Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

need knowledge

Luke R

Monza
being such a nipper, i kinda pride myself on my technical knowledge of cars. however, i realise that there is a vast amount which i do not know and am eager to learn. i always wanted to be a mechanic as a lad but my dad wouldnt let me because he wanted me to earn some decent money! i couldnt see it at the time.

anyway, i was just wondering if any of you guys knew of any websites that offer explanations on how various parts of cars work etc or anything along the same lines?

thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6039

Hi Luke. You could get the high earning job and play with cars at the weekend?

Simon, welcome. Your car is rare, have you any pictures?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6060

Thanks Noony. Unfortunately I'm getting a little ahead of myself with the signature - I only bought it last week and don't pick it up til next week! So pictures could be a little while away yet...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6081

Simon.....don't you DARE remove the whale-tail....its all part of the original car, and hence wouldn't be the same without it.

They look fantastic and are just SO 911!!

Marc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6082

Marc... yes I think you're right. Which is why it will probably stay.

I do think they look (slightly) better without but I am keen to keep the originality, and this one even has the blaupunt cassette/radio they came with at the time. Who listens to music in a 911 anyway?!

Simon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6083

Me! Have an engine noise of the ''wussy'' variety in our 996, with no sports exhaust, so the cd player will have to do!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6084

Just to put the other side of story ......

The whale tail must go !!!!!! I've taken mine off and think the car looks soooo much better without it. There are a few threads on here about removing them - have a good search around. Put simply you either weld up the holes on the existing engine lid or buy a second hand spoilerless lid and spray to match. I took the second option which means that if someone is really concerned about originality when I come to sell then they can put the old lid plus spoiler back on - in the meantime it's gathering dust in the barn at home.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6125

If its a whale tail, it should stay. If it is a tea-try tail it should go. Whale-tails are great!!!

Sorry, Jamie!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6126

I'm no expert -- hey, I just got here -- but happens to the aerodynamics if you remove the rear spoiler, especially if the front splitter/dam remains?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6127

Keep the Whale Tail! Its everything the 80's stood for; oversized and extravagant, not to mention, its very useful for resting things on while trying to find car keys etc, etc...

Wazza (proud of my whale tail!)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6129

Clearly this is a matter on which opinions are split.

Phil I think it's time for one of your little polls on the homepage........

Whale-tail yes or no ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6130

I totally can't make my mind up! (Oh and it's a whale-tail, not a tea-tray.)

The whale-tail is an 80's thing on an 80's car. But I do think it looks slightly better without.

Guess it will stay on because I don't feel strongly enough to take it off.

A poll could be very interesting though..........

Simon

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6135

The poll software has gone AWOL since I redesigned the site, maybe we should have a vote on whether to bring it back? :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6137

Yes Phil, bring back the poll !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6152

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back