Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 964 Owner with whistling fan and some questions

Alxd912

Silverstone
Joined
8 Dec 2014
Messages
102
Hey,

So I am now the owner of my very 1st Porsch 1991 964 which has been a life long dream to own a 911 since I was a very young lad.

Anyhow its winter here in Finland so the car is tucked away in the garage till the snow goes away.

So to the subject in hand and please remember I am a total newbie so I may not give the right names for the parts but I have some questions.
1#
With the car ignition on but the engine not running a get a whistling or squeaking sound when I have the fan speed between 0 and 2 but above that it goes away. I will try and attach a link to the video.
https://youtu.be/K8slirWYzP8

I read some articles and I did remove the CCU and grease the fan there. But probably obvious to people in the know that it wouldn't fix it.
From where could the noise come from? I read that there are 2 blowers under the bonnet (Left and right) so if it is one of those, how would I find out which one is the culprit?
If it is one of those can those be stripped and fixed, eg of a bearing is worn out?

2#
The door pins have dropped and again I have read some articles, but one area I was not 100% sure was, do the hinges have those bushes (look brass coloured) and do those need replacing? If so is it easier to remove the whole door?
Also can the pin removal be made by hammer and a punch, or just leave it to a professional to do?

3#
I suspect that the Mirror adjusting joy stick in the door is faulty as it does not seem to move either mirror when in the Right most position. Can these switches be dismantled and fixed or do you need to replace it and if so are there any after market ones, or only Porsche ones?


Well that's it for now, but I am sure I will have lots more silly questions.

Thanks again

Alex
 
1 / i suspect that is a fan bearing noise and probably you need a new fan motor .. pull the cover off each side and listen to the fans .. it should be obvious which side its coming from .

Sometimes removing and refitting might help .. it's always possible the fan is worn and touching the cowling but i suspect a new motor is required .

2/ .. i personally would get a body shop to have a look .. im a mechanic but when it comes to door hinges i leave it to our body shop next door .. can't help there i'm afraid .

3 / Wiring diagram below .. its a case of checking feeds at the switch ..
 

Attachments

  • p2_1_205.jpg
    p2_1_205.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 3,264
  • p1_1_116.jpg
    p1_1_116.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 3,264
It is the classic sound of the blower fan bearings wearing out. As DeMort mentions you can ake the covers off and attempt to spray a lubicant on the centre spindle. It might sort it short term but not fix it.

The bad news these fans are horrendously expensive although there is a suggestion on Rennlist somewhere another car maker has a compatible part (Mercedes ??)

These might help:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...t/59-ELEC-Front_Blower_Motors_Replacement.htm

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/204420-heater-blower-motor-front-dash-3.html

I'm presuming the noise is not the small sampling air fan in the HVAC unit in the dash as that spins irrespective of fan setting speed? That's an easier fix.
 
Hey,
Big thanks for this and after looking at the pins and the pictures I wonder if they have been replaced but upside down?
So probably best to take it somewhere.

Cheers for the information on the fans and the electrics for the morror:)
I will write a bit more in the next post about the fans.

Cheers Again:)



deMort said:
1 / i suspect that is a fan bearing noise and probably you need a new fan motor .. pull the cover off each side and listen to the fans .. it should be obvious which side its coming from .

Sometimes removing and refitting might help .. it's always possible the fan is worn and touching the cowling but i suspect a new motor is required .

2/ .. i personally would get a body shop to have a look .. im a mechanic but when it comes to door hinges i leave it to our body shop next door .. can't help there i'm afraid .

3 / Wiring diagram below .. its a case of checking feeds at the switch ..
 
Hey,

So I found the suspect fan. Its the right one as if you are sitting in the car.
I think this is the easier one to take out from what I have read and big thanks for those links as its very clearly shown what I need to do.
Once out I wil give it a better look to see how it is constructed.
As for the price I was a bit horrified at the price so I will try and search a bit more about possible alternative.

Thanks again for all your help.

Alex


Zingari said:
It is the classic sound of the blower fan bearings wearing out. As DeMort mentions you can ake the covers off and attempt to spray a lubicant on the centre spindle. It might sort it short term but not fix it.

The bad news these fans are horrendously expensive although there is a suggestion on Rennlist somewhere another car maker has a compatible part (Mercedes ??)

