the benefits in town/city and inevitible traffic jams).

When I'm in the UK I live just outside of Holmfirth (last of the Summer Wine) in West Yorkshire. I have started to pull together a short list of cars for sale private and dealers (all look in excellent condition and come with extensive service history), most are in the Midlands or North of England at the moment but will go any where in the UK for 'the right car'

I have a few areas where I need help.

Due Diligence Obviously I will do the necessary checks (ownership, Insurance, credit etc) before buying. Does anyone know who I could use to do a physical vehicle check? I'm looking for a professional mechanic/engineer who know's 911s inside out. I'm not looking for a 'freebie' and am happy to pay for a professional examination and report.

Servicing Who comes with a good recommendtion for service/repairs of 911s within a 50 mile radius of post code S30? I know there are Porsche main dealers in Sheffield and Leeds but with the older cars who do you use/recommend

Do's and Don'ts Any advice most welcome when it comes to this purchase. From what I've read so far condition is more important than mileage as is a full service history. Are there any things that 'must be done' at certain points to avoid costly repairs further down the road?

Many thanks

Andy :bye:

PS If anyone has a good SC, 3.2 or 993 for sale, or knows of one, let me

Welcome to 911uk :bye:

As cabs are not the most sought-after, and neither are tiptronics, you should be able to source an exceptional example for around 20k GBP IMO.

Key things at purchase? Just like any other car, condition you can 'see' will equal the way it has been treated.

Don't get too hung up on service history dates - the original Porsche maintenance book stated 'oil change every 12,000 miles.'.... only after Porsche got into financial trouble was this amended to '...or every 12 months whichever comes sooner'.

I'd look for enough oil changes, and a spark plug change not more than 4 years ago, but that's IMO.

Various experts can do you a PPI - do a search on here.

I'll keep my eye out for you :D

Why is traffic a problem in rural Yorkshire?

Anyway - here's one at the right sort of price.

You'll probably want to upgrade the 16" wheels, and it doesn't have 'hifi' but this would be worth a visit. It has the nice 'early' sports seats as well.

£19,950Porsche 911 2DR AUTO 3.6 1995

ps the one with a blue hood up at 30k GBP is

a) stupidly overpriced

and from a glance at the photos

b) has poorly fitted/wrong exhaust
c) panel gap at the front looks poor

... so I'd treat that with extreme caution.

Hello, and welcome.
If your dead set on a tip, you will have to have either a 964 or 993 as the earlier cars only came as a manual.
Jackal has a very good buyers guide on his web page for the 993, just google jackals forge.
Good luck with the car hunting.
Steve.

Thanks for the replies. Its not rural Yorkshire that's the problem is urban anywhere :x

So far these three have caught my eye :wink:

PORSCHE 911 CARRERA CABRIOLET 1995 (1995) £34,950

THIS IS PRETTY MUCH A CONCOURS CAR, WITH FULL SERVICE HISTORY,AND LOTS AND LOTS OF PAPERWORK, ONLY BEEN USED ON DRY DAYS ALL ITS LIFE, WITH ONLY 42K, CAN ONLY BE DISCRIBED AS PRISTINE CONDITION, JUST BEEN TAKEN OFF ITS WINTER SORN, THE CAR DRIVES AS NEW,

http://www.uksportsandprestige.co.uk/used-cars/porsche-911-2dr-auto-harrogate-201311505397819

porsche-911-convertible-2dr-auto-132005769-640x480.jpg

http://www.gmundcars.com/cars/885/911carreratarga.html

and I do like this one although and I will have to help stir the gear box myself 8)

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C373285

Hi and welcome,

I have a cabriolet and it's a Tip, I am biased but when you live in a country where the sun shines pretty much every day :D you can't beat it, plus the tip with the paddles on the steering wheel give you a lot of fun too! IIRC the acceleration, 0 to 60 between a manual and a Tip is not even a second :p

You've come to the right place for advice, the knowledge base on here is second to none, however, if you require any Cabriolet, Tip specific info don't hesitate to ask. I've had mine coming up 14 of it's 18 years.

ATB :)

Hi

I have nothing specific re the Cab other than anything you realy need to check , eg rubber seals etc. I assume that at some point the seals need replacing to keep the hood water tight etc :?:

Andy

Andyman said:
Hi

I have nothing specific re the Cab other than anything you realy need to check , eg rubber seals etc. I assume that at some point the seals need replacing to keep the hood water tight etc :?:

Andy

Hi,

Yep check the seals and the hood as well as the L&R gear drives, they have a limited life. I had all the above on mine replaced in 2010 when the car was 15 years old and it was needed. I also had the re call done on the front locking motors in 2010, look out for that too.

Thanks for the tip. I take it you are refering to the drives for the hood? If they need replacing what cost should I budget for? I take it the front locking motors are on the hood too :?: Sorry for the questions but L Plates deffo on when it comes to a 911. All info most welcome :thumbs:

On the older two, IMO and own personal experience, bodywork and inspection of it is more critical than mechanical.
:thumb:

Make sure you know what words like 'Kidney bowl','B pillar' and 'A pillar' mean, be aware of wing, panel and bumper (made of laminated ally) cost. Snoop aound a forum like 'Impact bumpers' to see real life examples of what to look for. (£700 a wing, £700 a bumper, £1000 a side for B pillars and bowls etc, meant my 3.2 got to six grand in bits before I talked stripdown, labour and paint). Buy a good one.
:(

On the 993, check all the lights work, that there is some air in the tyres, and drive it home. The rust to fear on these is laughable by comparison.
:)

Andyman said:
Thanks for the tip. I take it you are refering to the drives for the hood? If they need replacing what cost should I budget for? I take it the front locking motors are on the hood too :?: Sorry for the questions but L Plates deffo on when it comes to a 911. All info most welcome :thumbs:

Hi,

Yes the drives for the hood, the gears wear and the hood drops when it gets past the 12 O'Clock position, whereas it should come down smoothly. They are not cheap, I think around 450 quid each, so you don't want to be replacing them if you can avoid it. Yes the front locking motors are on the front of the hood and lock once the hood is closed. If the recall (A 502) is still out standing Porsche will do it FOC, well they did for me and the car was 15 years old!

orangecurry said:
ps I sold my 1989 Guards Red Supersport Cabrio with half that mileage for 19k GBP last year :grin: perhaps I should go and buy it back :D

I really wouldn't bother, think you were lucky to get that for it, after all

"cabs are not the most sort after"

:hand:

Thanks for the info, after waiting 30 years for a 911 I'd like to try and get it right. I appreciate 'cheapest to buy' is often not 'cheapest to run'. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfaMax1996
Back