Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Car - Silver 964 C2 Restoration started

stichill99

Sao Paulo
After having the 993 written off I always had a longing for an original shape 911 but still wanting power steering,abs I looked for a 964 C2 and one came up at the other end of the country so took the plunge!
Very few C2s came up when I was looking but this one ticked enough boxes. Inspected and came back with a good report so have taken the plunge!
Very pleased at the way it drives but the only annoying issue is when started from cold unless you keep the revs on it will just stall! My 993 ticked over like a rolex from cold. When warm it ticks over perfectly. Would this be a problem with the idle stabilisation valve?

Attachments

• dsc_0531_167.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 962
  • DSC_0514.JPG
    DSC_0514.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
Sounds like ISV to start with. And daft as it may sound how good is the battery and I'd replace the -ve earth strap as the latter caused all sorts of issues with mine despite looking OK :roll:

I was really shocked to see the pic that you posted of your damaged 993.

Congrats on your 964 acquisition, it looks great.

Sorry no 964 or Motronic experience.

My mate, who sadly passed a few weeks back, just went through this with his '89 G.

He replaced the ISV, ground strap and quite a bit else.

In the end he took it to another garage and they took an ecu out of another car they had there and popped that one in and it was perfect.

Not saying it is that, but something to consider when diagnosing. If someone else has an ecu you can quickly try it might save a lot of time and money.

Good luck.

Another thing to look at is the CHT sensor, if you have no luck with cleaning the ISV.

Also, unlikely to be related I would think, but check the idle micro switch is closed when you’re off the throttle.

Lovely :thumbs: ………wishing you many happy miles

Great looking car Stichill. 8)

Glad you found one and it really does look good. Cup 1’s, cup mirrors and it sits really nice. I’d be fitting orange indicators but that’s just me.

Enjoy and I hope it’s good to you. :thumb:

PS. Yes it should start on the button and idle smoothly as others have said.
Can’t be a big issue though so hopefully an easy fix.

Thank you Gents :thumb: It has been modified in a way I would like to have done but would probably never gotten round to doing. It has Recaro pole positions,Momo porsche dished steering wheel, engine rebuild with new,seals,gaskets and tinware,new engine mounts,new bilstein coilover suspension,new clutch and rs short shifter gear linkage.
It also has the same pedal positions as a 993 with it being a late 1993 car.
The only thing not perfect is the Zingari's favourite blue interior but withe pole positions and steering wheel being black I can live with it.
The previous owner had been working his way through the car and he thought he would never sell it but sadly divorce caused the sale!

Congrats and welcome! If the idle is good when warm then it could be the head temp sensor. O2 sensor can be a pain if its on the way out. What voltage is at the battery? if its not near 13v and nearer 12v then recharge. One more thing and probably worth doing after the battery check, disconnect the battery then start the car and dont touch the throttle. See if the idle settles down on its own.

Looks to be a tidy example, I’ll look out for you when I’m buzzing around the borders.

I had similar with mine some time back and a good clean of the ISV helped significantly. Recently had a couple of instances of a rough idle on start up so maybe I’ll give it another clean and see how it goes.

Looks lovely. I've always thought silver the best colour on a 964. Sorry to hear about the 993 you used up one of your 9 lives in that one. Enjoy :thumb:

IMI A said:
Looks lovely. I've always thought silver the best colour on a 964. Sorry to hear about the 993 you used up one of your 9 lives in that one. Enjoy :thumb:
Absolutely I did. Cannot believe the 19year old driver that came round the bend on my side of the road pleaded not guilty in the sherriff court last week so now we need to go to trial in January :?:

Ghengis said:
Looks to be a tidy example, I’ll look out for you when I’m buzzing around the borders.

I had similar with mine some time back and a good clean of the ISV helped significantly. Recently had a couple of instances of a rough idle on start up so maybe I’ll give it another clean and see how it goes.
Hi Ghengis It is a few years ago now that I briefly spoke to you at the Moffat Classic Car show but I would like to get down to some shows in the North East next summer! Cheers :thumb:

Hi Stichill99,

That's a lovely looking car, great in silver showing off the traditional 911 lines, everything a 964 should be. Enjoy!

Cheers,
Paul

Lovely example, well done! Looks like I just missed you as I've just put my 964 C2 up for sale a week or 2 later!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vrover_993
Back