These might help:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...t/59-ELEC-Front_Blower_Motors_Replacement.htm

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/204420-heater-blower-motor-front-dash-3.html

I'm presuming the noise is not the small sampling air fan in the HVAC unit in the dash as that spins irrespective of fan setting speed? That's an easier fix.
 
Hey,

So I found the suspect fan. Its the right one as if you are sitting in the car.
I think this is the easier one to take out from what I have read and big thanks for those links as its very clearly shown what I need to do.
Once out I wil give it a better look to see how it is constructed.
As for the price I was a bit horrified at the price so I will try and search a bit more about possible alternative.

Thanks again for all your help.

Alex


Zingari said:
It is the classic sound of the blower fan bearings wearing out. As DeMort mentions you can ake the covers off and attempt to spray a lubicant on the centre spindle. It might sort it short term but not fix it.

The bad news these fans are horrendously expensive although there is a suggestion on Rennlist somewhere another car maker has a compatible part (Mercedes ??)

These might help:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techar...t/59-ELEC-Front_Blower_Motors_Replacement.htm

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/204420-heater-blower-motor-front-dash-3.html

I'm presuming the noise is not the small sampling air fan in the HVAC unit in the dash as that spins irrespective of fan setting speed? That's an easier fix.
 
Alxd912 said:
Hey,

So I am now the owner of my very 1st Porsch 1991 964 which has been a life long dream to own a 911 since I was a very young lad.

Congratulations!

Have you posted any pictures of it yet?
 
spooky said:
Alxd912 said:
Hey,

So I am now the owner of my very 1st Porsch 1991 964 which has been a life long dream to own a 911 since I was a very young lad.

Congratulations!

Have you posted any pictures of it yet?

Pictures will be coming soon:)
 
Let me start by saying if the pictures have been duplicated then I have no idea what happened.
I hope you can still understand the message.



So I starting to remove the fan following the instuctions from Pelican parts.

During the process I found a couple of things that maybe some of you can help me with.
1# The fuse box seems to have had a slot cut in it. I think you should be able to see it from the picture. In hte slot was some material?

img_3198_642.jpeg

img_3199_694.jpeg


2# There was a rubber part that looks like a bump stop of some sort. Any idea where this goes?

img_3200_193.jpeg


3# Finally got the the fan and removed the outer housing and found that a ring (see picture) was cracked. I applied a little pressure to it and it cracked in half.
I was wondering could this crack contributed with the whistling sounds I was getting?

img_3205_181.jpeg


img_3206_185.jpeg



4# is there meant to be some gasket in the grooves of the fan housing?

img_3209_187.jpeg


5# There seems to be no play in the motor when i lift the squirrel cage up and down, basically no play in it all. It spins quite freely, but just wondering do I go through the pain of removing the fan to check it, or try and spray some lube to the fan axel at the front? I read that WD40 is NOT a good spray to use. Rather than a bearing is it brass or similar style bush there?


All help very appreciated.

Alex
 

Attachments

  • img_3200_193.jpeg
    img_3200_193.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 2,899
  • img_3198_642.jpeg
    img_3198_642.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 2,899
  • img_3199_694.jpeg
    img_3199_694.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 2,899
  • img_3205_181.jpeg
    img_3205_181.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 2,899
  • img_3206_185.jpeg
    img_3206_185.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 2,899
  • img_3209_187.jpeg
    img_3209_187.jpeg
    269.8 KB · Views: 2,899
This is one of those .. i've seen that before moments but where the hell was it fitted ..

Pretty sure it's in the location i've arrowed below .. end part of the rubber seal along the bulkhead panel .
 

Attachments

  • image015_105.jpg
    image015_105.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2,849
deMort said:
This is one of those .. i've seen that before moments but where the hell was it fitted ..

Pretty sure it's in the location i've arrowed below .. end part of the rubber seal along the bulkhead panel .

Thanks and it sure was that part:)

Other side has it which is great....

Thanks again for your help.

Alex
 
Hi,

I see you have stripped the fan assembly, it's a pity I didn't spot your thread earlier, if you haven't already sorted it ther is a fix.

