Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Tyres?

PaulRH

Trainee
Hello All,

My 997.2 Targs $s has Bridgestones on it and they are 2014 front/2016 rear.
The thread is ok but i have heard various issues with certain compounds hardening with age.
As i have budgeted for a new set in a 4 year period im thinking change now enjoy now.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thinking maybe PS4S and an alignment check.

Perfect, you answered that yourself spot on!

PS4S and an alignment would be ideal imo

Just watch the dates if you buy online, some are two years old when you get them new.

PS4S is a superb tyre. You will see a big difference in grip.

These cars are very sensitive. :thumb:

I'm not sure I'd be in a big rush, especially if you're not planning a road trip or some extended use of the car, but if you've money burning a hole in your pocket new rubber is always a good idea and always freshens up a car.

I would ask though, do you feel that the tyres have gone off? More wandery in the wet? In my experience, you go out one day and you just know, the grip's not there any more, the tyres have given their best. And have you been able to check the wear on the inner edges of the rears, they can wear down to the cords and you won't feel that until suddenly there's no grip... a cold morning say. The fronts look a bit old at 2014, but if they're not cracked, or otherwise visibly aged, and you can't feel any front end issues (vagueness, lack of bite, early ABS), you might wait a year.

PaulRH said:
.......... As i have budgeted for a new set in a 4 year period im thinking change now enjoy now.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thinking maybe PS4S and an alignment check.

From that it sounds as though you don't do many miles but are planning to keep the car for a few years.

In those circumstances I'd want to enjoy every drive to the best extent I could so putting fresh tyres and getting a GEO done now would facilitate that. :thumb:

I'd begrudge running the car on old tyres and then having to put new ones on for the next owner to enjoy.

Thanks guys.

in respone to MaxA i haven't had the car long enough to notice a change in anything and certainly not driven in the wet yet. I am stilling ery much getting use to it.

I feel there is a lot of road noise but i know that that is a Porsche issue.

I hope to put about 5K miles a year on it on average and as T8 says i want to enjoy the best of it not do it for the next guy. Waiting another year or spending £300 more isnt the issue.

Thanks
Again

I have just replaced the tyres on my car with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

When I bought my 997.1 Carrera S last October , I knew the tyres needed replaced so I negotiated them off the price. The tyres were 7 years old but had plenty of tread, about 6mm left. Although the edges of the tyre were cracked... obviously the car hadn't done very many miles in the last 7 years!

What a difference new rubber makes! The suspension seems nicer, the tyre roar is definitely reduced and the grip is fantastic! Should have replaced them months ago!!

Fully fitted they cost £800 but Michelin were doing an offer - I got £100 cash back on a prepaid credit card.

EJL said:
I have just replaced the tyres on my car with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

When I bought my 997.1 Carrera S last October , I knew the tyres needed replaced so I negotiated them off the price. The tyres were 7 years old but had plenty of tread, about 6mm left. Although the edges of the tyre were cracked... obviously the car hadn't done very many miles in the last 7 years!

What a difference new rubber makes! The suspension seems nicer, the tyre roar is definitely reduced and the grip is fantastic! Should have replaced them months ago!!

Fully fitted they cost £800 but Michelin were doing an offer - I got £100 cash back on a prepaid credit card.

Very similar experience with my own car. MPS4S have really stepped the experience up for me and I couldn't believe the hype before buying them but they really are great

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markevo6
Back