Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie, stereo double DIN question - sorry ! Bristol

stephen.gazard

New member
Joined
25 Aug 2013
Messages
30
Sorry in advance but I've searched and can't find the answer I am looking for.

I am picking up a 1998 996 next week with PCM 1 in it.

I am interested in hooking up iPhone 5 and it looks to me as though I may as well upgrade the whole unit to a new Double DIN versus adding iPhone etc.

I don't know if it has BOSE amplifier but guessing so.

So my questions are:

- what double DIN does anyone recommend that allows bluetooth streaming

- what fascia kit do I need - although mine is pre facelift the centre console has been replaced with one with cupholders and the fascia kits I can find seem to be non cupholder ones?

- does anyone know a good audio shop in Bristol area to potentially carry out the work?

Thanks
 
In Briatol, Western Car Radio is one of the most popular/reputable places to go for stereo upgrades and advice. They're based down near the Harbourside at the bottom of Jacob Wells Road.

I've not used them before but know plenty of people who have. Might be worth a call?
 
I had a Kenwood with sat nav, blue tooth, iPhone connection fitted over 3 yrs ago, always been happy with, try Kenwood DNX 9620 BT. I understand Pioneers is also very good.
Hope this helps.
:)
 
Red993C4 said:
stephen.gazard said:
I don't know if it has BOSE amplifier but guessing so.

Do your door speakers have Bose logos on their grills?


Does the bose system make it any more awkward for those of us that have PCM 1?
 
chriscoates81 said:
Red993C4 said:
stephen.gazard said:
I don't know if it has BOSE amplifier but guessing so.

Do your door speakers have Bose logos on their grills?


Does the bose system make it any more awkward for those of us that have PCM 1?

Not that I'm aware of as a decent ICE fitter should be able to hook up the amp. It's PCM 2 and MOST that causes problems with after market HUs.
 
stephen.gazard said:

Hey, I'm looking to get a doublwe Din Dab unit installed and like you I have a 996 with a cupholder. Did the above fascia work for you ?
 
stephen.gazard said:
Sorry in advance but I've searched and can't find the answer I am looking for.

I am picking up a 1998 996 next week with PCM 1 in it.

I am interested in hooking up iPhone 5 and it looks to me as though I may as well upgrade the whole unit to a new Double DIN versus adding iPhone etc.

I don't know if it has BOSE amplifier but guessing so.

So my questions are:

- what double DIN does anyone recommend that allows bluetooth streaming

- what fascia kit do I need - although mine is pre facelift the centre console has been replaced with one with cupholders and the fascia kits I can find seem to be non cupholder ones?

If you are going to replace the HU then why would you bother with BT streaming for your music? I would go with something that connects directly and keeps the phone charged etc.

I had a Kenwood DNX and it was excellent especially with the trafic add-on. That Garmin Nav is very good. BUT I found it a bit tricky to operate as the 911 is very much in tune with the tarmac.

I now have an AppRadio from Pioneer, the new one looks really good especially with iPhone 5 and mirroring. I suggest wandering into Halfords and making use of the demo units for that.

-Double DIN was a Right PITA for me. I feel your pain with the cupholder business. In the end, I just made my own fascia from some textured black perspex and it is not really even noticeable IMO. I'll upload a picture in a bit for you.
 
Here you go:

12462356743_d25f3c6b02.jpg


Something like this is what I used
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3mm-Matt-...485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a71f2aca5

Richard
 
I've seen a few with the Parrot Asteroid Double-Din unit

I think someone posted up pics last year on here too

It has SatNav, Music Streaming, Internet radio, Spotify as well as hands-free too
 
I didn't need to move my climate as I had PCM but I did get rid of the CD holder so I had to get the cubby hole part. I bought it from OPC Tonbridge and it was around £30. Very reasonable, I am sure that the climate bezel won't be much different in price.

There is loads of room to work in there once you remove the headunit etc. I am sure I have read that you don't need to worry about extending wires or anything of that nature, just re-route and clip in place.
 
I would definitely fit a DD unit that had navigation built in !!!
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,284
Messages
1,443,760
Members
49,397
Latest member
246dbo
Back
Top