I had the same problem with mine when I bought it about 10 years ago and read with horror all the attempts at fixes, even down to replacing the fans with a Mercedes part (same) but there is an easy fix.

When I say easy, I mean 'easier' because you need to be a contortionist to get your head under the dash but all you need to do is give the fan spindle a squirt of teflon fin lube and after some use and perhaps a 2nd squirt it should run silent.

It worked for me and I've never had a problem since.

Link: https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...jmtqnznIn2AhVNT8AKHT_sB_cQ9aACegQICBAN&adurl=

I should point out this is a teflon based product for fans, unlike WD40 etc. which should not be used.

Cheers,
Paul
 
paul284pt said:
Hi,

I see you have stripped the fan assembly, it's a pity I didn't spot your thread earlier, if you haven't already sorted it ther is a fix.

I had the same problem with mine when I bought it about 10 years ago and read with horror all the attempts at fixes, even down to replacing the fans with a Mercedes part (same) but there is an easy fix.

When I say easy, I mean 'easier' because you need to be a contortionist to get your head under the dash but all you need to do is give the fan spindle a squirt of teflon fin lube and after some use and perhaps a 2nd squirt it should run silent.

It worked for me and I've never had a problem since.

Link: https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...jmtqnznIn2AhVNT8AKHT_sB_cQ9aACegQICBAN&adurl=

I should point out this is a teflon based product for fans, unlike WD40 etc. which should not be used.

Cheers,
Paul

Hey Paul

You are not too late:)

Actually where I am is that I have got to the point where I was thinking do I take the fan out and decided not to.
I started to apply PTFE spray to the spindle through the squirrel cage. Just doing small sprays on it then waiting a couple of hours and doing it again hoping it can work its way to the bush.
Knowing what you said I will try and get to the back part of the spindle from inside.
Though I am glad what I am doing as I found that cracked part as shown in the pictures above. It's all fixed now and seems you can't find the new part anywhere for the right side. Is it some weak point I wonder??

There was also some parts that need tightening up, so all good:)

As I may have mentioned there was no play in the spindle, so just dry I am sure.

Once all done I will report back to the forum..

BTW what is the Merc fan and is it cheaper than the ones for the Porsche? They seem to be around the 200Eur mark.

Next job I was thinking about was the Spark Plug leads, but after looking I think I will leave that job to the professionals!

Cheers again
Alex
 
Alxd912 said:
paul284pt said:
Hi,

I see you have stripped the fan assembly, it's a pity I didn't spot your thread earlier, if you haven't already sorted it ther is a fix.

I had the same problem with mine when I bought it about 10 years ago and read with horror all the attempts at fixes, even down to replacing the fans with a Mercedes part (same) but there is an easy fix.

When I say easy, I mean 'easier' because you need to be a contortionist to get your head under the dash but all you need to do is give the fan spindle a squirt of teflon fin lube and after some use and perhaps a 2nd squirt it should run silent.

It worked for me and I've never had a problem since.

Link: https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...jmtqnznIn2AhVNT8AKHT_sB_cQ9aACegQICBAN&adurl=

I should point out this is a teflon based product for fans, unlike WD40 etc. which should not be used.

Cheers,
Paul

Hey Paul

You are not too late:)

Actually where I am is that I have got to the point where I was thinking do I take the fan out and decided not to.
I started to apply PTFE spray to the spindle through the squirrel cage. Just doing small sprays on it then waiting a couple of hours and doing it again hoping it can work its way to the bush.
Knowing what you said I will try and get to the back part of the spindle from inside.
Though I am glad what I am doing as I found that cracked part as shown in the pictures above. It's all fixed now and seems you can't find the new part anywhere for the right side. Is it some weak point I wonder??

There was also some parts that need tightening up, so all good:)

As I may have mentioned there was no play in the spindle, so just dry I am sure.

Once all done I will report back to the forum..

BTW what is the Merc fan and is it cheaper than the ones for the Porsche? They seem to be around the 200Eur mark.

Next job I was thinking about was the Spark Plug leads, but after looking I think I will leave that job to the professionals!

Cheers again
Alex

Hey

So the squeaking sound has no gone for the meantime:)

Thanks to all for your help.

Cheers

Alex
 

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
124,808
Messages
1,448,750
Members
49,997
Latest member
jsl997
Back
Top