Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie 997.2 Carrera 4 and Q's (pic)

neunelfer888

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2013
Messages
9
Hi All

Been snooping around here for a while but have yet to make a post. Newly acquired secondhand 997.2 Carrera 4 PDK which I am loving. Bought with 12k on the clock from a main BMW dealer and given the 111-pt check by Bolton Porsche. In the somewhat crazy situation of the Porsche warranty having been 'voided' by the sale by the first owner to the BMW dealer, I can't apply a Porsche standalone warranty until 90 days have passed, though I have a letter from the Beemer dealer warranting it 'as if it had a Porsche Approved Warranty'. Sailed through the 111-pt check after having a new horn fitted (possibly the car had been left standing as wheel bolts were also rusty) and interim maintenance (oil, filter, brake fluid). Thanks to Paul Darlington and Jon Challis at Bolton Porsche for their cooperation so far.

For those interested, I did ask Porsche Bolton for DME 'over rev' info but they said it was fine 'because it's a PDK car'. Read of concerns elsewhere but car seems fine so far. I appreciate that it's hard to/unlikely to have been over revved but I did want to take all appropriate precautions, considering the not insubstantial 'investment' - a lot of dough to me at £46k.

Only fault so far seems to be a missing pin in the cup retainer part of the right cup holder. Not sure how to fix it! Non-Bose stereo a bit weedy and no PSE to make up for it! Not sure about the alloys either. Would have preferred the 19" Carrera S IIs I think but should really be on 18s for comfort as no PASM but beggars can't be choosers and it's hard to find a C4 (non-S) anywhere. Any views on tyres? Mine has nearly new Pirelli P Zero Rossos but they seem noisy/hard ride. Also black will be a ***** to clean...

As for the car, I'd driven a C2S 997.2 at another OPC and enjoyed it. Always liked the idea of a sure-footed C4 though. Couldn't stretch to a C4S really and found this C4 still great to drive.

Still unsure of PDK as a manual fan but needed the wife to be happy driving this too, hence the choice.

Quick question about the front grille. Having seen the posts regarding aftermarket Zunsport grilles, any views on how necessary these are? The condensers (aircon) or rads that you can see through the grille gaps do seem a bit exposed to a novice.

Anyway, hello to you all. Expect to post more soon.

Neunelfer.
 

Attachments

  • image_451.jpg
    image_451.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 4,180
Nice looking car, well done
 
Zunsport grills will void the OPC warranty, if you were going to purchase it. Don't worry about the rusty wheel bolts, TADTS.

Great looking car, not a fan of the wheels either but then I didn't like mine either when I bought the car so they may well grow on you!
 
Welcome to 911uk and congrats on your new purchase. The C4 is indeed a rare model but in the real world it will do everything a C4S will do. You did well to keep the 19" Turbo II wheels - they are very attractive and a much sought after option. Bose would not have made matters any better if truth be told as there is so much tyre roar into the cabin that it drowns out many sound frequencies.

Any other pics? What's the full spec of the car? Just a suggestion but you may want to get some spacers for the rear wheels to fill out the arches a little more.

~ Maxie :thumb:
 
Looks good.... Congrats! :thumbs:
 
Maxie said:
Welcome to 911uk and congrats on your new purchase. The C4 is indeed a rare model but in the real world it will do everything a C4S will do. You did well to keep the 19" Turbo II wheels - they are very attractive and a much sought after option. Bose would not have made matters any better if truth be told as there is so much tyre roar into the cabin that it drowns out many sound frequencies.

Any other pics? What's the full spec of the car? Just a suggestion but you may want to get some spacers for the rear wheels to fill out the arches a little more.

~ Maxie :thumb:


Thank you very much. Full spec is:-

PDK
Leather Sport Seats
Sports Chrono
Alcantara Multifunction Steering Wheel
PCM 3.0 with extd nav (whatever that is?)
Heated Seats
Cruise Control
Universal Audio

Can you tell me what's the deal with wheel spacers. Hadn't noticed until you said. Why are they not wider from the factory?
 
Ekona said:
Zunsport grills will void the OPC warranty, if you were going to purchase it.

Are the grills easily removable before/when the car goes for OPC?

Thank you

Ahmed
 
If they're like the gen1 grills then yes, piece of cake.
 
Agree with Maxie, love the wheels!!

Enjoy :)

-AP
 
neunelfer888 said:
Can you tell me what's the deal with wheel spacers. Hadn't noticed until you said. Why are they not wider from the factory?

You can buy spacers from any OPC or Porsche specilists (a few of them sponsor this site so they will be listed here). I am just wondering if your wheels were fitted from the factory or if they were retro-fitted. Best way to tell is to run your chassis no. by any Porsche OPC and they will tell you the exact spec as it left the factory. If they are factory fitted then probably no need to add spacers (in my eyes it looks as though the narrow body wheels have been fitted but I could be totally incorrect).

~ Maxie
 
Maxie said:
neunelfer888 said:
Can you tell me what's the deal with wheel spacers. Hadn't noticed until you said. Why are they not wider from the factory?

You can buy spacers from any OPC or Porsche specilists (a few of them sponsor this site so they will be listed here). I am just wondering if your wheels were fitted from the factory or if they were retro-fitted. Best way to tell is to run your chassis no. by any Porsche OPC and they will tell you the exact spec as it left the factory. If they are factory fitted then probably no need to add spacers (in my eyes it looks as though the narrow body wheels have been fitted but I could be totally incorrect).

~ Maxie

Thanks Maxie, that's really helpful. I'll have a chat with the supplying dealer, as well as a look myself, to see if the wheels are factory fitted or otherwise. thanks for all your help here. I was a bit lost until you explained. If I do want/need spacers, I guess I'll be going down the OPC route for warranty reasons.

Thanks again for your help and the welcome. Will post some more pics when I get a chance to take some.
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,090
Messages
1,437,039
Members
48,483
Latest member
7CUU
Back
Top